Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So here are some New Years 2020 time facts:

When World War 2 started, the Civil War felt as far away to Americans as WW2 feels to us now.

1-1.png

Speaking of World War 2, the world wars were pretty close together. If World War 2 were starting today, World War 1 would feel about as far back to us as 9/11.

7.png

The Soviet Union break up is now as distant a memory as JFK’s assassination was when the Soviet Union broke up.

3-1.png

Moving on to more inane topics, there have been more Super Bowls since the 1993 Cowboys–Bills SB than before it.

2.png

And West Germany’s 1974 World Cup victory happened closer to the first World Cup in 1930 than to today.

The Wonder Years aired from 1988 and 1993 and depicted the years between 1968 and 1973. When I watched the show, it felt like it was set in a time long ago. If a new Wonder Years premiered today, it would cover the years between 2000 and 2005.

6-1.png

Also, remember when Jurassic Park, The Lion King, and Forrest Gump came out in theaters? Closer to the moon landing than today.

8.png

Y2K? Closer to the 70s than today.

9-1.png

Meanwhile, the O.J. Simpson trial is now half way between the 1960s and today. And closer to the Charles Manson trial.

10-2.png

As for you, if you’re 60 or older, you were born closer to the 1800s than today.

4-1.png

Today’s 35-year-olds were born closer to the 1940s than to today.

5-1.png

https://waitbutwhy.com/2020/01/its-2020-and-youre-in-the-future.html?utm_source=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sm_share

• Like 2
On 1/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, LawrenceA said:

So here are some New Years 2020 time facts:

When World War 2 started, the Civil War felt as far away to Americans as WW2 feels to us now.

Speaking of World War 2, the world wars were pretty close together. If World War 2 were starting today, World War 1 would feel about as far back to us as 9/11.

The Soviet Union break up is now as distant a memory as JFK’s assassination was when the Soviet Union broke up.

Moving on to more inane topics, there have been more Super Bowls since the 1993 Cowboys–Bills SB than before it.

And West Germany’s 1974 World Cup victory happened closer to the first World Cup in 1930 than to today.

The Wonder Years aired from 1988 and 1993 and depicted the years between 1968 and 1973. When I watched the show, it felt like it was set in a time long ago. If a new Wonder Years premiered today, it would cover the years between 2000 and 2005.

Also, remember when Jurassic Park, The Lion King, and Forrest Gump came out in theaters? Closer to the moon landing than today.

Y2K? Closer to the 70s than today.

Meanwhile, the O.J. Simpson trial is now half way between the 1960s and today. And closer to the Charles Manson trial.

As for you, if you’re 60 or older, you were born closer to the 1800s than today.

Today’s 35-year-olds were born closer to the 1940s than to today.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2020/01/its-2020-and-youre-in-the-future.html?utm_source=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sm_share

Occasionally it will occur to me how long ago it was that I was in Vietnam and the Gulf during those wars.  Doesn't seem that long ago, but it was.

Interesting post.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:54 PM, Gershwin fan said:

If Happy Days, MASH, That 70s Show, etc. were done today, they would all be set in the mid-2000s. That thought is just weird to me.

???    

As HAPPY DAYS could be set in any decade(depending on which generation was the target audience)  I'd suggest you can't really have a show called THAT '70's SHOW set in any other decade BUT the '70's.   As for M*A*S*H, well, I don't know if they still used M*A*S*H units in Viet Nam or even now, so I can't comment. 

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

???    

As HAPPY DAYS could be set in any decade(depending on which generation was the target audience)  I'd suggest you can't really have a show called THAT '70's SHOW set in any other decade BUT the '70's.   As for M*A*S*H, well, I don't know if they still used M*A*S*H units in Viet Nam or even now, so I can't comment. 

Sepiatone

MASH units served in Vietnam and the Gulf War.  I have a friend who served in one in Vietnam.  Last one was deactivated in 2006 and replaced by Combat Support Hospitals.  Military is famous for reorganizing and renaming unit types.  For instance separate infantry brigades in the Army have been replaced by infantry brigade combat teams.  Same basic organizations and same missions.

While M*A*S*H was about a unit in Korea, much of the story process was in reference to Vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_army_surgical_hospital_(United_States)

• Thanks 1

:unsure:

How Watching TV Will Change in the 2020s -

Beyond streaming, expect to see artificial intelligence-infused home appliances, security cameras and cars, new gadgets that show what faster 5G cellular service can offer and, as always, the newest in robots and souped-up TVs....

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/how-watching-tv-will-change-in-the-2020s/2196701/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

How Watching TV Will Change in the 2020s -

Beyond streaming, expect to see artificial intelligence-infused home appliances, security cameras and cars, new gadgets that show what faster 5G cellular service can offer and, as always, the newest in robots and souped-up TVs....

big-brother-is-watching-you1419186-poste

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, mr6666 said:

sad to see so many legitimate Privacy concerns STILL being ignored,

merely for the sake of CONVENIENCE (and/or STATUS)...... :(

What really surprises me is 99% of people think it's "no big deal" their lives are being tracked. They respond, "Eh, so what? I have nothing to hide" not realizing it's not about hiding their behaviour, it's all about being manipulated by the system.

Apparently, people are willing to give away all their freedom, liberty and right to choose without concern just as long as they can have giant portions of bad food delivered to their door.

• Sad 1