Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vidor

31 Days of Oscar 2020

Why no topic for this yet?  The schedule's out.  It's a six-degrees-of-separation format again, which is fine, except that there are no documentaries.

Does anyone know any way to track or find out the short films that will be playing next month?

Most of the old-timers at this forum are feeling burn-out when it comes to 31 Days of Oscars.      The basis reason being that most of us have seen most of the films and thus there is little that is "fresh" in the month.

Of course the vast majority of films shown are high-quality but too-many-repeats is a common general complaint about TCM's programming and Oscar month is the poster child for this.

I would love an Oscar month where 40% or so of the films where films TCM has never shown or only show, say once every few years.    Most of these films would be winners of lesser awards or just films associated with Oscar nominations,  but that would be welcomed if I get to see something fresh.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:11 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Most of the old-timers at this forum are feeling burn-out when it comes to 31 Days of Oscars.      The basis reason being that most of us have seen most of the films and thus there is little that is "fresh" in the month.

Of course the vast majority of films shown are high-quality but too-many-repeats is a common general complaint about TCM's programming and Oscar month is the poster child for this.

I would love an Oscar month where 40% or so of the films where films TCM has never shown or only show, say once every few years.    Most of these films would be winners of lesser awards or just films associated with Oscar nominations,  but that would be welcomed if I get to see something fresh.

Well there's only so many movies to draw from, and TCM doesn't have the rights to all of them...no doubt they'd love to run "Star Wars".

I dunno, they must have a reason for what they do.  Presumably 31 Days of Oscar gets more viewers.  And there's someone out there who's never seen "Citizen Kane" before.  They have 11 months out of the year to show the weird stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the short film schedule is filled in on the grid once we get closer to Feb. 1.  I have a particular interest in Oscar-nominated short films and I wish TCM would list when they come on, especially next month.

7 minutes ago, Vidor said:

Well there's only so many movies to draw from, and TCM doesn't have the rights to all of them...no doubt they'd love to run "Star Wars".

I dunno, they must have a reason for what they do.  Presumably 31 Days of Oscar gets more viewers.  And there's someone out there who's never seen "Citizen Kane" before.  They have 11 months out of the year to show the weird stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the short film schedule is filled in on the grid once we get closer to Feb. 1.  I have a particular interest in Oscar-nominated short films and I wish TCM would list when they come on, especially next month.

It is my understanding that 31 Days is TCM's biggest marketing campaign.   E.g.  ads on CNN and other networks that "link" the up coming Oscars with this TCM "event".

So yea,  makes total sense why TCM continues with 31 Days. 

I hope you get your wish on those short-films.     That is something different and different is what I'm mostly looking for during Oscar month. 

I don't typically watch much during the 31 Days of Oscar, but right now I'm watching things on Watch TCM that I can stream onto my other monitor while I'm working.  I just watched The Apartment, but wasn't really paying much attention to it.  Now I'm watching The Adventures of Robin Hood.  I just noticed that TCM put up a title card listing the Oscar wins and nominations that the film received.  I don't recall them doing that prior--but I could obviously have not been paying attention.  I thought that was a nice touch. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just noticed that TCM put up a title card listing the Oscar wins and nominations that the film received.  I don't recall them doing that prior--but I could obviously have not been paying attention.  I thought that was a nice touch. 

I think they only do it for the films in the prime time  spot. I like it, too, but wish all of the films had the same introduction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If every movie shown in February is supposed to feature someone in the cast who was in the previous movie, they've got me confused by running "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940) followed by "It's a Great Feeling" (1949). I can't figure out who is in both movies. Does anyone else know?

Ever get the felling you’ll never live long enough to see Oscar winner “Parasite” on TCM? :mellow:

❤️

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:13 PM, musicalnovelty said:

If every movie shown in February is supposed to feature someone in the cast who was in the previous movie, they've got me confused by running "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940) followed by "It's a Great Feeling" (1949). I can't figure out who is in both movies. Does anyone else know?

I think character actor Irving Bacon was the link. He played the railroad clerk in IT'S A GREAT FEELING and the role of Driver in THE GRAPES OF WRATH.

I have a question about the promo for 31 Days Of Oscar. Towards the end, when the clips roll by a bit faster than in the beginning, what is the color film with the actor standing in the pool?

I was excited that one of my favorite dancers, Tommy Rall, was the featured 360 link this morning with PENNIES FROM HEAVEN and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS! 😊

On 2/4/2020 at 5:13 AM, sagebrush said:

I think they only do it for the films in the prime time  spot. I like it, too, but wish all of the films had the same introduction.

I agree; I would put my channel on hold just to check out the accolades.  I just became a member here and wanted to post something somewhere so I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting here.  Although just a newbie member, I have watched TCM for years, mainly the only channel I tune in to.  I will have to say "31 Days of Oscar" and August, "Summer under the Stars" are my two favorite months of the year with October being my least favorite as I am not a horror film watcher.  I feel TCM shows films to please everyone and I am looking forward to reading comments and maybe even making a few along the way.  While waiting for my member status to arrive, I browsed through some of the forums and totally enjoyed the interview posted of Hugh Downs: what any interesting man he was and lead such a full life!  Also appreciated finding the post on what Stars are being honored in August, already excited to start watching them.  I have tried many times to get this member status but my technical knowledge is a bit behind the times and never seemed to figure out how to get in.  I hope to be able to figure out as I go along how to post properly in the forums (there seem to be a lot, so I may be reading an popping up anywhere).   I apologize in advance for any unintended misuse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, REDBIRD51 said:

I agree; I would put my channel on hold just to check out the accolades.  I just became a member here and wanted to post something somewhere so I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting here.  Although just a newbie member, I have watched TCM for years, mainly the only channel I tune in to.  I will have to say "31 Days of Oscar" and August, "Summer under the Stars" are my two favorite months of the year with October being my least favorite as I am not a horror film watcher.  I feel TCM shows films to please everyone and I am looking forward to reading comments and maybe even making a few along the way.  While waiting for my member status to arrive, I browsed through some of the forums and totally enjoyed the interview posted of Hugh Downs: what any interesting man he was and lead such a full life!  Also appreciated finding the post on what Stars are being honored in August, already excited to start watching them.  I have tried many times to get this member status but my technical knowledge is a bit behind the times and never seemed to figure out how to get in.  I hope to be able to figure out as I go along how to post properly in the forums (there seem to be a lot, so I may be reading an popping up anywhere).   I apologize in advance for any unintended misuse.

Welcome, REDBIRD51!  I love the August Summer Under The Stars, too! It gives us a chance to see an entire day's worth of films from some folks who normally wouldn't get to be Star Of The Month, like a lot of character actors and actresses or international stars.

There really is something for every film fan within these forums. One can get lost for days here!  My technical knowledge is pretty 2010's, and in addition, I have a ten year old computer, so I can empathize with you! 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Welcome, REDBIRD51!  I love the August Summer Under The Stars, too! It gives us a chance to see an entire day's worth of films from some folks who normally wouldn't get to be Star Of The Month, like a lot of character actors and actresses or international stars.

There really is something for every film fan within these forums. One can get lost for days here!  My technical knowledge is pretty 2010's, and in addition, I have a ten year old computer, so I can empathize with you! 😄

Thank you.  Glad to know I am not the only one hanging on to an outdated computer!