Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Hollywood stars smoked the most cigs???

I know the answer to this but of course wanted tour opinons on the subject   ESCUSE ME For A WEE BIT SLOPPY, KEYWOBARD IS NOT UP TO THE Mark thesedays

STARTING OFF WITH Sammy DAVIS, jR (L925-90) EVEN Sinatra CALLED HIM "SMOKEY" AT 6PKS PERDAY

ROD SERLING used to smoke throughtout dinner with Larry King 5-6 pks

JACKIE THE GREAT ONE GLEASON-(l9l6-87)  also 6pks of ciggies a day, but when he went under quadruple bypass  after Smokey & the Bandit he cut back to just 5

SINATRA kinda limited himself to 2 packs, matter if fact he was buried with a of of Lucky Strikes)

DINO-(l9l7-95) I am not certain of, but a lot

BETTE DAVIS also not certain, but it aged her fast

& NOW TODAY

MADONNA sneaks hers about 1/2 to 1 pack per day & lectures all about smoking  Matter of fact in a rainy concert she demanded all put out their cigs on she wouldn't go on, saying "If You Love Me Don't Smoke" I know her mannersims very well after over 6yrs & she smokes & also started DRINKING AROUND 01 mostly Guinness irish beer  MY OWN FAV LONG BEFORE SHE EVEN TASTED IT

imagine the house where Penn easily smoked 3 to pks a day!?

A few yrs ago all three from, Baker Boys had their **** taken in it's 25th Anniversary I believe Jeff, looks the oldest at going on age going ion 71, Beau looks the same at almost 79 & MICHELLE will be  will be 62 come April 29th

About Bette:

Cigarettes were such a Davis signature that her Jezebel co-star Henry Fonda once joked, “I’ve been close to Bette Davis for 38 years—and I have the cigarette burns to prove it.”

They were not just accessories, either, but an extension of her already over-the-top self. Per biographer Ed Sikov, in his 2007 book Dark Victory: the Life of Bette Davis: “Cigarettes were to Bette Davis what a bottle of Southern Comfort was to Janis Joplin or a half-unbuttoned black shirt is to Tom Ford: a mundane prop elevated by sheer force of personality to the level of a stylized autograph.“ The book also quotes Dr. Ivin Prince: “She used smoking in a way I’d never seen before. It was a signature.“

She was so dependent on her signature Vanguards—of which she smoked up to four packs a day—that she could not abstain from them, even during a ten-minute television appearance. “If I did not smoke a cigarette,” she explained to TV talk show hosts, “they would not know who I was.” No one told Davis to put out her cigarettes, though, not even her dentist—who told Sikov that the actress smoked in both his waiting room and in the actual dentist’s chair. “She pretty much did what she wanted,” Prince said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

HUMPHREY BOGART

Sure.  Him and Duke did seem to be in competition.  ;)   Both died of tobacco related cancers, and consumed near six packs a day.

I've heard about Bette Davis and her heavy smoking, and although not a "Hollywood star", actor DICK YORK, mostly of "Bewitched" fame, also died from illnesses(Emphysema mostly) due to heavy smoking.  And heavy smoking too Spence, is what likely lead to your hero SPENCER TRACY'S heart troubles which too, lead to his death. 

Being a former smoker myself, I'm not making any judgements here, just passing on info.

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

No one told Davis to put out her cigarettes, though, not even her dentist—who told Sikov that the actress smoked in both his waiting room and in the actual dentist’s chair. “She pretty much did what she wanted,” Prince said.

Hospital/doctor scenes in old movies always floor me.  Not only are people smoking IN THE HOSPITAL in the waiting room, but even the doctor, and sometimes the patients are smoking too! In Footsteps in the Dark, Errol Flynn goes to Dr. Ralph Bellamy, DDS for a check-up.  Bellamy offers Flynn a cigarette.  A dentist! I cannot imagine going in for a teeth cleaning and smoking while your teeth are being cleaned.  It seems very counterproductive. 

Does anyone know if teeth whitening existed back in the 30s-50s?  

Perhaps it's a good thing that many of the classic movies are in black and white.  Then we don't have to see how bad the stars' teeth are.  Bogart has bad looking teeth, you can tell even in black and white.  Flynn on the other hand, who also was a smoker, has pretty good looking teeth! 

• Like 1

Looking at the teeth of actors/actresses in older movies is something I've been doing recently, particularly with movies I've seen many times.

You can sort of tell that some teeth, even if not crooked or badly shaped were probably dingy. 

6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Looking at the teeth of actors/actresses in older movies is something I've been doing recently, particularly with movies I've seen many times.

You can sort of tell that some teeth, even if not crooked or badly shaped were probably dingy. 

With both Bogart and Desi Arnaz, you can tell that they smoke as there is often some type of build-up on their bottom teeth.  

One thing I like about old movie star teeth, is that while many of them did receive some type of orthodontia (see Errol Flynn's front teeth in Captain Blood versus his teeth post-Captain Blood), or wore some type of fake teeth (i.e. "flippers"), many of them just had their normal teeth.  They aren't the giant, white, every tooth the same size, Chiclet teeth that every movie star has these days. Some of today's movie and television personalities have such bright white teeth, they remind me of that episode of Friends where Ross has his tooth whitening cream on too long and his teeth glow in the dark. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

With both Bogart and Desi Arnaz, you can tell that they smoke as there is often some type of build-up on their bottom teeth.  

One thing I like about old movie star teeth, is that while many of them did receive some type of orthodontia (see Errol Flynn's front teeth in Captain Blood versus his teeth post-Captain Blood), or wore some type of fake teeth (i.e. "flippers"), many of them just had their normal teeth.  They aren't the giant, white, every tooth the same size, Chiclet teeth that every movie star has these days. Some of today's movie and television personalities have such bright white teeth, they remind me of that episode of Friends where Ross has his tooth whitening cream on too long and his teeth glow in the dark. 

BETTE DAVIS' teeth don't look healthy either.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Wasn't Donald O'Connor up to 4 packs a day during the time of filming "Singin' in the Rain?" 

I believe so--which makes his "Make 'Em Laugh" number even more extraordinary.

It amazes me that a dancer, like O'Connor, and even Gene Kelly, could smoke and still have the stamina to perform all those dancing scenes.

• Like 1

Ann Sheridan was one star who smoked more than anyone.  James Cagney smoked 3 packs a day when they made there 3 classic films together.  She died from cancer of the esophagus in 1967 at he age of 51.

8x10-Print-Ann-Sheridan-Juke-Girl-1942-5400957.jpg

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Dommy said:

Ann Sheridan was one star who smoked more than anyone.  James Cagney smoked 3 packs a day when they made there 3 classic films together.  She died from cancer of the esophagus in 1967 at he age of 51.

8x10-Print-Ann-Sheridan-Juke-Girl-1942-5400957.jpg

I have an audio recording of the last interview Sheridan did about a year before her death. In listening to it you're struck by the frequency at which you hear the sounds of matches being struck.

54 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

902773ad-7c64-4944-8479-4c8537dfa73d.gri

I normally don't get bothered at attempts to whitewash history, but the pose just looks bizarre with the cigarette erased.

I don't like when they digitally remove cigarettes after the fact.  One problem with this picture is the botched photoshop on her glove.  There is a line between her fingers where the cigarette would be.  It looks like she's giving a secret baseball sign or something.  I know Bette Davis smoked a lot, but I know that there are photos of her available where she's not smoking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1