Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

Are You Into Multiple Viewings Of The Same Films?

14 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

I have nearly 200 of my favorite movies on DVD or Blu-ray.  I have them all listed with viewing dates on My Docs so I can keep track.  Enjoy watching them once every 3 to 5 years.  The longer I wait, the more I enjoy a movie.  And I'm amazed at what I've forgotten! 

:o  ???

Do you also note the frequency and length of each bathroom break and "snack run"?    ;)  And you know......

Depending on what you're smoking and drinking,  you could turn a two hour movie into a three hour or longer experience!  :D   Then there's another thread to deal with.  ;) 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Such as . . .

What do you think teenage boys obsess about?  ;)

22 minutes ago, Fedya said:

What do you think teenage boys obsess about?  ;)

The same thing dirty old men do?

• Haha 1

I’ve seen The Long Long Trailer at least 100 times. I can recite it. It’s still funny to me each and every time. 

I watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it. 

If that means watching “Gidget” three times in the same week, than so be it. 

I don’t keep track of when I watch something. If I’m in the mood for a certain film, even if I just watched it, only that film will suffice. The heart wants what it wants. 

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’ve seen The Long Long Trailer at least 100 times. I can recite it. It’s still funny to me each and every time. 

Everyone goes on about Lucy, understandably so, as a comedienne. But what I really appreciate about a viewing of The Long Long Trailer was how very funny Desi could be.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Everyone goes on about Lucy, understandably so, as a comedienne. But what I really appreciate about a viewing of The Long Long Trailer was how very funny Desi could be.

Desi is hilarious. For someone who really didn’t have much acting experience, Desi has great comedic timing. Sometimes his facial expressions alone make the whole scene. I always liked the episodes of I love lucy where Ricky has a ridiculous scheme. 

• Like 2

Movies I tend to watch over and over are usually classic films: screwballs, noirs, epics, just about all genres.  However, some that are really bad I won’t watch a second time, or if the print is terrible, I can’t sit through it.

I develop a "connection" to certain movies which keeps me coming back, despite knowing how the movie turns out. 

A Good movie has the ability to make you emotionally attached to the characters involved in the story. 

Movies that do that for me include "The Graduate" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" 

On 1/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, GGGGerald said:

If its something light like James Bond, Fred and Ginger, stupid action film etc... I can watch those over and over.

But, a film that's actually good that I end up emotionally invested in, I can only watch when I'm really in the mood for it. Some films, I might watch once a decade.

Yeah, I'd say generally I'm of the same mind as you are here Gerald, except with perhaps one caveat.

And that caveat being that these "good" films of which you speak, or said another way, films with meatier narratives or films which attempt more profound commentaries about the human condition, IF their endings are more uplifting, I can watch endlessly and repeatedly. My two favorite films of all time, The Best Years of Our Lives and The Apartment being two good examples of this.

However, if their endings are downers, and even though they might be considered by many and even by myself as among the greatest films ever made, THIS would be when I'd share your aforementioned feelings about their frequency of being re-watched.

And, the first film that came to my mind in this second case being The Last Picture Show...a terrific movie, but one which watching maybe once a decade would be more than enough for me.

(...perhaps we can chalk this up to my resistance to be reminded of the truthfulness of that famous Thoreau line: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation...") ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I'd say generally I'm of the same mind as you are here Gerald, except with perhaps one caveat.

And that caveat being that these "good" films of which you speak, or said another way, films with meatier narratives or films which attempt more profound commentaries about the human condition, IF their endings are more uplifting, I can watch endlessly and repeatedly. My two favorite films of all time, The Best Years of Our Lives and The Apartment being two good examples of this.

So in your multiple viewings of Best Years of Our Lives did you ever figure out what happened to Rob, the Stephenson's son? Everybody but him appears in that wedding scene  but he hasn't been seen since at least an hour before in the film, maybe more.  In that last "uplifting" scene Al is undoubtedly thinking about where he can get the next snifter, Mom is wondering if she left that pot boiling in the kitchen while the daughter is smiling to herself that she's finally got Fred Derry hooked.

We've had this discussion before, Dargo, and I, at least, am still worried about the kid. Am I the only one? There's so sign of concern from his family. Nor do I see it from you.

DOES NO ONE CARE ABOUT ROB!?!

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Well, this lady always seemed to anyway...

tumblr_llc01orhp41qdx8gy.gif

(...albeit, we might be talkin' about a different "Rob" here)

• Like 1

Here are the 6 movies I've seen at least 20 times to date:

Evilspeak

The Secret of NIMH

Gas

Scavenger Hunt

Bullitt

In the Heat of the Night

On 1/14/2020 at 7:50 AM, TomJH said:

So in your multiple viewings of Best Years of Our Lives did you ever figure out what happened to Rob, the Stephenson's son? Everybody but him appears in that wedding scene  but he hasn't been seen since at least an hour before in the film, maybe more.  In that last "uplifting" scene Al is undoubtedly thinking about where he can get the next snifter, Mom is wondering if she left that pot boiling in the kitchen while the daughter is smiling to herself that she's finally got Fred Derry hooked.

We've had this discussion before, Dargo, and I, at least, am still worried about the kid. Am I the only one? There's so sign of concern from his family. Nor do I see it from you.

I always think the same thing about Birdie in All About Eve.  She unfortunately disappears in the second half.

Growing up in NYC in the 1960s, WOR Channel 9 had a program called "Million Dollar Movie" that would show the same film every night, changing, I believe on Thursdays.

They seemed to  show "King Kong" "Son Of Kong" and "Mighty Joe Young" over and over.  Watched those three films many times as a kid.

Some years later, my Mom took me to a revival showing of "Gone With The Wind", when the theme music began, I yelled "Million Dollar Movie" as they used the theme from "GWTW" as their opening over nighttime shots of NYC!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I always think the same thing about Birdie in All About Eve.  She unfortunately disappears in the second half.

Of course Birdie isn't shown in the second half.      Margo didn't wish to keep hearing "I told you so!!!".

I usually find myself working or answering emails when I watch movies, so I love watching them more than once because there are always little things I missed. Even when I'm paying full attention, I find that sometimes another viewing will bring out a new meaning in a line or scene. Movies can be so different to me depending on my mood.

I feel much the same as MISSWONDERLY3.  It is exactly like favorite music. Only with films you can get even more emotionally attached.

I also have amassed a HUGE collection of films  -- so many, in fact, that I created an Excel 'database' to be sure I don't purchase or copy one I already have!

A brief list of some that I will watch every time it's on TCM would be:

(most recently) Life With Father (1947);  In the Good Old Summertime (1949) as well as Shop Around the Corner (1940)  (Same story, somewhat of a remake, as is the updated version 'You've Got Mail' ...which I don't repeat watch).;  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)  ... well probably most any/all Judy Garland films will work (Wizard of Oz, The Clock, The Harvey Girls, Easter Parade  ...);  Gone With the Wind (1939);  Sergeant York (1941);  Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942);  Little Women (1949) with June Allyson;  National Velvet ...(and most any horse themed films);  Any of the Bowery Boys films;  Passing Parade shorts;  Our Gang shorts/films;  Andy Hardy movies.

I won't continue the long list,  but those above never disappoint and never will.

A movie I loved, but when viewing it years later was *not* as great as I remembered  - one sticks out:

Hitchcock's "The Birds".  In fact I was trying to introduce my kids to movies that were *really* scary as compared with the 'Freddie Kruger' junk  ... so at that time I went out, rented the video and sat them down.  Boy, did I feel silly when I discovered it was *not* as scary as I'd remembered.  And of course, my kids said, 'Sure, Mom ..."   ha ha ha - but it was so scary to me and my friend when we first saw it.  But actually many of Hitchcock's other films would make my 're-watch'  list.

Counting the number of times I've watched a film -- I never even considered doing that! And this coming from someone who has assigned film-id numbers to films to reference in my database (so, yes, I have 2 excel files for that purpose, plus backups).

Also, like Tom JH, there are some that are sentimental favorites due to nostalgia, so those I will watch any time - especially the holiday usual suspects ... A Christmas Carol (1938 version) for example; and yes - "It's a Wonderful Life".   Most dramas will evoke the same emotions and tears on queue - every time!  And Comedies - I could be part of a laugh track!

Then there are *many* films I have seen that I know for certain I will never watch again - mostly contemporary.

image.png

John Pressman - yes! Million Dollar Movie ...  Yes! GWTW theme music!  Great channel - I *loved* it and watched many movies many time ... yes, especially King Kong & Mighty Joe Young!  I think WPIX  (channel 11) had a movie show also that I frequently watched for a good movie as a kid.  I think my father told me that GWTW was the first movie that cost a million dollars to make, which is why they named that show 'Million Dollar Movie' - not sure if that is true, but my Dad understood it to be. And additional trivia, my Mom told me when she went to the theatre to see GWTW when it came out,  it was literally standing room only ... when they packed the seats, the aisles got filled as well.