Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KidChaplin

Why do things, names change?

On 1/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, Sepiatone said:

Well, it seems funny to me that the fireplace is the ONLY difference in the two apartments.   

And I knew about Rusty Stevens moving out of state being the reason for his leaving the show, but it's that the character's leaving the show was never really addressed as far as I know.  Like, mentioning Larry's having moved and "Won't the Beaver miss his best friend a lot?  What on Earth will we DO, Ward?"  ;)

Sepiatone

I haven't watched I LOVE LUCY for a while, but I seem to remember other differences between the Ricardos' two apartments besides the fireplaces.  The second, bigger apartment had a window on the back wall, under their piano, which wasn't there in their original apartment.  And I think there was a brick wall in one of the apartments but not the other.  There may have been other differences...

You're right about Larry Mondello's absence not being explained on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.  Having moved around when I was a kid in the 60s, as well as having lost friends who moved away, I think it would have been more realistic to acknowledge his departure in some way.  Heck, my friends gave me a surprise going-away party right before one of our family moves, one of my fondest memories from those years, and it's not like I was the most popular kid on the block -- kids just did things like that for each other, at least in my neighborhood.  I think the Beav would have done something like that for Larry.  Or even if the show's producers didn't know far enough in advance about Larry's departure to work in a going-away party, they could at least have had the Beav lament his friend's absence in the next season.  (Oh well -- the producers didn't know we'd be watching and analyzing the shows 60 years later.  They probably thought, reasonably at the time, that the audience would forget about Larry by the next season.)

• Like 1

The most mysterious disappearance on Happy Days wasn't that of Chuck but of their dining room.  Like, how do you misplace a freaking dining room?  They went from having a nice dining room between the living room and kitchen, complete with a large table, in the first season to sitting at a rinky dink table IN the living room for the rest of the series.  Also, their front door swapped sides, having previously been on the opposite side of the house as the kitchen.

On I Love Lucy, one of her friends' names also changed.  The character generally known as Carolyn Appleby was called Lillian Appleby in one episode.  Also, much is made of her being blind as a bat without her glasses when she visits the Ricardos in Hollywood, yet at no other time was this an issue.

On George Lopez, his mother mentions having outlived her own mother.  Later in the series, her once-thought dead mom waltzes in without explanation and is played by Rita Moreno.

According to one website:

"The interior of the Cunningham home changed dramatically beginning with season three. The front door moved completely from one side of the house to the other. The reason for this change was because the filming switched from being filmed with a single-camera and laugh track, to using three cameras and a live audience.

Throughout all of these changes however, the outside of the Milwaukee house remained the same. The exterior is a real house that actually resides at 565 North Cahuenga Boulevard, in Los Angeles. The house was chosen because it was felt that it looked like something that resembled middle America in the 1950s.

It’s a private residence but perhaps Chuck is hiding in one of the six bedrooms of this 3,904 sq. ft. home."

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/happy-days-house-15546/

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, BingFan said:

On I LOVE LUCY, the Ricardos live in two different apartments in the Mertzes’ building before they move to Connecticut.  That may account for the different fireplaces.

According to Wikipedia, Larry Mondello left LEAVE IT TO BEAVER because actor Rusty Stevens’ family moved from California to Philadelphia.  (I read elsewhere that it was because his dad was transferred by the company he worked for, something that I know from personal experience happened a lot in the 60s.)

I’ll join the consensus that Larry Matthews wasn’t a very good actor.  It’s surprising that Carl Reiner, Danny Thomas, and Sheldon Leonard, the creator and producers of the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, respectively, didn’t find a better actor for that role, given the spot-on casting of the other parts.  I did find Richie’s shtick amusing when he ran into and out of almost every scene he was in.

Ritchie was ALWAYS YELLING HIS LINES.

They should have had Ron Howard pull double duty and play Ritchie too.  It could have worked, Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke both filmed at Desilu.

7 hours ago, Feego said:

On I Love Lucy, one of her friends' names also changed.  The character generally known as Carolyn Appleby was called Lillian Appleby in one episode.  Also, much is made of her being blind as a bat without her glasses when she visits the Ricardos in Hollywood, yet at no other time was this an issue.

They changed Lillian Appleby's name to Carolyn when it was decided that "Lucy" and "Lillian" sounded too similar.  Why they didn't think about that during the writing process, I have no idea.  Maybe when Carolyn changed her name, her eyesight went bad too.  Lol.  Then she got lasik by the time the superman episode rolled around.

I've always wondered about the names on Mary Tyler Moore.  Why did they have two main characters and a semi-regular character named Mary, Murray, and Marie ?

8 hours ago, BingFan said:

I haven't watched I LOVE LUCY for a while, but I seem to remember other differences between the Ricardos' two apartments besides the fireplaces.  The second, bigger apartment had a window on the back wall, under their piano, which wasn't there in their original apartment.  And I think there was a brick wall in one of the apartments but not the other.  There may have been other differences...

Their one bedroom apartment, 4A, had the brick wall with the fireplace and archway that went into the hallway.  The fireplace in the first apartment had a more ornate antique looking mantel.  There was no window on the back wall and no closet by the hallway.  A season one episode would have us believe that the Ricardos' living room window is on the fourth wall.  In the kitchen, the Ricardos had a breakfast counter.   The bedroom had 2 walk-in closets with access to the bathroom through both. The bedroom also had a window on the far side of the room, nearest to Lucy.

When the Ricardos switch apartments with the Bensons and move into 3B (later revised to 3D for a joke), their apartment has a more modern looking fireplace mantel and the brick wall is gone.  They also gain a coat closet in the living room and a window above the piano. Little Ricky's room is located through Lucy and Ricky's bedroom.  I believe that Lucy and Ricky possibly may have lost one walk-in closet, but gained the extra bedroom.  In the kitchen, their breakfast bar is gone, and replaced with a dining table. 

Presumably, their fourth wall window remains in both apartments.  They also kept the  back door and the pass-through window.

I love how the Mertzes have this enormous kitchen, but tiny living room.  I guess that is the perk of being the landlord, you can nab the apartment with the best kitchen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I believe that Lucy and Ricky possibly may have lost one walk-in closet, but gained the extra bedroom.

Completely unrealistic considering Lucy's extensive wardrobe. (I like when we see garments repeated in different episodes)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Ritchie was ALWAYS YELLING HIS LINES.

They should have had Ron Howard pull double duty and play Ritchie too.  It could have worked, Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke both filmed at Desilu.

That might have worked.  And did you know( as I noticed watching old reruns of DENNIS THE MENACE) that Ron was one of Dennis'  friends on earlier episodes of that show?   Was a kid named Stewart.   And there's another reason for change...

In DENNIS THE MENACE, the character of MR. WILSON was played by JOSEPH KERNS, who died in '62 and was replaced by GALE GORDON,  who, instad of playing the same character was ushered in as Mr. Wilson's brother.  I can't remember if the show had the original Mr.Wilson character die or not, or just move away...

Sepiatone

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That might have worked.  And did you know( as I noticed watching old reruns of DENNIS THE MENACE) that Ron was one of Dennis'  friends on earlier episodes of that show?   Was a kid named Stewart.   And there's another reason for change...

In DENNIS THE MENACE, the character of MR. WILSON was played by JOSEPH KERNS, who died in '62 and was replaced by GALE GORDON,  who, instad of playing the same character was ushered in as Mr. Wilson's brother.  I can't remember if the show had the original Mr.Wilson character die or not, or just move away...

Sepiatone

From the wiki page for the sitcom Dennis the Menace:

Death of Joseph Kearns[edit]

300px-Gale_Gordon_Jay_North_Dennis_the_M

Jay North as Dennis and Gale Gordon as John Wilson, 1962

On February 17, 1962, after filming the show's 100th episode, Joseph Kearns died of a cerebral hemorrhage. In a 2010 interview, actress Gloria Henry revealed Kearns followed a strict six-week Metrecal diet that may have contributed to his death.[2] The following two episodes were filmed without the character of Mr. Wilson. Gale Gordon joined the cast for the last six episodes of the season as Mr. Wilson's brother John. Gordon bore a closer resemblance to the comic strip's Mr. Wilson than Kearns did. It was explained that John was staying as a guest while George was settling an estate back east. Sylvia Field, who played Martha Wilson, was let go at the end of the season. In the fourth and final season, John Wilson purchased the house from his brother, although where George and Martha had moved was never explained. He was joined by his wife Eloise, played by Sara Seegar. Final references to George and Martha Wilson were made early in the fourth season, although they were not mentioned by name after the first episode. George Wilson was referred to as "the other Mr. Wilson" in the second episode, and John Wilson says in the seventh episode he bought the house from his brother. After that, the original Wilsons were never mentioned again.

• Thanks 2

I believe that the death of Larry Keating is why the neighbors in Mr. Ed changed as well. 

• Like 1

Actually Darg, I never thought Gale Gordon bore ANY resemblance to the comic strip Mr. Wilson.  Just as Kearns never did too.    But then too, I can't think of any actor back then who might have.   Possibly LOU JACOBI .   

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually Darg, I never thought Gale Gordon bore ANY resemblance to the comic strip Mr. Wilson.  Just as Kearns never did too.    But then too, I can't think of any actor back then who might have.   Possibly LOU JACOBI .   

I thought no other actor besides Gordon was born to play Mr. Wilson.  (Not even Walter Matthau in the John Hughes movie.)

As a kid, the comic strip and the TV Gordon were inseparably linked in my mind.

I like the way George Burns breaks the 4th wall and explains the change in neighbor Harry Morton at 8:37

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

I thought no other actor besides Gordon was born to play Mr. Wilson.  (Not even Walter Matthau in the John Hughes movie.)

Probably  someone in the production staff's idea, but I felt both Kearns and Gordon played Mr. Wilson MUCH too "stuffy".  As I recall in the comic, Wilson was mostly a cranky old man,  and more of an ordinary individual. 

CLTD:  I saw that episode of THE BURNS AND ALLEN SHOW not to long ago on AntennaTV.    And notice too;  Blanche not only had four different husbands on the show( actually, just four different actors playing her husband) but their occupations changed.  KEATING was an accountant,  FRED CLARK was a real estate agent,   I don't really know what the previous "husbands"( Hal March, John Brown) did for a living.   And as I watched the show as a kid from '55-'56(when I was 4 and 5) until it ended whn I was 7('58) and saw scant reruns in syndication after that,  I was too young at the time to really care who did what for a living.  And one aspect of the show I always thought was kind of cool(for the times) was the TV set George Burns had in his above garage "study".   What a concept!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, EricJ said:

Even though Gale Gordon looked more  like the comic strip Mr. Wilson I preferred Joseph Kearns as Mr. Wilson . He had a better rapport with Dennis and I found him funnier. Gale Gordon's  Mr. Wilson just didn't click and the ratings slipped.

Sepiatone, I was only 2 in 1958 so I missed the first run of Burns and Allen, but I'm glad they have it on Antenna TV.  I just wish they had it on at a decent hour, I usually fall asleep before it comes on.

I didn't realize that the other Harry Morton's weren't accountants.  I always thought it was strange that they had 2 regular characters named Harry so that they had to always use their last name when they referred to them.

I read that they used the Burns' real house as a model for the set, including his above the garage study and that the opening of some of the early shows (which I haven't seen) used their actual house they lived in and where George continued to live until he died.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, Dargo said:

From the wiki page for the sitcom Dennis the Menace:

Death of Joseph Kearns[edit]

300px-Gale_Gordon_Jay_North_Dennis_the_M

Jay North as Dennis and Gale Gordon as John Wilson, 1962

On February 17, 1962, after filming the show's 100th episode, Joseph Kearns died of a cerebral hemorrhage. In a 2010 interview, actress Gloria Henry revealed Kearns followed a strict six-week Metrecal diet that may have contributed to his death.[2] The following two episodes were filmed without the character of Mr. Wilson. Gale Gordon joined the cast for the last six episodes of the season as Mr. Wilson's brother John. Gordon bore a closer resemblance to the comic strip's Mr. Wilson than Kearns did. It was explained that John was staying as a guest while George was settling an estate back east. Sylvia Field, who played Martha Wilson, was let go at the end of the season. In the fourth and final season, John Wilson purchased the house from his brother, although where George and Martha had moved was never explained. He was joined by his wife Eloise, played by Sara Seegar. Final references to George and Martha Wilson were made early in the fourth season, although they were not mentioned by name after the first episode. George Wilson was referred to as "the other Mr. Wilson" in the second episode, and John Wilson says in the seventh episode he bought the house from his brother. After that, the original Wilsons were never mentioned again.

Wow...talk about a trip down memory lane!  I barely remember Metrecal.  I was more familiar with its 60's competition, Seego,  and of course, SlimFast from the 70's..  I had no idea that the "Metrecal Plan" was basically a starvation diet.   It's fascinating to me how times evolve as far as what we know about the stuff we ingest on a daily basis.  I've started eating much healthier than in the past along with a daily workout regimen that's helped me drop about 20 pounds in two months.  I still have a way to go to get to where I'd like to be, but changing my diet and drinking more water have helped a great deal, and I really don't feel deprived by taking in less food.  But to stop eating solid food as part of dietary plan?  No thank you!

• Like 1

I don't know where you live  CLTD, but for now AntennaTV has the show being broadcast at 8:00am  EST.  for an hour.  

And MIDNIGHT08, the animated cartoon conception of Mr. Wilson bears more a resemblance to Gale Gordon.  But then again...

One of my sisters in law insists I look like CHEVY CHASE.  But me, my wife and children(and others I asked) don't see it.    But I digress....

Ya gotta admit, the casting for Dennis'  Father(HERBERT ANDERSON)  and Margaret(JENNIE RUSSELL) was spot on!  Remarkable.

Sepiatone

I'm on the east coast and I did catch it this morning! They changed the schedule with the new year and I'm not used to what time everything I like (the older shows) is on yet.