Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

April Schedule is Up! Jane Russell SOTM

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Not to segue the conversation into a discussion about women's bosoms, but typically women in the classic era aren't very buxom.  The only two that immediately come to mind (aside from Russell) are Janet Leigh and Bette Davis.  But I think Russell has them both beat... by a cup at least.

rQpz92t.jpg

dSPq6YW.jpg1BTeVmM.jpg

lDWNcp4.jpgrgXTZuA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, SansFin said:

Martha Hyer

Thanks.    I knew it wasn't Jones but I couldn't place it.    I have seen Hyer in many films but that pose threw me off.     I wonder why!

Here is Martha in a similar pose;

Image result for martha hyer

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks.    I knew it wasn't Jones but I couldn't place it.    I have seen Hyer in many films but that pose threw me off.     I wonder why!

I suspect that it was very cold on the day that photograph was taken.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Joe Gillis said:

Love the Noir Alley selections, particularly Beyond a Reasonable Doubt and Address Unknown.  Jane Russell is great choice for SOTM.  Her first time as SOTM?

Yes,  first time for Jane Russell as SOTM.

As for the noirs;    On 4/7 there is also 1948 Noir Spotlight with Cry of the City, He Walked by Night, and The Naked City.

Cry of the City has some of the best New York photography.    The title reflects this in spades.     Victor Mature and Peter Conte are first rate and Hope Emerson is something else.   Her character is  some scary dame!

He Walked by Night and The Naked City are procedural crime \ noir films;   While I'm not a huge fan of this type of storytelling,   these films have their moments.   Richard Basehart  gives another fine performance in He Walked by Night.     While I never really viewed him as an iconic noir actor  (maybe  bias from my childhood with Beyond the Bottom of the Sea?),  he was in many noirs and gave solid performances.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I believe they may have been the inspiration for utility company trucks being protected by traffic cones when parked.

They definitely stop traffic!

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Nice... highlighting.

This movie cover though makes me want to see the film. Lol. 

Believe me, the cover's better than the film. In that respect the Underwater cover did it's job.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, midwestan said:

I wonder if shots like these were the inspiration for the line in Bob Seger's song, "Night Moves".   Points all her own, sittin' way up high.  Way up firm and high...

Talk about deadly weapons! (Those bullet bras!) Does anyone know who the woman is in the third picture with that EXTREMELY pointed bra???

• Like 1
On 1/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for that info.    I'll have to let my mom know.      Maybe I'll even go to her house to watch a few for some mother \ son bonding.

I hope that she likes Pythonesque geysers of blood.  Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx is the very best IMO.  It you can only catch one, try that.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:51 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  first time for Jane Russell as SOTM.

As for the noirs;    On 4/7 there is also 1948 Noir Spotlight with Cry of the City, He Walked by Night, and The Naked City.

Cry of the City has some of the best New York photography.    The title reflects this in spades.     Victor Mature and Peter Conte are first rate and Hope Emerson is something else.   Her character is  some scary dame!

He Walked by Night and The Naked City are procedural crime \ noir films;   While I'm not a huge fan of this type of storytelling,   these films have their moments.   Richard Basehart  gives another fine performance in He Walked by Night.     While I never really viewed him as an iconic noir actor  (maybe  bias from my childhood with Beyond the Bottom of the Sea?),  he was in many noirs and gave solid performances.

Great month for noir because besides the Noir Alley selections and the 1948 Noir Spotlight, there are some noirs as part of the films of SOTM Jane Russell.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Hibi said:

Talk about deadly weapons! (Those bullet bras!) Does anyone know who the woman is in the third picture with that EXTREMELY pointed bra???

When I see photos like those posted above, I always think of my altered script from "A Christmas Story"...'You'll PUT your eye out kid!' 

On 1/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, Hibi said:

xLHSHBW.jpg

The bullet bras were indeed known for their pointedness but I strongly suspect that the pictures of Martha Hyer and Jean Seberg may owe their extreme sharpness to a gentle tweaking with Gimp or Photoshop.