Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are You Into Multiple Viewings Of The Same Films?

Are you one of those viewers who sees a film once and thinks, "That's it. Done"?

Or, like me, do you have certain films that you will watch multiple times and love to savour? And do you have any films, in particular, that you may have seen so many times you have no idea how many it may be now. Or are you one of those who keeps count and knows, for example, that he's seen Casablanca 89 times?

One of my concerns when it comes time to pulling out one of my favourites to watch it again is the fear that I may have seen it too many times and some of the fun will be missing from excessive viewings. That's the reason why I try to avoid seeing the same film any more often than, say, every two or three years.

I had a friend who had a favourite childhood memory of a film (The Strawberry Blonde, with Jimmy Cagney), hadn't seen it since then and was afraid to watch it again for fear that it would not hold up. He was delighted when he finally did see it again on TCM and actually thought it better than he had remembered. Has anyone else felt that way about a particular favourite, an anxiety over seeing it again for fear that it will disappoint?

So, with all the movie buffs on these boards, what's your preference when it comes to movie viewing, once and it's over, or repeat viewings of certain films (and, if so, do you have any record breakers?)

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Or, like me, do you have certain films that you will watch multiple times and love to savour?

Yes, I am that way. Some films I have seen countless times, I will pull out a DVD of some of my favorites maybe once a year.

Some films I have seen the most times:

Babes In Toyland (1934)

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)

Wizard Of Oz (1939)

This is because I saw them on TV starting when I was a child and still occasionally watch them, so I am sure that it has been more times than I can count.

I saw Citizen Kane one time and was very impressed, I give it 10/10 rating but for some reason I have had no desire to watch it again.  

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

This is because I saw them on TV starting when I was a child and still occasionally watch them, so I am sure that it has been more times than I can count.

Yes, childhood nostalgia plays a huge role for me, as well, when it comes to the films that get repeat viewings. An inordinately large number of my favourite films, in fact, are some of those that I first saw as a kid.

I grew up with such films as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Ghost Breakers, Captain Blood and Mark of Zorro, among others, and they are all films I will view every couple of years.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I saw Citizen Kane one time and was very impressed, I give it 10/10 rating but for some reason I have had no desire to watch it again.  

That's true too with me. There are some films such as Citizen Kane or The Grapes of Wrath that I know are great but I have no feeling of sentimentality or warmth towards them therefore they are not on my repeat list. Unlike, say, a piece of cheese like Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, which I saw and enjoyed as a kid.

• Like 2

I tend to watch films over and over when they are on TV. I almost never watch DVDs of films I've already seen, and the ones I watch on TV I usually have some multitasking going on while they're airing. I will stop what I'm doing during my favorite parts of the film or parts which I maybe have missed in the past or don't remember.  If I turn the channel on them, I almost feel like I'm being a bad film fan! 😄

Foreign language films definitely benefit from multiple viewings for me. After watching on a few occasions, I am able to then just watch the picture and not have to rely on the subtitles to understand the plot.  For some reason, I can watch animated films very often without tiring of them at all.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I tend to watch films over and over when they are on TV. I almost never watch DVDs of films I've already seen, and the ones I watch on TV I usually have some multitasking going on while they're airing. 😄

We're a real contrast here, stagebrush. I rarely watch films on TV. My movie watching is almost exclusively what I have in my DVD collection, making me my own movie programmer. Last night I put on Zulu after a friend brought the film up in discussion.

• Like 2

I'll only say, "Yes, I'm into multiple viewings of the same films( or movies, if you will  ;) ) ."   But I won't bother listing them.  As I do have a considerable library of DVDs and old VHS tapes, it's safe to assume I wouldn't BOTHER amassing all those movie copies if I DIDN'T have any interest in viewing them multiple times, don't you think?

Or....

DON'T you?  ;)

Sepiatone

Yes. 

It's like listening to music  you love, you don't just hear it once and go "done, I can cross that song (or concerto, or jazz piece or whatever it may be) off the list". No, if you love that particular piece of music, you probably will listen to it many times.

Same with movies. At least with the ones I love:  I don't just watch them for plot; once I've got that down, if the film "speaks" to me, I enjoy it for many other reasons. A film I like that I've seen many times is like an old friend.  Like, last week when they aired "The Big Sleep" on Noir Alley: I wouldn't have dreamed of skipping it, even though I own the DVD and have seen it many times. But it makes me feel good to watch it, there are so many things about it I like.

Many other movies are like this for me. That's why I own the movies I care about on DVD (and some even on videotape!)  because they matter to me, and I know I will watch them again.  And again.

• Like 5
On 1/11/2020 at 2:58 PM, misswonderly3 said:

A film I like that I've seen many times is like an old friend. 

Very much so, Miss W. I've often felt that a repeat viewing of some films is like visiting an old friend, and I suspect many others feel the same way. Truth be told, in some cases, those films can even turn out to be more reliable than certain old friends.

• Like 5

My Man Godfrey (1936), Bringing up Baby (1937), My Fair Lady (1964), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), and Doctor Dolittle (1967) are a few that I will rewatch constantly. They're comforting to me, I guess. 

• Like 1

If its something light like James Bond, Fred and Ginger, stupid action film etc... I can watch those over and over.

But, a film that's actually good that I end up emotionally invested in, I can only watch when I'm really in the mood for it. Some films, I might watch once a decade.

• Like 1

Some films I saw so often years go they are permanently embedded in my brain. For example, I saw The Adventures of Robin Hood for the first time in probably a dozen years a little while ago but it almost felt like like having just seen it the day before. I still knew most of the dialogue and musical cues as they played on screen. It was still fun to watch it again but it's almost as if I don't have to since I know the film so well. There are quite a few other films that fall into the same category of familiarity for me.

I don't keep count, per se,  but, you know, any of the films that TCM shows frequently, I've seen them who knows, dozens of times each. Otherwise, it's rare that I've seen a movie all the way through more than once.

I have nearly 200 of my favorite movies on DVD or Blu-ray.  I have them all listed with viewing dates on My Docs so I can keep track.  Enjoy watching them once every 3 to 5 years.  The longer I wait, the more I enjoy a movie.  And I'm amazed at what I've forgotten! 

I  have favorites that I can watch endless times, one being  SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.   Even though I have it on Blu-Ray if I'm channel-surfing and  TCM is in the middle of it,  I very likely will be hooked and end up watching  it to the end.  That said, even with my very favorites, there times when I will rest a title and not watch it for months or even a year. Then I revisit it like I'm seeing an old friend again and will appreciate it all the more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh, yes, I'm one to watch my favorite films over and over.  I remember the days, pre-VHS, when I'd scour the new TV Guide, highlighting movies to see once more, never dreaming the day would come when I would actual OWN them, to view whenever I wanted!  Lots of Davis and Crawford fill my oft-viewed list, especially Mildred Pierce, Flamingo Road, Queen Bee, All about Eve, Now, Voyager, Mr. Skeffington, Beyond the Forest, and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?  A few other "studio-era" faves would be Imitation of Life, A Star is Born (1954), Gilda, Double Indemnity, I Want to Live, and Suddenly, Last Summer.  Too many to list, really, and I'd never be able to estimate how many times I've seen them.  I also see "current" movies multiple times, while still in the theater.  These, for some reason, I do remember how many times I anted up at the box office for Far from Heaven (6),  Grindhouse (4), Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood (2), and most recently, Judy (3).

• Like 3

The main Herzog/ Kinski films (Nosferatu, Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo) I have seen quite a few times, though sometimes I just have them on in the background while working on something.

8 hours ago, darrylfxanax said:

I remember the days, pre-VHS, when I'd scour the new TV Guide, highlighting movies to see once more, never dreaming the day would come when I would actual OWN them, to view whenever I wanted!

I thought I was one only person who did that! 😄

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I thought I was one only person who did that! 😄

I used to count down to when TV GUIDE was released so I could plan for the next week's movie watching. And that's the advantage of having a DVD collection today. Now I don't have to stay up until 2am or 3am to finish watching a film (and go to school or work the next day with drooping blood shot eyes like a basset hound). I can just pull the same film out of my collection and watch it when I feel like it. A lot of sleep was lost in my teenage movie obsessing days.

• Like 2