Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

JOHN WATERS FANS!

Recommended Posts

A double feature tonight on Underground.

Female Trouble and Multiple Maniacs! BE THERE!

Back when John Waters still pushed the envelope.....Can't shock people anymore.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hibi said:

A double feature tonight on Underground.

Female Trouble and Multiple Maniacs! BE THERE!

Back when John Waters still pushed the envelope.....Can't shock people anymore.

This is the first UNDERGROUND in ages that I am looking forward to, have not seen MULTIPLE MANIACS, have only seen FEMALE TROUBLE once and recall little about it other than not liking it, but I have the feeling that it needs multiple viewings.

the only JOHN WATERS movie I do NOT get (after multiple viewings) is DESPERATE LIVING, although it;s a GREAT TITLE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This is the first UNDERGROUND in ages that I am looking forward to, have not seen MULTIPLE MANIACS, have only seen FEMALE TROUBLE once and recall little about it other than not liking it, but I have the feeling that it needs multiple viewings.

the only JOHN WATERS movie I do NOT get (after multiple viewings) is DESPERATE LIVING, although it;s a GREAT TITLE.

Haven't seen either. 

Just 

****
Serial Mom
Hairspray
Pink Flamingos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only saw Hairspray... and that's his tamest.... But I did hear about Serial Mom, what with Kathleen Turner murdering people for wearing white after labor day and for not rewinding the rental copy tape of Annie (and killing that person while belting out The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the restoration of Multiple Maniacs so I'm really looking forward to it.  Both of these are from back in the days when Dreamland Studios was still a thing, when John had his "guys", Vince Perranio for sets and Van Smith for costumes, as well as the looniest stock company of actors in the modern era. Lady Divine's traveling clip show, the Cavalcade of Perversions which sets up in suburban Baltimore,  is so  inspired that the obvious lack of a budget only adds the its effectiveness.  Both movies drip with John's trademark purple prose and the stilted delivery of David Lochary in particular makes it all insanely real. I can't believe we're about to see Mink Stole's "rosary job" on TCM. Life is good. By the time of Female Trouble John was taking his craft much more seriously and was moving steadily in the direction of sustained narrative and scenic composition, which started him on the road to Polyester and Hairspray. But in his head he was always making "real" movies and the amazing reach of his imagination is fully on display in both of these early treasures. So what if it's his hippie friends playing the National Guard gunning down Divine on the streets of Baltimore? I don't think any filmmaker made the suspension of disbelief so necessary or so rewarding. And we're getting a double feature? Sweet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

MULTIPLE MANIACS (1970) on TCM 2am est - I'll be watching that one!!! 

I'm not a huge Waters' fan but this film is hilarious.

"No one has been near my privates... except this old lady I met on the bus!" :o :lol: :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I only saw Hairspray... and that's his tamest.... But I did hear about Serial Mom, what with Kathleen Turner murdering people for wearing white after labor day and for not rewinding the rental copy tape of Annie (and killing that person while belting out The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow)

I love, love, love SERIAL MOM and HIGHLY recommend it. I also like CRY-BABY an awful lot and I enjoy POLYESTER.

(SERIAL MOM also has some really lovely shots of BALTIMORE in springtime. )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was going to post the TRAILER to DESPERATE LIVING, but it's so filthy even I am not going to risk it.

The trailer and the entire film are on youtube if any of you FREAKS wanna check it out.

(It starts out strong and then just turns into murky, depressing **** after 20 minutes.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

But I did hear about Serial Mom, what with Kathleen Turner murdering people for wearing white after labor day and for not rewinding the rental copy tape of Annie 

What with what?  That premise sounds funny, if I understand it correctly.

I'm a fan of Baltimore after spending an entire month on a job site there. My coworkers were terrified, but I found the people just lovely. I spent some time sight-seeing filming locations, sadly all now gone. Fells Point, the once seedy area where Divine ate the dog poop is now the "safe" gentrified tourist boutique area. The Hefty Hideaway gorgeous Art Deco storefront had been rehabbed with goofy fabric awnings and Barry Levinson's DINER has been demolished for chi chi waterfront apartments. How stupid can the locals be to allow that?

Luckily, John Waters' favorite cinema, the SENATOR is still operating. I believe he holds his movie premieres there. There are sidewalk squares out front commemorating them.

main-auditorium.jpg

I think John Waters is an American Original. So grateful he puts himself out there making unique movies. Glad to know so many others appreciate him too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched most of it.  It was on so late, I didn't watch the ending which I've seen before.  Though PINK FLAMINGOS is the most revolting and disgusting movie I've seen (that I enjoyed) MULTIPLE MANIACS is the most offensive.   Thumbup  It's a garbage pile, the summit of Trash, with a capital "T".  OMG.  BounceGiggle

"Oh Miss Divine is so beautiful and glamorous!"

"Oh, Mr. David, I want to commit acts with you!"

"Oh, Miss Divine, I've never given a rosary job to a celebrity before!"    

It's a messterpiece!  I love it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MM was fairly funny, though there are some scenes that go on a mite too long. Jesus Christ, just crucify the

guy already. Beware of puke, it's a gateway victual. People start off eating puke and the next thing you know,

they're eating sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

MM was fairly funny, though there are some scenes that go on a mite too long. Jesus Christ, just crucify the

guy already. Beware of puke, it's a gateway victual. People start off eating puke and the next thing you know,

they're eating sheet.

snicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

TCM showing these movies seems to have had the expected effect:

https://forums.tcm.com/forum/121-questions-and-concerns/

I responded to two complaint threads there that I noticed, and I came here a week ago TO complain... but not about film content!!!  Now those complaints are an example where the unhappy viewer should "Grow up".   One of the main reasons I've been watching TCM is the wonderful variety!  I applaud TCM. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

i was going to post the TRAILER to DESPERATE LIVING, but it's so filthy even I am not going to risk it.

The trailer and the entire film are on youtube if any of you FREAKS wanna check it out.

(It starts out strong and then just turns into murky, depressing **** after 20 minutes.)

Desperate Living is the only one of the early Waters (pre-Polyester) that I haven't seen. Unless there was anything before Multiple Maniacs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 9:25 AM, TikiSoo said:

What with what?  That premise sounds funny, if I understand it correctly.

I'm a fan of Baltimore after spending an entire month on a job site there. My coworkers were terrified, but I found the people just lovely. I spent some time sight-seeing filming locations, sadly all now gone. Fells Point, the once seedy area where Divine ate the dog poop is now the "safe" gentrified tourist boutique area. The Hefty Hideaway gorgeous Art Deco storefront had been rehabbed with goofy fabric awnings and Barry Levinson's DINER has been demolished for chi chi waterfront apartments. How stupid can the locals be to allow that?

Luckily, John Waters' favorite cinema, the SENATOR is still operating. I believe he holds his movie premieres there. There are sidewalk squares out front commemorating them.

main-auditorium.jpg

I think John Waters is an American Original. So grateful he puts himself out there making unique movies. Glad to know so many others appreciate him too.

What a beautiful theater!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, Vautrin said:

MM was fairly funny, though there are some scenes that go on a mite too long. Jesus Christ, just crucify the

guy already. Beware of puke, it's a gateway victual. People start off eating puke and the next thing you know,

they're eating sheet.

I know. The scenes drag on forever. And you rarely see a close-up. The camera just sits there for the whole scene! Female Trouble is the same, but not quite as bad.  I'd forgotten Divine rapes himself in Female Trouble! LOL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happened to wake up the other night while Female Trouble was on.  I'd seen it before, and while I remembered much of the "plot," as it were, I'd forgotten some of the more revealing scenes.  I turned on my TV just in time to be treated to, shall we say, an introspective look at Divine's loverboy.  Now that's a wake-up call! 😂 Oh how I wish straight-laced Dave Karger provided an intro/outro to this!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Feego said:

I happened to wake up the other night while Female Trouble was on.  I'd seen it before, and while I remembered much of the "plot," as it were, I'd forgotten some of the more revealing scenes.  I turned on my TV just in time to be treated to, shall we say, an introspective look at Divine's loverboy.  Now that's a wake-up call! 😂 Oh how I wish straight-laced Dave Karger provided an intro/outro to this!

ROFL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Desperate Living is the only one of the early Waters (pre-Polyester) that I haven't seen. Unless there was anything before Multiple Maniacs?

EAT YOUR MAKE-UP and HAG IN A BLACK LEATHER JACKET are his early early early works...I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked it up. Mondo Trasho was his first full length feature (just before Maniacs) Haven't seen that one or Desperate Living. Those you mentioned were shorts. (Havent seen them either).

 

Unfortunately, this will never see the light of day again because it would cost a fortune to obtain the music rights (which wasnt done for its original release). Mondo Trasho, I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot the John Waters films were airing this week.  I am out of town and am currently in the Bay Area for work.  I can't believe I forgot about this AND Noir Alley. Ugh. What kind of classic film fan am I? I don't think I've watched any movies since like Wednesday. 

The only John Waters film that I've seen is Cry-Baby.  Looks like I'll need to visit the library and catch up.  I also remember his appearance on The Simpsons as John, the acquaintance they meet and who Bart immediately takes a liking to.  Then Homer worries that John is turning Bart gay because he's suddenly into wearing wigs and dancing, and eating pink snowball "homemade store-bought snack cakes." 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...