Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM programmers should stop deferring to themselves about...

what movies are good...instead of being guided by the voices of the public which people TRY to inject by means of public feedback on these forums. LISTEN TO THE PUBLIC. That's my motto. One of the main reasons, perhaps the major reason, the cable industry in America is in such decline today (aside from the monthly rates) is because in the past alot of knowledgable people who INTUITIVELY had a sense of the public's wants and desires have NOW been replaced by a bunch of incompetents WITH NO intuition of what the public wants to see and watch and who are actually ignorant enough to believe that their college marketing degrees empower THEM to decide what THEY THINK we all want to see. A perfect example of this misguided mindset is the preference of tcm programmers to opt for the "underground" cult fare of guys like Russ Meyer and Herschel Gordon Lewis. Let me tell you something, TCM. When I was watching the syndicated movie fare of the 1960s & 1970s, there was NOTHING of those two's works being shown in syndication then because their films were simply regarded as being to REPULSIVE for home audiences of that time. WHAT you SHOULD be putting on are those movies that are best remembered by the public during those years. For example, the marvelously over-the-top mexican horror imports of K. Gordon Murray. Do we get those?...no. The TCM programming department thinks the public will derive more enjoyment from Russ Meyer's homicidal babes or a cannibalistic egyptian caterer...give me a break! JUST for the record, TCM. The first on-screen vampire WITH FANGS in cinema history was German Robles in "El Vampiro" from mexico in 1958. Has TCM ever shown that? No, of course not. Lets just try to get a little bit more ON THE STICK in the future shall we. START SHOWING the public's best loved perennial favorites...not movies that YOU like.

Message was edited by: VonFrankenhausen

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> > ???

>

> I think he wants to see more Mexican horror movies on TCM.

Yes. The one's he can't find on the piracy sites.

> {quote:title=VonFrankenhausen wrote:}{quote}

>The first on-screen vampire WITH FANGS in cinema history was German Robles in "El Vampiro" from mexico in 1958. Has TCM ever shown that? No, of course not.

Actually, it was scheduled to be shown during TCM's "Latinos in Film" series, but it was yanked because everyone agreed that Robles really bites in this.

I don't know if it's true anymore, but at one time, owners would often cycle their films -- license them for a year or two and then put them on the inactive list for a long time.

By offering less titles at any one time, they save bookkeeping, storage/handling, and printing costs.

It also generated interest when a film was available again after many years. (Send a programming department a catalog of 1000 titles, and they'll shove it on a shelf and forget it, but send them a monthly newsletter listing the two or three they can finally show again and they're likely to jump on it.)

That's why you can go a decade without seeing a movie and then it's suddenly being shown on three different channels in the same week.

Also, rights issues are always cropping up, especially on movies made fifty or sixty years ago (heirs often have agendas far different from those of the original copyright holders).

Another factor to consider is that programmers, epsecially TCM's, must cater to the public. If they don't, viewership drops and management fires them and brings in programmers whose selections draw a wider audience.

If TCM started showing more Mexican horror, they'd have at least one less viewer during that time slot.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Well, who knows. Maybe tcmprogrammr can dig up a copy of that old classic, Santo vs. the Vampire Women (1962) - it looks pretty entertaining:

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ3d0nW_vE0

I've seen it. It is hysterically bad, yet you can't turn away from it because it really is entertaining. As a kid, these Mexican masked-wrestler movies always turned up on my local channels, and I got a big (flying drop) kick out of them. I watched this film years ago with some friends and narrated it like I was doing wrestling play-by-play. "Snap mare!" "Fireman's-carry takedown!" "Hip toss!" Great stuff.

*"..."Santo's Claws Conquers The Martinets".* - Rusty

Ooh, boy. Have you been missed!

What a pleasant sight to see your name on the end of a thread. Hope you hang around for awhile. And jump back in on a programming challenge.

Hope you're well.

Kyle In Hollywood

Holy Toledo!

A girl goes out of town for a few days and returns home to see Rusty back on the boards!!!!

YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!

Hope all is well with you and hope you hang around awhile!

Welcome back, Rusty!

We've missed you. Really.

I only really want to see 3 K. Gordon Murray vampire flicks and they are "The Bloody Vampire" With Carlos Agosti as Count Siegfried Von Frankenhausen (my namesake) as well as the sequel "Invasion of the Vampires" and "The Vampire's Coffin" with German Robles and Abel Salazar.

Message was edited by: VonFrankenhausen

Kyle and Lynn,

Thank you for the welcome. I know this is a little off topic, but I thought I would explain my lack of participation regarding TCM forums. I've been so busy practicing dorodango, I hardly have time to eat or relieve myself...forget about internet participation. I'm almost dorodango daffy.

Dorodango is making shiny balls out of mud.

Rusty