Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Hollywood stars smoked the most cigs???

20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've heard that kind of thing before, but as a former smoker, I can't fathom how that would even be possible. Even at my heaviest smoking, I don't think I ever had more than 2 packs in a day.

I'am exactly like you. David Bowie was smoking 4 packs of Gitanes a day-they are strong French cigs- till his early to mid fifties,i could not believe it but it was very true

A lifelong heavy smoker, Betty Grable died of lung cancer.  At 3 packs a day though, she was not at the Bette Davis level.  She died nearly broke after being a millionaire at one point in her career, and with no health insurance, worked as long as she could after her diagnosis to pay the medical bills.

1944 Betty Grable "Pin-Up Girl" Movie Chesterfield Cigarettes Art Print AD

• Like 1

Message board topics, anywhere, can get very strange.

Bottom line: cigarette smoking is a dirty, health- and life-threatening habit.  It's a shame the science about tar and nicotine damage was still in the closet during Hollywood's Golden Age.  Undoubtedly, these stars with their ever-present ciggies influenced a lot of people to take up smoking just to appear classy or "cool."  Reading on Wikipedia about how so many of them succumbed to cancer, COPD, or heart disease is eye-opening.

I smoked a bit when I was younger (god knows why) and am really glad I gave it up.

15 hours ago, hamradio said:

Talk about a bad message to send to our kids :( (and to women :lol:)

You're forgetting(or are unaware of)  when The Flinstones came out women smoking was already long accepted.  And the cartoon wasn't originally aimed at the children's  market.  It was touted as "The first animated show for adults".    That old commercial cracks me up in that I was surprised they didn't call the cigarette brand "WINSTONE".  ;)   HA!  and don't forget THIS-------  (talk about bad influence)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

You're forgetting(or are unaware of)  when The Flinstones came out women smoking was already long accepted.  And the cartoon wasn't originally aimed at the children's  market.  It was touted as "The first animated show for adults".    That old commercial cracks me up in that I was surprised they didn't call the cigarette brand "WINSTONE".  ;)   HA!  and don't forget THIS-------  (talk about bad influence)

Sepiatone

I was referring to lazy men sitting about while women do the work. 

Never seen that beer ad before, thanks.

Actually, I think most women didn't find that out of the ordinary.   Especially back in the '50's and mid to later '60's and beyond.  ;)    I had a brother in law who never helped my sister in law around the house with the excuse; "I'm the wrong build for that kind of thing......."  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, I think most women didn't find that out of the ordinary.   Especially back in the '50's and mid to later '60's and beyond.  ;)    I had a brother in law who never helped my sister in law around the house with the excuse; "I'm the wrong build for that kind of thing......." 

The roles were more clearly defined back then.  Most husbands and fathers worked for the paycheck, and did the outside work and construction-related inside work.  The wives and mothers handled the kids and did the "domestic" inside chores (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.).  That was definitely the scenario with my parents, anyway.  So...the Flintstone commercial probably is out of the ordinary (which is why it's humorous), as most wives then didn't mow grass, the husbands did.

That belief isn't carved in stone(no pun intent)  as I've seen much of that sort of thing in my time.  In fact, if they had any kids(especially boys) the husbands didn't mow grass either.   Sonny boy was made to do it.  ;)   But yeah, I bet his SISTER never had that task!   And BTW-----

We too, had rugs that back in the "day" were hung out and smacked with a rug beater.  A lot of our neighbors did too.  And I'd usually see the wife out there  doing that.  ;) 

Sepiatone

28 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That belief isn't carved in stone(no pun intent)  as I've seen much of that sort of thing in my time.  In fact, if they had any kids(especially boys) the husbands didn't mow grass either.   Sonny boy was made to do it.  ;)   But yeah, I bet his SISTER never had that task!   And BTW-----

We too, had rugs that back in the "day" were hung out and smacked with a rug beater.  A lot of our neighbors did too.  And I'd usually see the wife out there  doing that.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Smacking rugs outdoors wasn't exactly what I was thinking when I said "outside work," but I think I see some tongue in cheek in your remark. ;)

Yes, boys often cut grass back then instead of their dads - and still do - but it was still generally a "male chore," and it still is judging by the homes in my suburban neighborhood.  The women who mow are invariably single.

But...this is veering way off-topic.  Judging by that classic Winston commercial, Fred and Barney were Hollywood stars who liked to catch an occasional butt.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:38 AM, Roy Cronin said:

A lifelong heavy smoker, Betty Grable died of lung cancer.  At 3 packs a day though, she was not at the Bette Davis level.  She died nearly broke after being a millionaire at one point in her career, and with no health insurance, worked as long as she could after her diagnosis to pay the medical bills.

1944 Betty Grable "Pin-Up Girl" Movie Chesterfield Cigarettes Art Print AD

Harry James (her husband of over 20 years) was a gambling addict & introduced the bad habit (as well as smoking & drinking which she didn't do until she hooked up with James)to Betty. That's where all of her money went - to pay off debts incurred at the horse races. He was also an alcoholic & was very jealous of her success....their marriage was a dumpster fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, Sepiatone said:

That belief isn't carved in stone(no pun intent)  as I've seen much of that sort of thing in my time.  In fact, if they had any kids(especially boys) the husbands didn't mow grass either.   Sonny boy was made to do it.  ;) **  But yeah, I bet his SISTER never had that task!   And BTW-----

Sepiatone

**That's because his sister was too busy washing dishes, doing the laundry, running the vacuum, dusting, feeding the dogs, and ironing clothes.

Mowing the grass would probably have been like a holiday after doing all of those indoor chores. LOL

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DawnM74 said:

Harry James (her husband of over 20 years) was a gambling addict & introduced the bad habit (as well as smoking & drinking which she didn't do until she hooked up with James)to Betty. That's where all of her money went - to pay off debts incurred at the horse races. He was also an alcoholic & was very jealous of her success....their marriage was a dumpster fire.

According to one of Betty's best friends, she paid off Harry's Las Vegas gambling debts of $100,000 to save his skin.  And this was after their divorce and after he had married a much younger woman.

• Thanks 1
On 1/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, speedracer5 said:

Hospital/doctor scenes in old movies always floor me.  Not only are people smoking IN THE HOSPITAL in the waiting room, but even the doctor, and sometimes the patients are smoking too! In Footsteps in the Dark, Errol Flynn goes to Dr. Ralph Bellamy, DDS for a check-up.  Bellamy offers Flynn a cigarette.  A dentist! I cannot imagine going in for a teeth cleaning and smoking while your teeth are being cleaned.  It seems very counterproductive. 

Does anyone know if teeth whitening existed back in the 30s-50s?  

Perhaps it's a good thing that many of the classic movies are in black and white.  Then we don't have to see how bad the stars' teeth are.  Bogart has bad looking teeth, you can tell even in black and white.  Flynn on the other hand, who also was a smoker, has pretty good looking teeth! 

The hospital scene in All That Jazz, when Bob Fosse (Roy Scheider) is "pronounced" healthy by a chain-smoking, coughing, wheezing cardiologist (Michael Tolan) who can barely stand up or speak.

Edited by karlofffan
corrected actor vs. character attribution
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as the heaviest smokers in the entertainment industry I'll vote for these three:  JACKIE GLEASON, REDD FOXX, FRANK GORSHIN.   

The hardest breathing I've ever heard from someone not hooked up to oxygen was Redd Foxx.  I felt bad for Redd.  

There is an interview uploaded to YT with the heading 'Lost Interview' conducted by Allen Stewart:  Redd was 65 when did this interview early in 1988 from a New Orleans nightclub.  He was traveling all over the country for the Miller Lite Comedy Search.  The interview is 4 minutes 15 seconds;  Redd is practically gasping for breath.  The microphone was placed on his shirt at such a spot where it picked up Redd's labored breathing.  Foxx also talked about his new record label 'Redbird Records' or 'Reddbird Records' and the various artists he had signed to it, but it looks like the label never got off the ground.  I've never seen anything released on that label.  And I've looked.     

As far as who smoked the most onscreen going from the movies I've seen I'll go with Bogey and Bette and Peter Lorre.  I've seen several movies of late featuring Peter Lorre and he was obviously a heavy smoker at that time.   

On 1/8/2020 at 1:54 AM, hamradio said:

Smoked too many if one dies from it.

Before...

I've been smoking them (Camels) for 20 years.

....after

Passed away from stomach cancer in 1979,  2 years after "The Shootist"

Do they even still make Lucky Strikes Sinatra's fav?

14 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

As far as the heaviest smokers in the entertainment industry I'll vote for these three:  JACKIE GLEASON, REDD FOXX, FRANK GORSHIN.   

The hardest breathing I've ever heard from someone not hooked up to oxygen was Redd Foxx.  I felt bad for Redd.  

There is an interview uploaded to YT with the heading 'Lost Interview' conducted by Allen Stewart:  Redd was 65 when did this interview early in 1988 from a New Orleans nightclub.  He was traveling all over the country for the Miller Lite Comedy Search.  The interview is 4 minutes 15 seconds;  Redd is practically gasping for breath.  The microphone was placed on his shirt at such a spot where it picked up Redd's labored breathing.  Foxx also talked about his new record label 'Redbird Records' or 'Reddbird Records' and the various artists he had signed to it, but it looks like the label never got off the ground.  I've never seen anything released on that label.  And I've looked.     

As far as who smoked the most onscreen going from the movies I've seen I'll go with Bogey and Bette and Peter Lorre.  I've seen several movies of late featuring Peter Lorre and he was obviously a heavy smoker at that time.   

His contemporaries also say Lorre was another big boozer

Yeah, that's where that pot music lyric DON'T BOGART THAT JOINT MY FRIEND came from

Think 1st used in EASY RIDER (l969)  Obviously because he always had a cig hanging from his mouth

William Powell was a heavy smoker on-screen.  I wonder if he quit?  I remember him smoking in his last film appearance MISTER ROBERTS.  That was released in 1955, but Powell lived until 1984.  He was 91 when he died.