Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Hollywood stars smoked the most cigs???

LIAM DUNN looked quite a bit older than he actually was.  He died at age 59 on April 11, 1976 . . . but looked 70+.  He just couldn't quit.  No different that Bette, Jackie, Redd, Frank "The Riddler" Gorshin and many others. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@LUCKYDAN:  That was my biggest reason for quitting the cigs at age 41 (in 2014) → Fear of horrible emphysema.   

I knew all my life cigs were not healthy, but until I found it difficult to empty my lungs of old air to take in new air - and this was after a heart attack - the health affects became real. I thought, well, I'll just cut down. Exercise more.

One night I put out a cigarette in the ash tray and thought, Crap. I'm out of smokes. I'm going to have to go to the store and buy another 3-pack. Then I said, No. Screw this. I'm not doing it anymore. 

Knowing it's bad isn't enough. And nagging from others doesn't work. You have to want to quit, whatever your addiction. 

• Like 2

My wife and I try to do a b u t t-count in the movie "Hatari," but we have to give up about 15 minutes into the thing.  The number of times that everyone on screen starts lighting up begins to approach infinity.  So we just sit back and watch the rhino's go after Bruce Cabot. 

• Haha 2

@LUCKYDAN:  I had that experience, too, about not being properly able to empty my lungs of 'old air' to take in 'new air'.  I quit 'cold turkey' in May 2014.  I put out a half-smoked Lucky Strike outside and have not had even a puff of one since.  (No cigars or 'weed', either!)  I don't breathe like a smoker anymore with short, choppy breaths and being unable to speak all the words I want to. 

→ I always go back to that Redd Foxx "Lost Interview" in the New Orleans nightclub in early 1988 that's on YouTube if ever I'm tempted to get some unfiltered cigs.  I felt bad for Redd; he could barely breathe.  He was 65 at the time.  Like trying to breathe through a screen door that's not supposed to have •holes• in it. 

• Like 2

I never considered myself to be a heavy smoker.  It took me about a day and a half to go through a pack, but I did it for 44 years.  I had a heart attack in February, 2018.  It wasn't a serious one, but it was a 'slow burn' wakeup call.  I was never pressured by my doctor or friends to quit smoking, because I knew it wasn't good for me.  As Lucky Dan said, "You have to want to quit.".  I smoked for 15 months after my heart attack, and I ran out one night around 8:00.  I could have gone to the convenience store to get more, but decided to wait till the next morning.  Next morning came, and I didn't feel like going to re-stock my supply.  From then on, I sort of turned it into a game to see how long I could go before I broke down to give in to the need to have a cigarette.

It's been two and a half years since I quit, and the urge to occasionally want one has pretty much disappeared for me.  6 months after I quit, I realized that the money I saved on tobacco products was going to the grocery store, and I was literally getting 'too big for my britches'!   So, I began eating a healthier diet and started lifting weights.  I've only dropped 34 pounds in two years (went from 255 to 221), but much of the fat has been replaced with muscle, so that's not really a bad thing, even though I'm still considered obese for my height and age.  Even so, some days I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, all things considered.

• Like 3
On 1/9/2020 at 5:10 AM, GGGGerald said:

Let's not forget about Lucy.  From I Love Lucy to her later TV shows, her voice got deeper and deeper until by the time she did Mame (1974), her singing voice basically sunk the film.

lucy%202.jpg?cb=cca6307d29e0495b798c2dbf8dfdcdb6&w=660&h=

Gad, I didn't even think about Lucy as a smoker but you are right about how her voice in the 1930's bore absolutely no resemblance to her voice later in her life.  "Call for Philip Morris," indeed!

• Like 1

I watched Week-End at the Waldorf (1945) the other night and Walter Pidgeon was never without a ciggy - even when he was eating or wooing Ginger Rogers.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I watched Week-End at the Waldorf (1945) the other night and Walter Pidgeon was never without a ciggy - even when he was eating or wooing Ginger Rogers.

Walter was eating Ginger Rogers? I missed that! :D

• Haha 5

The 1941 The Maltese Falcon is known for how much smoking is going on.    Jack Warner wanted it reshot to reduce the amount and Huston did redo a few scenes but was convinced by Huston and especially Peter Lorre that the smoking added to the atmosphere of the film.     Lorre had some non PC comments related to why a guy like him would be smoking up a storm.

• Like 2

Depends.  Looking for ON SCREEN, off, or don't matter.   Although rarely on screen, Spencer Tracy was alleged to be a heavy smoker while relaxing at home curled up with a good book, pot of coffee and smoking like a chimney.

John Wayne, already established, was rarely seen on screen and off without a smoke dangling from his mouth.

The "lesser" star JACKIE GLEASON, particularly in the movie SOLDIER IN THE RAIN, smoked pretty heavy.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I had heard that John Wayne was a 3-pack a day guy, but the account I read about that also said oftentimes he'd be smoking between scenes, and put down the cigarette if he had to re-shoot a take, meaning that the cigarettes he smoked on set usually just burned themselves out in an ashtray.  Still, he really looked weathered in the face in the final films he did in the 1970's.  I guess if both actor and actress who happened to smoke and had to share a kiss on screen would get through it alright, but if one of the parties was a non-smoker....hmmmm.  I don't think Binaca was around in the 40's or 50's!

When I smoked, if I were asked not to, I would comply.  I would also ask ahead of time if it were alright if I smoked in someone's presence.   Another thing that helped me quit was that I never smoked in my car, and I rarely took my cigarettes to work with me.   I only lived a few miles from where I worked, so it was easy for me to come home and have a 3-cigarette lunch!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

He was 65 at the time

65 in 1988? Holy cow! So in the early seasons of Sanford and Son, he was like ... barely older than I am now. When I was a child, I thought he was like 75 THEN.

• Like 1

@SEWHITE:  Redd Foxx (born 'Jon Elroy Sanford') sprung to life December 9, 1922 in St. Louis, MO.  Redd even said the address of the home he was born a couple of times on-air and during his act.  I know he said it on David Letterman's show in 1983 and I believe on his 1978 HBO Special as well.  → It was "4461 Enright".  It was a brick house and he was born on the top floor.  Redd said the current homeowners should sell tickets to see where he was born when he appeared on "Late Night with David Letterman" on November 8, 1983.   :)

REDD was age 49 when "Sanford & Son" went to air in January 1972; he was made up to look older, but admittedly his hard living and hard-partying lifestyle meant he didn't have to be 'made-up' that much.  Redd made an appearance on Flip Wilson's show -- you can see it on YT -- in a segment titled "The Heckler".  This segment apparently aired right before "Sanford & Son" took to air because at the end of the segment Flip and Redd talk about Redd's "new show" and how it was premiering "tomorrow night". 

I've seen every one of Redd's interviews uploaded to YouTube along with his stand-up acts on HBO and his "Video In A Plain Brown Wrapper".   Before it was removed from YouTube for unspecified reasons I was able to see the interview Redd did with Robin Leach that he only partially completed before being interrupted by a member of the "Royal Family" staff to do a rehearsal.  The interview with R. Leach never really ends → it stopped with a 'freeze frame' of Redd and he didn't live to finish it.  He went and did his 'pass' on the rehearsal set for 'Royal Family' and then collapsed.  He died 4 hours later.  Ergo, the interview for Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous just stops.  At the time of his passing at 68 Redd was no longer rich, but he was still famous so he netted an interview on the show.  During the interview with Robin Leach he talked about a rap song he had just completed (!), but I don't know that it was ever released to the public after his death?  I've never seen it for sale.  Redd didn't mention the song's title, but he did say he hoped the sales of this recording would help out his situation with the government [specifically the IRS].  I wish that "Lifestyles" interview hadn't been removed from YouTube, but I was able to see it several times before it was taken down. 

NOTES:  When Redd appeared on David Letterman's show in Nov. '83 he was there to promote the "Plain Brown Wrapper" video release.  It's on YouTube.  Redd was 60 at the time.  

Redd appeared in Nov. or Dec. 1985 on "Bill Boggs Midday Show" in New York City.  His appearance lasts about 12 minutes and Redd, at host Bill Boggs's request, does the "Sanford Walk" at the end of the interview.  Redd walks toward the camera.  He was appearing at Dangerfield's at the time, btw. 

• Thanks 1

@SEPIATONE:  Jackie smokes a lot in SOLDIER IN THE RAIN, but note that Jackie never smoked when playing 'Ralph Kramden' on THE HONEYMOONERS.  Maybe because it was "live" television when "The Honeymooners" was recorded had something to do with it.  

• Thanks 1

@SEWHITE:  I just remembered, if you have an interest, that if you head for YouTube and type this into the subject line you will see an appearance Redd did on "The Arsenio Hall Show" on Wednesday, October 9, 1991.  He died less than 2 days later on Friday, Oct. 11, 1991.  The 'heading' on that YT segment, however, is misleading so you have to type this in to find it:

♦ NAYA RIVERA at age four on The Arsenio Hall Show talks The Royal Family ♦

The uploaded segment is only 5 minutes and 35 seconds, btw.  But you get to see Redd less than two days before his passing.   

Trivia Nugget:  The day Redd died was the same day future Supreme Court Justice CLARENCE THOMAS decried what he felt was a "high-tech" lynching by certain Democratic members of the U.S. Senate.  I don't know why that sticks in my mind, but it does. 

14 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

REDD was age 49 when "Sanford & Son" went to air in January 1972; he was made up to look older, but admittedly his hard living and hard-partying lifestyle meant he didn't have to be 'made-up' that much.  Redd made an appearance on Flip Wilson's show -- you can see it on YT -- in a segment titled "The Heckler".  This segment apparently aired right before "Sanford & Son" took to air because at the end of the segment Flip and Redd talk about Redd's "new show" and how it was premiering "tomorrow night". 

As I mentioned earlier too, SPENCER TRACY was said to have been a heavy smoker, but  mostly in private.  And too....  Died June 10th 1967  looking MUCH older than the 67 years old he was.  Hell,  I'm 70 and STILL look years younger than Tracy did at his end.  And for me, it's YEARS after smoking tobacco heavily for over 30 years, which was AFTER I quit smoking anything else one could smoke  from '72 to  until '85.    And '72 was the FIRST time I quit smoking, after first taking up the habit as a 13 year old.   So you gotta figure Spencer was doing much more than just smoking heavy.

Sepiatone

SPENCER TRACY was on all kinds of 'pills' for years besides the smoking and drinking and lack of sleep from what I've read.  He also carried around enormous sums of guilt from his marriage, his son, his acting career and who knows what else. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

SPENCER TRACY was on all kinds of 'pills' for years besides the smoking and drinking and lack of sleep from what I've read.  He also carried around enormous sums of guilt from his marriage, his son, his acting career and who knows what else. 

He had a lot of problems on top of what you listed his bisexuality was a very big one apparently.And he and his wife were Catholics.

It's a shame that Spencer Tracy was tormented by so many things.  I remember Scotty Bowers mentioning something about Spencer Tracy in regards to bi-sexuality . . . but I don't remember exactly what.  I do remember that Scotty Bowers mentioned his first 'customer' (or however you'd like to phrase it) -- was Walter Pidgeon seeking a [you know what] when Scotty was working at a gas station after WW2 ended. 

There's no shortage of tormented thespians!

ALSO:  William Holden was a heavy smoker to go along with his heavy drinking.  It aged him quite a lot.  Robert Taylor was also a heavy smoker and died from lung cancer at age 57 -- same age as Humphrey Bogart was when he passed on from throat cancer.   Richard Burton was also a heavy smoker and, of course, drank so much alcohol it crystallized on his spine by 1980 so he had to have delicate surgery to fix it.  Or remove the 'crystals'.   Burton died of a cerebral hemorrhage in August 1984 at age 58.