Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martin Scorsese Is Letting Go

• 1 year later...

Sounds like an old fogy who doesn't like new things. Rather ironic since Marty was seen as one

of the new young "rebel" directors in the 1970s. Yeah the March issue of Harper's has a cover

story titled Scorsese on Fellini and the Lost Magic of Cinema with a still from La Dolce Vita

on the cover. 

Image result for national review logo

FILM & TV

Martin Scorsese’s Misplaced Nostalgia

February 18, 2021 6:30 AM 

Scorsese draws a distinction between the valuable curation by programmers at art-house cinemas and the blunt-force algorithms of the streaming services. The existence of these algorithms should not unduly trouble him given that, with a subscription to The Criterion Channel or access to the Turner Classic Movies app, a young film enthusiast can spend 100 hours a week marinating in classic cinema for pennies a day, or perhaps at no cost whatsoever, if he can cadge a login from his parents. Scorsese’s warning that streaming services are treating cinema as “mere property to be exploited and then locked away” is utter nonsense. Great cinema is far more accessible to the average person today than ever before.

is it really great cinema ...

But, we all know,  "great cinema" is a matter of personal opinion and taste.     Thee article seems to presume that far more "average" people "stream" than probably do.  

Sepiatone

48 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

But, we all know,  "great cinema" is a matter of personal opinion and taste.     Thee article seems to presume that far more "average" people "stream" than probably do.  

Sepiatone

It is probably safe to say that most people alive today have never seen "great cinema".  Classic movies streamed over an ipad type of device, sure.

• Like 2

As much as I love the experience of going to a movie theater and want to agree with him, I think it might be too expensive for me to. In the first article he mentions liking Parasite, which I watched on Hulu. I would be able to get two and a half months of Hulu for just the cost of a ticket to see it in theaters. Even if I bought it on DVD from Amazon, it would cost more than a month of Hulu. If the Criterion Channel would make the app available on more devices, I absolutely would have put the money that I couldn't spend on going to the movies towards a subscription and been much more cultured from it.