Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chick Flick Chit Chat

hey dahlink!

*Well let's have it, what is your all-time favorite in this "category"? And only one choice! No*

*cheating!*

oh man! only one? i dont think i can do that? how about two? i think i can tie it down to 2 of my ALL TIME favorites.

well it would have to be a tie between *Random Harvest* and *The Sound of Music*....major tear fest but oh how i could watch those over and over and over without ever getting tired of them.

what do you think of those?

okay now its your turn.

>

> oh man! only one? i dont think i can do that? how about two? i think i can tie it down to 2 of my ALL TIME favorites.

>

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater! :P

> well it would have to be a tie between *Random Harvest* and *The Sound of Music*....major tear fest but oh how i could watch those over and over and over without ever getting tired of them.

>

> what do you think of those?

>

I love Rrandom Harvest, as you know. It's been AGES since I last

watched The Sound of Music. It was a great favorite of mine as a kid. I really

liked the scenes between Maria and the Captain and always felt there weren't enough

of them. I would prefer to have seen less of the children and more of the adults. I remember

that Eleanor Parker was, to my young eyes, the embodiment of elegance and sophisticated

glamour. I dreamed to look like her one day. Too bad, it didn't happen! :)

> okay now its your turn.

Ummm.....

Truth is, I was teasing you because it really IS hard to narrow it down. If I

am to choose just ONE movie, and that movie has to be mainly about the

love story, not any other issue or theme, maybe I'd go with Love is a Many

Splendored Thing. The Ghost and Mrs Muir would be an alternate choice,

and it's a movie I prefer over the former film, but the former is to me a pure love

story, nothing more, nothing less.

However, most of my favorite love stories are contained within films of

other genres, like a western or other type of drama.

Okay, here goes.

Now, someone may have to tell me if these qualify, but my favorite would have to be *Holiday Affair*. I've championed that movie quite a bit on here.

Others I really enjoy are:

*The Shop Around the Corner*

*The Women* (The original)

*Laura*

*Rebecca*

*Imitation of Life* (With Claudette Colbert)

*Cheater cheater pumpkin eater!*

am not! :P

*I love Rrandom Harvest, as you know. It's been AGES since I last*

*watched The Sound of Music. It was a great favorite of mine as a kid. I really*

*liked the scenes between Maria and the Captain and always felt there weren't enough*

*of them. I would prefer to have seen less of the children and more of the adults. I remember*

*that Eleanor Parker was, to my young eyes, the embodiment of elegance and sophisticated*

*glamour. I dreamed to look like her one day. Too bad, it didn't happen!*

*RH* and *TSOM* are two totally different movies for me, but target such wonderful emotions! i just love crying to them both! The Sound of Music was the second movie i was ever truely fascinated with as a little girl after *Beauty and the Beast*(Dinsey) and i wanted to watch it every day, but my parents couldnt handle it that much. heehee! i remember that i used to thik that the actors were the real people in real life and i had no clue who julie andrews was at the time, i just thoght her real name was Faulein Maria and i really really wanted to meet all 7 kids and the Captain and Maria and always wondered what they were doing, until one day my mother brought me a book and it was called The Stoy of the Trapp Family Singers and then i realized that they werent the real people....of course i read the book and was equally fascinated with their actual lives, but Maria wasnt as sweet and innocent in real life as she was in the movie. heehee! she was really feisty!

Truth is, I was teasing you because it really IS hard to narrow it down. If I

am to choose just ONE movie, and that movie has to be mainly about the

love story, not any other issue or theme, maybe I'd go with Love is a Many

Splendored Thing. The Ghost and Mrs Muir would be an alternate choice,

and it's a movie I prefer over the former film, but the former is to me a pure love

story, nothing more, nothing less.

so you were kidding?! now you tell me! heehee! well i have to go make a whole list now!

LIAMST is one of my favorties too! its one of those compassionate movies with an unlikely couple(for me anyway) but pull it off beautifully together. i never could picture Will Holden with Jennifer Jones until i saw this movie and it had me hooked from the start!

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a really cute movie!! its one of my grandmama's favorites and when she introduced it to me, i loved hearing her explain the plot to me. she get really into it. :)

However, most of my favorite love stories are contained within films of

other genres, like a western or other type of drama.

i know, you have a real love for the hard core dramas and westerns. i love them too, but you have a passion for them and that's awesome! there is plently of romance is those too. ;) like the Duke movies, the Gregory Peck movies and the Robert Ryan movies too!

>

> *RH* and *TSOM* are two totally different movies for me, but target such wonderful emotions! i just love crying to them both! The Sound of Music was the second movie i was ever truely fascinated with as a little girl after *Beauty and the Beast*(Dinsey) and i wanted to watch it every day, but my parents couldnt handle it that much. heehee! i remember that i used to thik that the actors were the real people in real life and i had no clue who julie andrews was at the time, i just thoght her real name was Faulein Maria and i really really wanted to meet all 7 kids and the Captain and Maria and always wondered what they were doing, until one day my mother brought me a book and it was called The Stoy of the Trapp Family Singers and then i realized that they werent the real people....of course i read the book and was equally fascinated with their actual lives, but Maria wasnt as sweet and innocent in real life as she was in the movie. heehee! she was really feisty!

>

That is cute, and kind of like my own history with the movie. I wanted to know more about

the family when I found out they were real people and, like you, I thought the movie much

more romantic. :)

>

> so you were kidding?! now you tell me! heehee! well i have to go make a whole list now!

>

Okay, let's have the list!

> LIAMST is one of my favorties too! its one of those compassionate movies with an unlikely couple(for me anyway) but pull it off beautifully together. i never could picture Will Holden with Jennifer Jones until i saw this movie and it had me hooked from the start!

>

They look good together, I love seeing fair people paired with brunettes. The contrast is

so visually interesting. And I like this woman's ideas about her future were all shaken

by this unlikely man, this unlikely love. The book is wonderful, too. A big reason the

movie never palls is the score. I just love that soundtrack!

> The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a really cute movie!! its one of my grandmama's favorites and when she introduced it to me, i loved hearing her explain the plot to me. she get really into it. :)

>

That's so great! Did she see it at the theater when it came out?

>

> i know, you have a real love for the hard core dramas and westerns. i love them too, but you have a passion for them and that's awesome! there is plently of romance is those too. ;) like the Duke movies, the Gregory Peck movies and the Robert Ryan movies too!

And don't forget Hitchcock movies! :P

I never really understood what a "chick flick" was. Other than really obvious ones like *An Affair to Remember*, which gags me. However, its original version, *Love Affair*, I like. If it is romance films, then my favorite romance film is *The Tamarind Seed*.

rayallen....may i call you ray?

*Okay, here goes.*

*Now, someone may have to tell me if these qualify, but my favorite would have to be Holiday Affair. I've championed that movie quite a bit on here.*

*Others I really enjoy are:*

*The Shop Around the Corner*

*The Women (The original)*

*Laura*

*Rebecca*

*Imitation of Life (With Claudette Colbert)*

Holiday Affair is such a cute movie with the little boy and his train set! i love Leigh and Mitchum together in this, they make such good chemistry!

your list is quite impressive and i love it! i think my favorites out of your list are Rebecca and Laura. i love Laurence Olivier and for me, it portrays a different side of him than what i am used to, whichh is a good thing.

Well, being the manly man that I am, I usually avoid true chick flicks like the plague. I've read four, count 'em, four chick books in my lifetime, and dearly loved three: *Wuthering Heights* , *Jane Eyre* , and *Little Women* . So of course I count the 1939 *WH* , 1944 *Eyre* , and 1949 *LW* among my all-time favorite movies.

My fourth chick book, you may ask? *Anna Karenina* , read on a dare by my niece. Hated both the book and the movie. Just too icky...

Well, as I understand it, a chick-flick is anything that doesn't have the man as its focal point. It is not a war movie or a western. So, that leaves the field wide open. Camille is definitely a chick-flick: the story of a courtesan that ends in tears. Oh, maybe that is another definition, tears. But, I think it makes the woman the focal point.

Anyway, some of my favorite chick-flicks:

Topper

That Hamilton Woman

Imitation of Life

Ivy

Gilda

Midnight

The Devil is a Woman

Carrie

I think either version of Camille (Nazimova or Garbo) would be a great chick flick.

Not so sure about Gilda, because it seems a bit male-centered to me. And it does have plenty of eye candy for the guys.

But a big part of the appeal of a true chick flick is watching it in a theater, with an audience that is predominantly female. That kind of experience, for better or worse, is easier to get with contemporary movies.

Excellent chick flicks that I've watched in theatres include Steel Magnolias, Sex and the City, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Marie Antoinette (the Sofia Coppola one).

steel-magnolias.jpg

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> rayallen....may i call you ray?

> Holiday Affair is such a cute movie with the little boy and his train set! i love Leigh and Mitchum together in this, they make such good chemistry!

>

> your list is quite impressive and i love it! i think my favorites out of your list are Rebecca and Laura. i love Laurence Olivier and for me, it portrays a different side of him than what i am used to, whichh is a good thing.

You may definitely call me ray!

As far as Holiday Affair, it's one of my favorite "lesser knowns"...if in fact is is lesser known. I almost feel I've talked about it on this site so much that people are tired of me bringing it up.

I also wasn't sure what even qualified as a "chick flick"...but those I mentioned are some of my favorites whatever category they fall under.

Fun topic, though!

One of my favorites is airing right now, Dark Victory. I guess many would consider

Bette's movies to be largely women's pictures. Regardless, her movies still wear exceptionally

well with me, more so than, say, Audrey Hepburn's have. Maybe because Bette's movies

are much more adult.

I know it probably is something along the lines of blasphemy, but when I read the title *Dark Victory*, I think of the remake with Elizabeth Montgomery and Michel Lee. Both of whom I like better than Bette Davis. Anthony Hopkins is in it, too. Having said that, I really like the film with Bette.

> {quote:title=ArmandDuval wrote:}{quote}

> Well, as I understand it, a chick-flick is anything that doesn't have the man as its focal point. It is not a war movie or a western. So, that leaves the field wide open. Camille is definitely a chick-flick: the story of a courtesan that ends in tears. Oh, maybe that is another definition, tears. But, I think it makes the woman the focal point.

>

> Anyway, some of my favorite chick-flicks:

>

> Topper

> That Hamilton Woman

> Imitation of Life

> Ivy

> Gilda

> Midnight

> The Devil is a Woman

> Carrie

*A pretty good definition of a chick flick - although I would add that they also tend to emphasize relationships more than other types of movies.*

*One that I consider a good chick flick, even though it violates the rule of focus on the female, is "To Woo Fong, Thanks for Everything. Julie Newmar".*

*You may definitely call me ray!*

well thank you kind sir.

As far as Holiday Affair, it's one of my favorite "lesser knowns"...if in fact is is lesser known. I almost feel I've talked about it on this site so much that people are tired of me bringing it up.

well im with you on thaty one too. i usually bring up the movie *Margie* with Jeanne Crain all the time as a great romance and one of my favorites and its a lesser known too.

*I also wasn't sure what even qualified as a "chick flick"...but those I mentioned are some of my favorites whatever category they fall under.*

*Fun topic, though!*

well i have this explanation for a "romance" and a "chick flick". the two terms a different for me b/c i was brought up with a daddy who loves watching them with me. he introduced me to many many many many chick flicks and brought my mother to some on their dates. he taught me that all romance movies are chick flicks, but not all chick flicks are romances. a chick flick can also be a movie thats really sappy and makes you cry like *Steel Magnolias* for instance and An Affair to Remember. a good example of a romance movie would be Pride and Prejudice (Greer Garson version of course). heehee!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> well i have this explanation for a "romance" and a "chick flick". the two terms a different for me b/c i was brought up with a daddy who loves watching them with me. he introduced me to many many many many chick flicks and brought my mother to some on their dates. *he taught me that all romance movies are chick flicks, but not all chick flicks are romances.*

I love that!

okay everyone, this is my list of absolutely favorite chick flicks....and i even narrowed it down....a lot, this is just the top of my whole real list. phew! heehee! that took a while to do.

there are so many different types of chick flicks i love: there are the sappy ones, the cutesie comedy ones, the fiesty ones, the adventurous ones, and the melodramatic ones; and i love them all!

_Classic_

Pillow to Post

Pride and Prejudice (greer)

Valley of Decision

Random Harvest

Along Came Jones

Naughty Marietta

Maytime

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Daddy Long Legs

Rachel and the Stranger

Margie

Third Finger, Left Hand

The Sound of Music

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Funny Girl

Hello, Dolly!

The Farmer?s Daughter

Doctor Takes a Wife

Theodora Goes Wild

Presenting Lily Mars

McLintock!

The Quiet Man

Donovan?s Reef

Two Weeks With Love

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

On the Double

Fraulein

Billy Rose?s Jumbo

The Thrill of it all

On Moonlight Bay

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

In the Good Old Summertime

Good News (junie)

Shall We Dance (freddy astaire and ginger rogers)

Reformer and the Redhead

The Bride Goes Wild

Merry Andrew

Two Girls and a Sailor

Roman Holiday

Sabrina

Father Goose

The African Queen

The Little Minister (1975)

the Apple Dumpling Gang

Summertime

Alice Adams

The First Traveling Saleslady

Gone with the Wind

The Mating Game

Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin

The Way We Were

Laura

The Razor's Edge

Bachelor and the Bobby-soxer

My Man Godfrey (carol lombarde and june allyson versions)

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing

The Tamarind Seed

The Philadelphia Story

Bell, Book, and Candle

Charade

An Affair to Remember

My Favorite Wife

Bringing up Baby

What's Up Doc?(1972)

_Modern_

Just Like Heaven

While you were sleeping

The Lakehouse

Entrapment

You?ve got mail

Sleepless in Seattle

The Wedding Planner

Ever After

Two Weeks Notice

Never Been Kissed

Music and Lyrics

Beauty and the Beast(Disney)

Laws of Attraction

Maid in Manhatten

Twilight

The Cutting Edge

Chasing Liberty

My Life in Ruins

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

What a Girl Wants

What Women Want

Better Off Dead

One Crazy Summer

The Sure Thing

Straight Talk

Last Chance Harvey

Uptown Girls

Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Clause

All I Want for Christmas (1991)

Borrowed Hearts

Raising Helen

No Reservations

Joe Somebody

A Boyfriend for Christmas

The Proposal

White Nights (technically not a whole romance, but it?s just as worth it to see Helen Mirren and Mikhail Baryshnikov be in love)

Blast from the Past

Elizabethtown

Kiss Me Goodbye

Sweet Home Alabama

Penelope

The Parent Trap (original and modern)

Electric Dreams

Don?t tell her it?s Me aka The Boyfriend School

French Kiss

Notting Hill

The Pirate Movie

Enchanted