Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CinemaInternational

When Was TV at Its Best?

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Maude is on FETV, but I don't think I could take Maude on a second go around. A little of Maude went

a long way. Maude tackled a lot of contemporary subjects just like All in the Family. That's why these

shows seem dated more than other "regular" sitcoms that just look dated for their clothing and

slang.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show was usually non-political, though it did have the occasional Nixon/

Watergate joke. I watch Green Acres on the weekends. It's still corny, but it's still kind of funny with

Oliver being the only normal person trying to live among the crazies of Hooterville. 

The British version of All in the Family, which I mentioned in an earlier post (called Till Death Us Do Part) was even more topical. Supposedly the creator/headwriterJohnny Speight would not turn in his scripts until the week of filming. And sometimes he would be rewriting scenes right up to the taping. He wanted the show to be as current and in the moment as possible. Of course, Lear wasn't that extreme with his productions.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The British version of All in the Family, which I mentioned in an earlier post (called Till Death Us Do Part) was even more topical. Supposedly the creator/headwriterJohnny Speight would not turn in his scripts until the week of filming. And sometimes he would be rewriting scenes right up to the taping. He wanted the show to be as current and in the moment as possible. Of course, Lear wasn't that extreme with his productions.

Now that's uber topical. Wonder if the cast got a little miffed with that approach. I've seen most of those live recreations

of All in the Family that run occasionally. They're fun to watch, and while they can recreate the scripts, they obviously

can't recreate the 1970s, forgive me, zeitgeist. 

Someone a few posts ago mentioned GREEN ACRES and HOOTERVILLE.

Ever wonder about the town being called that?  Was it because it sounded typically rural to the producers?.  or was it a "nudge and wink" reference to the mostly female cast of  PETTICOAT JUNCTION on which the town originated?  ;)   That WAS still back in the days when writers could  surreptitiously slip in covert sexist inferences. 

Sepiatone

The 1950's was truly special & to me THE HONEYMOONERS-CLASSIC 39) (1955-56) (CBS) & THE LOST EPISODES OF THE HONEYMOONERS (l952-57) (CBS)

Though tv movies/mini-series starting in the '70's are tremendous  ala LONESOME DOVE,etc

On 1/19/2020 at 3:14 PM, TopBilled said:

All in the Family spun off into Archie Bunker's Place which ran for four more seasons. So technically, Archie was on the air for 13 years.

I had seen a few episodes of Archie Bunker's Place, they were awful, most people like to pretend this spin off never existed. 

I am looking to be by influenced by knowledgeable people as for yourself see I was born long years after all the good tv/movies and had always know I had grown up in the wrong era and want to know all I can about a time before me, I like a challenge so please do tellme what the best is. 

Just now, Kay Banks said:

I am looking to be by influenced by knowledgeable people as for yourself see I was born long years after all the good tv/movies and had always know I had grown up in the wrong era and want to know all I can about a time before me, I like a challenge so please do tellme what the best is. 

I would recommend one start with T.V. shows that aired between 1955 - 1965.     

For movies;   just too many to name and it also depends what genres one favors.     To find good recommendation by genre I recommend the genre threads at this forum. 

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I had seen a few episodes of Archie Bunker's Place, they were awful, most people like to pretend this spin off never existed. 

The show had some memorable episodes. Edith's death was well played. There was also an episode where Mike & Gloria visited from California, during Thanksgiving. That was the last time the four original cast members appeared together as their respective characters.

Some of the stories involving Martin Balsam's character were nicely done.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The show had some memorable episodes. Edith's death was well played. There was also an episode where Mike & Gloria visited from California, during Thanksgiving. That was the last time the four original cast members appeared together as their respective characters.

Some of the stories involving Martin Balsam's character were nicely done.

My grandfather was the spitting image of Archie Bucker down to the looks and voice and the way he acted that was my grandfather that's a show always love to watch it but didn't like how they played out Archie Buckers place could never really get into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay Banks said:

Does anyone remember Patty Duke, my mom use to watch it as a kid and now shes introduced me to it such a great show.

Probably my earliest TV memory was THE PATTY DUKE SHOW when it was new!  It was a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

FWIW (and probably not for much), the following is just a short mention of just a few of my favorite television programs by each decade:

The 1950s: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, You Bet Your Life, Father Knows Best, Maverick, The Rifleman

The 1960s: The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Twilight Zone, Route 66, The Fugitive, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

The 1970s: The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Lou Grant (the spinoff which ran into the '80s), The Bob Newhart Show, M*A*S*H, Taxi, The Rockford Files

The 1980s: Cheers, Hill Street Blues, The Wonder Years, St. Elsewhere

The 1990s: Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier, Law & Order, Everybody Loves Raymond

The 2000s: The Big Bang Theory, Desperate Housewives, Two and a Half Men, Boston Legal

The 2010s: Modern Family, Blue Bloods, Mom

(...and no, I never got into The Sopranos, Breaking Bad or that whole Dungeons and Dragon, ahem, I mean that Game of Thrones one...I prefer to leave swordplay to guys like Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone...and when it comes to dragons, fire-breathing or not, they've never interested me all that much...nope, just about as little as superheroes do) 

• Like 2

Nice list Darg, but for me (and chronologically)

1950's-- I LOVE LUCY,  THE BURNS AND ALLEN SHOW,  YOU BET YOUR LIFE,  CANNONBALL(Canadian show)  DECEMBER BRIDE,   THE GALE STORM SHOW,  THE ANN SOUTHERN SHOW,  SKY KING,  FURY,  THE LONE RANGER,  THE ADVENTURES OF WILD BILL HICKOK-JIM BOWIE-WILLIAM TELL,  BAT MASTERSON, THE DINAH SHORE SHOW,  Not to mention time with having;  LUNCH WITH SOUPY, KUKLA, FRAN AND OLLIE.  CAPTAIN KANGAROO and THE PAUL WINCHELL SHOW (yep, spent a lot of time at the tube!)  We won't get into ALL those westerns....

1960's ;--  (with some held over from the '50's)  LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE ALVIN SHOW,   THE FLINTSTONES,  MY FAVORITE MARTIAN,  THE ADDAMS FAMILY,   THE OUTER LIMITS,  THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW,  THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES,  ONE STEP BEYOND,  THE OUTER LIMITS,  THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW,  THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS SHOW(their one season sitcom '65-'66) and their COMEDY HOUR of course.  MY THREE SONS,  and yeah, I liked---GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, and PETTICOAT JUNCTION.  COMBAT, THE FUGITIVE,  and IRONSIDE.  And THE MONKEES mentioned here out of order.  :wacko:

1070's(and too with '60's holdovers)-- THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW,  ALL IN THE FAMILY,  SANFORD AND SON,,  M*A*S*H,  BARNEY MILLER,  SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE,  WKRP,  TAXI.  

MORE than enough fornow, but anythingI missed here is already on DARG'S list.  And it's getting too late in the day for me to go on with this.  The more recent years may come shortly.

Sepiatone

Dargo :

I watch ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS reruns at least once a week, late at night.  That show often had surprising actor appearances.  And HITCHCOCK's appearances at the beginandend are wonderful.

Back in the '70s, there were YOU BET YOUR LIFE reruns; I remember seeing PHYLLIS DILLER appear before she was famous.  GROUCHO MARX is definitely in the top tier of cool.