Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM freezes on Sling TV

I have had Sling TV for about three months, mainly because it is a low cost alternate to cable for watching regular cable broadcast TCM. (Not the TCM on Demand service)

However, TCM freezes on Sling. The movie will freeze for about 20 to 25 seconds. Then the screen goes blank for two to three seconds. Then the movie plays again. It picks up at where the movie is in the broadcast, NOT where it left off, so you lose the 25 or so seconds. The freeze happens anywhere from two to seven times an hour.

I have watched other channels on Sling, such as HDNet, Epix Drive-In, AMC and so on without the same difficulty. I also had my ISP check out my Internet connection and rule that out as the problem.

I'm about 99% certain that it's not me. I recorded "That's Entertainment" to the Sling Cloud. That movie also froze. My streaming box wasn't on at the time, so I know that the broadcast stream wasn't going through my box or Internet connection.

I have called Sling multiple times, but they have not yet fixed it, and they won't give an estimate of when it will be fixed.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone else using Sling to watch TCM experienced this problem?

2. If you are not using Sling to stream TCM, what service are you using? And do you experience the freeze there as well?

I get TCM from DirecTV,  but because I  do I can also get it from Watch TCM which is a streaming service I can get through Roku. I never have a problem with the satellite, but every  time I try and watch a movie on streaming it pauses or has to reload. The term for that is "buffering".  I never have a buffering issue on other streaming channels.  I know it can happen if you're using a very slow internet speed, but I'm not. In fact, I recently upgraded to a very high speed and assumed that would solve the TCM problem, but it didn't. 

I know this isn't going to help you, but it's obvious the problem likely lies at TCM.  You're not the only one having problems with TCM on Sling.  I've heard that complain from a number of people.

I have Sling over Spectrum. Occasionally it will buffer but its not a constant problem. I'm very happy with  Sling.  I have noticed also, so keep it in mind that occasionally if there are a lot of devices connected to your wifi that, say when my wife scrolls on her phone it will effect Sling and immediately cause it to buffer. I'm not a band width expert but I suspect scrolling uses a lot of bandwidth.

Didn't a bill pass a while ago that basically allowed Cable companies to screw around with services like Sling, giving them lower priority or some such thing?

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Didn't a bill pass a while ago that basically allowed Cable companies to screw around with services like Sling, giving them lower priority or some such thing?

I've not heard of any such legislation.  Sounds more like something put out there by services like SLING  to to cover up their lack of continuity.  ;) 

But I really don't know much about this sort of thing outside of that the few I know who tried SLING gave it up for one reason or another.   Next chance I get to ask one of them I'll get back with their reason.

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I have Sling over Spectrum. Occasionally it will buffer but its not a constant problem. I'm very happy with  Sling.  I have noticed also, so keep it in mind that occasionally if there are a lot of devices connected to your wifi that, say when my wife scrolls on her phone it will effect Sling and immediately cause it to buffer. I'm not a band width expert but I suspect scrolling uses a lot of bandwidth.

That wouldn't be relevant for interference between multiple devices on a shared connection in your own home.  I would look at the Internet router, maybe there is a higher priority port for video streaming these days?  Or maybe one that is dedicated for gaming?  I would start there.  At least in theory you would want a port that would choke off or slow down the other connections in your home, in favor of the connection used for streaming.  The other users just surfing the net probably wouldn't notice any difference, unless the service to your house is too slow to accommodate.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2020 at 6:01 AM, cigarjoe said:

Fellow TCM fans, thanks for the replies!

I've been through everything that each of you suggested. I only have a computer and the streaming box on the network, and I turn off the computer when I try to watch TCM.

On my end, it's pretty annoying. Freezing 7-8 times an hour is not acceptable. Might have to start writing some letters to see if I can get attention paid to this.

The "bill" was actually an FCC rule change about "net neutrality". NN required ISP's to treat all websites equally. FCC, over much opposition repealed the rule. The quick explanation is that ISP's can now do whatever they want - block sites, charge more for certain sites, give sites more bandwidth than others. Various groups are planning to sue the FCC over the rule change.

TCM, part of Warner Media probably wouldn't feel the impact of this as it is a major player on the web. I doubt an ISP is going to try to block them or try to limit their bandwidth speeds.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:01 AM, cigarjoe said:

Spectrum, is that Spectrum Internet only, cable only or BOTH?