Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KidChaplin

Why do things, names change?

This is a trivial subject, but one that has bugged me for years and I was hoping someone, maybe with industry knowledge, could answer it. Why do names and places change for no reason in TV shows? Example, I am a fan of the Andy Griffith Show  and notice how the Taylors address changes, Floyd is married with a kid and then he talks about dating other women and no more mention of a kid, Aunt Bee's friend, Clara had the last names of Johnson and Edwards, the backdoor in the Taylor kitchen was on the wall with the sink in the black and white episodes then was on the wall to the left in the color episodes. Why all these changes? I guess I am saying...what's the purpose? I know sometimes you can change a character's backstory, but why something so trivial as moving a door? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, KidChaplin said:

I know sometimes you can change a character's backstory, but why something so trivial as moving a door? Thanks!

Because shows have different screenwriters, and canon in a sitcom isn't as important as canon in Star Trek.

Seriously, ever try to keep The Flintstones facts straight from one episode to the next?  (Quick, where did Fred work?  What was their address?  And the only one they did keep was Wilma's maiden name, and that's the one everyone gets wrong.)

And then there are disappearing cast members, like the soaps character who went upstairs -- and never returned.

Also, anybody remember Richie Cunningham's brother Chuck on "Happy Days"?

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even I Love Lucy which HAD the same writers the entire time had continuity issues.  Ethel Mertz had three middle names: Louise, May, Roberta.   The Ricardos' apartment number switched from 3B to 3D to accomodate a joke about Lucy appearing in "3D." I don't think people had any idea that people would be finding all these issues 50 years later.

45 minutes ago, jakeem said:

And then there are disappearing cast members, like the soaps character who went upstairs -- and never returned.

Also, anybody remember Richie Cunningham's brother Chuck on "Happy Days" ?

Mo Rocca did a whole episode of his podcast "Mobituaries"  on sitcom deaths and disappearances.  Richie's older brother went upstairs one episode and was never seen again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Mo Rocca did a whole episode of his podcast "Mobituaries"  on sitcom deaths and disappearances.  Richie's older brother went upstairs one episode and was never seen again.

In Family Matters, aka "The Urkel Show," one of the Winslow's daughters disappear.  In Step By Step, one of Patrick Duffy's children disappear. 

Re: Happy Days. Losing Chuck was no big loss.  He was lame.  Now if only Chachi had taken the same route.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

In Step By Step, one of Patrick Duffy's children disappear. 

Did he come back the next season and say the past year was all just a bad dream?

• Haha 2

Just now, Fedya said:

Did he come back the next season and say the past year was all just a bad dream?

Haha no.

He was essentially replaced by the irritating Welch’s grape juice girl. 

At least we found out what happened to the kid who was briefly on Married: With Children...sort of:

milk.jpg

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

At least we found out what happened to the kid who was briefly on Married: With Children...sort of:

milk.jpg

Wonder should their be a milk carton for obnoxious spoiled brats one wants to get lost?

tumblr_oz89mfDwsM1ue3fsio1_500.gifv

Have issues, phone 1-800-GET-LOST

:angry::P

While I can't tell ya why "things" would sometimes change, but I CAN tell ya why "names" were sometimes changed on old TV shows, anyway.

Because of course,  "to protect the innocent".

(...dum, da DUM dum)

• Haha 1

I wish Ritchie from “The Dick Van Dyke Show” would have gone “missing.” Alan Brady had to have known somebody that could take care of this. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish Ritchie from “The Dick Van Dyke Show” would have gone “missing.” Alan Brady had to have known somebody that could take care of this. 

LOL

Yep, gotta admit Larry Mathews was probably THE worst child actor ever.

(...good thing he knew it and went on to become an account exec as an adult)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yep, gotta admit Larry Mathews was probably THE worst child actor ever.

(...good thing he knew it and went on to become an account exec as an adult)

Even Little Ricky was better. At least he could play the drums. 

Larry Matthews is awful. i will trust he’s a better account exec than actor. 

Lemme respond to a couple here( and as I haven't yet mastered the "multiple quote" thing yet...)

Notice too, on I LOVE LUCY,  the FIREPLACE changes over the years.   And as to THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.............

Earlier episodes have Mary Tyler Moore's character named LAURIE( or LORI) and then a season(or two?) later, it's just LAURA. 

And for an extra, why did THE BEAVER stop hangin' 'round with LARRY MONDELLO? 

And I fully agree about RITCHIE PETRI being the most annoying little kid on TV, and Mathews as a terrible actor.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

One that always stuck out to me was the back door on The Andy Griffith Show.  "Let's see.....the door is on the wall where the sink and cabinets are. Hmm....let's move it a couple of feet to the left on the other wall!" 

I just dont get WHY? I know it's trivial and not exactly a world crisis problem. But I was just curious who came up with ideas like that.  Characters, like Chuck Cunningham, I get. Character is lame, doesn't quite fit like you thought, etc., etc. But why a person, like Clara Johnson / Edwards has a name change without getting married just makes me scratch my head. Floyd being married, then not being married, again, is a character change.  Bernard Milton Fife and Bernard Oliver Fife.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Lemme respond to a couple here( and as I haven't yet mastered the "multiple quote" thing yet...)

Notice too, on I LOVE LUCY,  the FIREPLACE changes over the years.   And as to THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.............

Earlier episodes have Mary Tyler Moore's character named LAURIE( or LORI) and then a season(or two?) later, it's just LAURA. 

And I fully agree about RITCHIE PETRI being the most annoying little kid on TV, and Mathews as a terrible actor.

Sepiatone

Ooh, good mention of MTM's mild name change from the earlier episodes "Laurie" to the later episodes "Laura" here, Sepia!

(...btw, ever noticed her name changed JUST about the same time Rob stopped wearing hats?!...coincidence?...YOU be the judge!) ;)

LOL

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Notice too, on I LOVE LUCY,  the FIREPLACE changes over the years.   ...

Sepiatone

On I LOVE LUCY, the Ricardos live in two different apartments in the Mertzes’ building before they move to Connecticut.  That may account for the different fireplaces.

According to Wikipedia, Larry Mondello left LEAVE IT TO BEAVER because actor Rusty Stevens’ family moved from California to Philadelphia.  (I read elsewhere that it was because his dad was transferred by the company he worked for, something that I know from personal experience happened a lot in the 60s.)

I’ll join the consensus that Larry Matthews wasn’t a very good actor.  It’s surprising that Carl Reiner, Danny Thomas, and Sheldon Leonard, the creator and producers of the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, respectively, didn’t find a better actor for that role, given the spot-on casting of the other parts.  I did find Richie’s shtick amusing when he ran into and out of almost every scene he was in.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:25 PM, EricJ said:

And the only one they did keep was Wilma's maiden name, and that's the one everyone gets wrong.)

Was it Wilma Pebble? I recall it on one episode.

7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Was it Wilma Pebble? I recall it on one episode.

Three episodes, actually--Her mother, Pearl Slaghoople, had remarried several times.

("After all, Wilma, it's no crime to be poor...If it was, your father would have been Public Enemy #1!")

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, KidChaplin said:

One that always stuck out to me was the back door on The Andy Griffith Show.  "Let's see.....the door is on the wall where the sink and cabinets are. Hmm....let's move it a couple of feet to the left on the other wall!" 

I just dont get WHY? 

I have no knowledge of specifics for that program but I suspect it has to do with depth of the stage. A door which faces the camera must have open space behind it because that area will be seen each time a person enters or leaves through the door. A door which is perpendicular to the camera could have a virtual coffin behind it into which the actor is stuffed prior to the beginning of the scene where he will wait until he is to step out on cue. A door facing the camera must also address exterior elements such as the next house or tall fence or hedge. There could be serious issues regarding the amount of space available versus the added realism.

The continuity errors on sitcoms are nothing compared to the continuity errors on soaps, where there's a frequent turnover of writers, and children suffer from SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome) so that they can be old enough to have teenage love affairs and unplanned pregnancies.

• Haha 1

It's also jarring when a character is portrayed by two actors who look nothing alike. In Seinfeld, Jerry's dad was played by Phil Bruns in one episode but every other appearance is Barney Martin.

Phil-Bruns-as-Morty-Seinfeld.jpg

340?cb=20120204122559

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BingFan said:

On I LOVE LUCY, the Ricardos live in two different apartments in the Mertzes’ building before they move to Connecticut.  That may account for the different fireplaces.

According to Wikipedia, Larry Mondello left LEAVE IT TO BEAVER because actor Rusty Stevens’ family moved from California to Philadelphia.  (I read elsewhere that it was because his dad was transferred by the company he worked for, something that I know from personal experience happened a lot in the 60s.)

I’ll join the consensus that Larry Matthews wasn’t a very good actor.  It’s surprising that Carl Reiner, Danny Thomas, and Sheldon Leonard, the creator and producers of the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, respectively, didn’t find a better actor for that role, given the spot-on casting of the other parts.  I did find Richie’s shtick amusing when he ran into and out of almost every scene he was in.

Well, it seems funny to me that the fireplace is the ONLY difference in the two apartments.   

And I knew about Rusty Stevens moving out of state being the reason for his leaving the show, but it's that the character's leaving the show was never really addressed as far as I know.  Like, mentioning Larry's having moved and "Won't the Beaver miss his best friend a lot?  What on Earth will we DO, Ward?"  ;) 

And as stated, more of a mystery as to why Reiner and Co. cast Larry Mathews is why Mrs. Petrie's first name went from LAURIE(or LORI) to LAURA?   And, of course, that mysterious moving wing back chair.  You know...  One episode it's there by the front door, another episode it's moved elsewhere, and a few episodes later, it's BACK by the door!    And a cute(I thought) aside.......

On the sitcom THE MIDDLE, in which Dick's brother JERRY VAN DYKE played Patricia Heaton's character's Father, there was an episode in which her uncle, who was her DAD'S brother, was coming for a visit.  That uncle was portrayed by Dick Van Dyke, and her father(played by Jerry, remember...) was telling her how to "senior proof" her house.  Like, "never put a throw rug on a carpet.  That's a death trap!" and such, and what I wondered was planned or not, he then told the kids to, "Move that OTTOMAN out of the way.  He'll trip over that for sure!"  ;) :D 

Sepiatone