Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Florida teachers demand more money for schools

Florida teachers go to state capital to demand over $2 Billion per year for 10 years.  Florida ranks in bottom ten states for student spending.

This interests me because I believe it is a factor of states having too many retirees and similar who are not as supportive of schools as younger people with children or grandchildren in the state.  South Carolina is pushing hard to attract more and more retirees and I foresee a similar problem in the future.

Florida does not have an income tax and I am not sure how that factors in to school funding.  Maybe Lawrence could expand on this.

S.C. does have one plus right now.  Due to the change in requiring internet and mail order companies to collect sales taxes, we have $1.8 Billion in excess money this year.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/florida-teachers-protest/index.html

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Florida teachers go to state capital to demand over $2 Billion per year for 10 years.  Florida ranks in bottom ten states for student spending.

This interests me because I believe it is a factor of states having too many retirees and similar who are not as supportive of schools as younger people with children or grandchildren in the state.  South Carolina is pushing hard to attract more and more retirees and I foresee a similar problem in the future.

Florida does not have an income tax and I am not sure how that factors in to school funding.  Maybe Lawrence could expand on this.

S.C. does have one plus right now.  Due to the change in requiring internet and mail order companies to collect sales taxes, we have $1.8 Billion in excess money this year.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/florida-teachers-protest/index.html

Usually some of the funding comes from property tax.

Maybe these links may provide some answers.

A Research Synthesis / Unequal School Funding in the United States

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/may02/vol59/num08/Unequal-School-Funding-in-the-United-States.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_funding

Trifold-infograph.png

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Thanks.  That sort of mirrors what is going on in S.C. with public schools.  Their money comes from property taxes, special district taxes and the state legislature (mostly from sales taxes).

There is a huge push to create more Charter schools and one religious university actually "administers" several state wide.  There is also a push in the legislature to push for more vouchers.

I do wonder how the ratio of retirees to other residents affects support for funding public schools in different states.

Regardless, it appears that the Republicans have declared war on public education.  If it ever gets to the US Supreme Court, the Trump majority will rule vouchers, charter schools, etc. are legal.  Of course, this could be determined as a state issue though.

School funding in Florida comes largely through property taxes. There's usually a pretty heated debate about it among local government every couple of years when it comes time for reassessment. The retiree population is a factor, like The Cid suggests, but it's also heavily influenced by the right-wing media's continuous assault on the entire public education system. They've convinced many people, especially in the heavily-conservative rural counties, that public education is run by corrupt, incompetent communists who are shielded by the evil teacher's union, while also failing to instill a basic traditional education and instead introducing sex-ed and anti-religious indoctrination. It's a bunch of BS hysteria, yet it seems to have worked.

When I was a student here, there were 4 elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Now there are 9 elementary schools, two middles schools, two high schools, 5 private religious schools (K-6), 4 private religious schools (7-12), 1 non-religious private school, and a very large and ever-growing number of home-schooled kids. The population has increased, but so has the anti-public school sentiment. 

I no longer have any relatives or friends working in the education system, thankfully, but I do have some grand nieces and nephews that will be entering school in the years ahead. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I live in a city and pay property taxes to the city, county and school district.  The School District gets more than the city and county combined plus the special district sales tax.  The sales tax in S.C. is supposed to primarily fund education, K-PhD.  But some gets siphoned off into other projects.

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I should also mention the Florida Lottery provides funds to the school system.

The one in S.C. is supposed to as well, but the legislature has found ways to bleed off funds for other "education related" expenditures.