Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pcavaco

aspect ratio & HD

I live in Ontario, CANADA...As of Saturday late afternoon the HD on TCM has changed as well as the aspect ration on everything the films & the pre film host introductions. When the hosts do the pre introductions the screen is much smaller 35"x18" I have a 55" screen. Huge black bars all the way around the screen. It was never like this before,  I watch the station every day, and I know what its supposed to look like. I am aware of the aspect ratios for the films and they are incorrect as well. Everything was perfect until Saturday afternoon. I have some stuff PVR'd prior to the change and you can totally see the change that was made. I have called my cable company and its not them...and I have checked all my settings and they are all correct. All my other channels are perfect as well. Has anyone else experienced this change has TCM changed there programming? If so this is terrible I am a cinephile and watch this channel on regular basis this is a horrible set up..it was perfect before.

The most simple explanation for bars all the way around like that is the result of a widescreen or 16:9 picture, formatted for 4:3, then reformatted for 16:9.

Since TCM HD originates as 16:9, it is likely someone else is taking that, formatting that for their TCM 4:3 SD channel, then also showing that on their HD channel - rather than the actual TCM HD feed.

An occasional movie I can understand - in terms of source material they can use.  A widescreen movie scanned in as widescreen, then formatted to fit onto SD (bars added on top and bottom), then played on HD (top and bottom bars carried over from SD and side bars added). 

But since you are even seeing the hosts this way, it sounds like a misconfigured provider system.

Are you with Rogers? Ignite or Digital PVR box? I've been having the same problem since around Jan 9th. Seems to be an SD signal converted to HD as the other responder mentioned. Like you, the stuff I have recorded on my PVR plays fine.

I've called Rogers a couple of times to complain but haven't gotten very far with them. Either they've done something wrong or whoever is sending them TCM stream has messed up. I'm curious if Bell has the same issues.