Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NipkowDisc

Fred MacMurray

I was watching a fred macmurray western late last nite on free on demand "Day of the Bad Man" with three very respectable baddies, Robert Middleton, Skip Homeier and lee van cleef.
I read that fred macmurray didn't feel riding horses was his thing but his western performances are all first-rate. he deserves more recognition for his western persona which I find more effective than anything audie murphy ever starred in or for that matter randolph scott.
fred macmurray would always play these guys who were humble and quiet but when justifiably roused became dauntless principaled men of action. macmurray deserves more acknowledgement for his western hero performances. his western persona is top notch.
sweet joan weldon comes to her senses at the end and realizes she was wrong to hurt fred.

fred plays circuit judge jim scott.

Image result for fred macmurray day of the bad man

smartass skip homeier

Image result for fred macmurray day of the bad man

So, you respect him SO MUCH that you can't even capitalize his name?  

Fred did nine Westerns(far as I know) and was long considered a very fine actor,  regardless the genre.   Seemingly comfortable in roles ranging from "Rom-coms", to "Noir" and even television "Sit-coms".  MacMurray always seemed to be a "safe bet".  

Sepiatone

I am also one who appreciates Mr. MacMurray's versatility.  He seemed to be able to do it all.  And he was so good in the Westerns.  He was always believable and played real human beings.  

• Like 3

it has been said that Fred MacMurray never gave a bad performance in anything he did and he did it without a single acting lesson.

he woulda been an excellent choice to star in Shane.

:)

2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

it has been said that Fred MacMurray never gave a bad performance in anything he did and he did it without a single acting lesson.

That must have been said by someone who'd never seen Fred MacMurray.

He grew stale and lazy by the second half of his career. They even named one of the laziest working contracts in Hollywood after him.

• Like 1

so he  wanted to spend more time on his ranch with wife june havoc, nevertheless, his western persona is at least as good as audie murphy or Randolph scott.

there are so many great scenes with fred in his westerns like good day for a hanging. his fiancé sours on him because he wants to hang Robert Vaughn so here he is telling her son that even though there would be no marriage as far as ben cutler is concerned he already thinks of the boy has his son. few actors coulda pulled off such scenes with the sincerity of Fred MacMurray.

a great, great actor.

"thanks, nip."

Image result for fred macmurray

12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

he  wanted to spend more time on his ranch with wife june havoc

I think you meant June Haver. June Havoc is the sister of Gypsy Rose Lee.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

That must have been said by someone who'd never seen Fred MacMurray.

He grew stale and lazy by the second half of his career. They even named one of the laziest working contracts in Hollywood after him.

Was it laziness or a shrewd business deal? MacMurray's insistence on shooting all of his scenes in 65 days for a TV sitcom wasn't exactly the same as Brando's use of prompts and cue cards late in his career.

Image result for fred macmurray my three sons images

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Was it laziness or a shrewd business deal? MacMurray's insistence on shooting all of his scenes in 65 days for a TV sitcom wasn't exactly the same as Brando's use of prompts and cue cards late in his career.

In their later careers MacMurray  got into real estate while Brando was real estate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Terrence1 said:

I am also one who appreciates Mr. MacMurray's versatility.  He seemed to be able to do it all.  And he was so good in the Westerns.  He was always believable and played real human beings.  

So true!  MacMurray  was robbed of an Oscar nod for playing Walter Neff in Double Indemnity.

27 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

So true!  MacMurray  was robbed of an Oscar nod for playing Walter Neff in Double Indemnity.

I would say TWO people were robbed.    Only the dame got a nod!

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would say TWO people were robbed.    Only the dame got a nod!

I would have given the Best Supporting Actor Oscar to Edward G. Robinson hands down over Barry Fitzgerald.

Re: Best Actress.  I loved Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity but Ingrid Bergman was pretty good in Gaslight too.

Stanwyck deserved an Oscar for Stella Dallas

I also agree that Fred MacMurray should have been nominated for Double Indemnity

• Like 1

I really love Fred MacMurray in his darker roles like in Double Indemnity and The Apartment.  I also loved his pairings with Claudette Colbert.  I definitely think he was underrated.  I kind of lose interest in him once he segued into his Disney/My Three Sons era, only because I think he was better than the "aw shucks" type role that he had in the latter part of his career.  He was also very adept with comedy like in The Egg & I. And he was very sweet in romantic films like Remember the Night and Alice Adams.  I loved him in the noir Pushover.  I also found Fred MacMurray to be very handsome in the early part of his career.  I wouldn't really say he was "hot" like Flynn, but he was very handsome. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I would have given the Best Supporting Actor Oscar to Edward G. Robinson hands down over Barry Fitzgerald.

Re: Best Actress.  I loved Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity but Ingrid Bergman was pretty good in Gaslight too.

Stanwyck deserved an Oscar for Stella Dallas

I also agree that Fred MacMurray should have been nominated for Double Indemnity

Sadly E.G. Robinson wasn't nominated for that film or any film!      To me the biggest "say what???" in Oscar history.

• Like 2

And when I was a kid, I thought Fred MacMurray was the greatest actor in Hollywood.

I didn't know a whole lot, but I knew that Fred was on the movie marques downtown, he had his own TV show and he was on The Late Show all the time with Carole Lombard and Claudette Colbert-- the two top screwball comedy actresses of the 30s.

That's what impressed me the most about him. His longevity and his versatility.

My two favorite childhood movies for him were "The Shaggy Dog" and "Double Indemnity".

That's versatility!

• Like 1

I don't like fred in his darker roles very much except maybe pushover because he is more of a poor naïve sap in that and I prefer his later westerns and most of his Disney fare.

Image result for fred macmurray vera miles

I know Fred MacMurray was just SOTM a couple years ago, but I would welcome him as SOTM again! 

While he was a cad in The Apartment, he was great as Sheldrake. His daughter Kate was on one of the TCM cruises a few years back and did a  talk about his life & career. He didn’t really want to do My Three Sons so he made that “demand” where he only worked two months a year in order to sign on and the producer agreed to it.  He wanted time off to pursue other opportunities and not be tied down for nine months of the year. It worked out for him. He had eff you money at that point. (Although he was too decent to put it that way—those are my words, not his or his daughter.)  He was down to earth and maybe a little frugal with his money, but he supported his extended family throughout his career. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

While he was a cad in The Apartment, he was great as Sheldrake. His daughter Kate was on one of the TCM cruises a few years back and did a  talk about his life & career. He didn’t really want to do My Three Sons so he made that “demand” where he only worked two months a year in order to sign on and the producer agreed to it.  He wanted time off to pursue other opportunities and not be tied down for nine months of the year. It worked out for him. He had eff you money at that point. (Although he was too decent to put it that way—those are my words, not his or his daughter.)  He was down to earth and maybe a little frugal with his money, but he supported his extended family throughout his career. 

I remember back in 1974 fred hosting a primetime retrospective on CBS about the 14 seasons of My Three Sons.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, NipkowDisc said:

I don't like fred in his darker roles very much except maybe pushover because he is more of a poor naïve sap in that and I prefer his later westerns and most of his Disney fare.

Image result for fred macmurray vera miles

He played a villain (bank robber) in the western FACE OF A FUGITIVE (1959). And he was involved with cattle rustling in THE MOONLIGHTER (1953). So he didn't always play the good guy. That's what made him so versatile across so many genres.

He didn't exactly lock into one type of character, until the Disney years/My Three Sons years. But he still did something like KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT (1965), where he played against type as the first man (first male lady?) in the White House.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

He played a villain (bank robber) in the western FACE OF A FUGITIVE (1959). And he was involved with cattle rustling in THE MOONLIGHTER (1953). So he didn't always play the good guy. That's what made him so versatile across so many genres.

He didn't exactly lock into one type of character, until the Disney years/My Three Sons years. But he still did something like KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT (1965), where he played against type as the first man (first male lady?) in the White House.

MacMurray was also on the dark-side in the noir Pushover.      The title gives it away in that he wasn't a  bad-guy from the get-go,  but due to a femme-fatale was a pushover.    Of course I've been known to be a pushover but at least I didn't go as far as Fred's character (ha ha).

image.jpeg.b1c7d7c956ad54c9dfdcf65e582cd8a2.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:02 PM, Princess of Tap said:

And when I was a kid, I thought Fred MacMurray was the greatest actor in Hollywood.

I didn't know a whole lot, but I knew that Fred was on the movie marques downtown, he had his own TV show and he was on The Late Show all the time with Carole Lombard and Claudette Colbert-- the two top screwball comedy actresses of the 30s.

That's what impressed me the most about him. His longevity and his versatility.

My two favorite childhood movies for him were "The Shaggy Dog" and "Double Indemnity".

That's versatility!

I never saw DOUBLE INDEMNITY in my childhood, so in that case my favorite movies for him in that period of my life would be yep, "The Shaggy Dog" and "The Absent Minded Professor".    :) 

Sepiatone