Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Robert Headland

Merely Mary Ann

I am interested in viewing "Merely Mary Ann," a pre-code romantic comedy released by Fox Film Corp. in 1931, that starred Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell.  Henry King directed the film, a talkie version of what had been produced twice as silent films in 1916 and 1920.  Gaynor and Farrell were hot box office attractions who made twelve pictures together. 

"Merely Mary Ann" has a sentimental attachment.  My grandfather was a life-long movie projectionist, who worked at the Oriental Theatre in Rochester PA when it opened on Labor Day weekend in 1931.  "Merely Mary Ann" was the featured attraction during the grand opening.  I've not found the picture available on home video.  It would be a delight to see "Merely Mary Ann" scheduled on TCM.

7 hours ago, Robert Headland said:

I am interested in viewing "Merely Mary Ann," a pre-code romantic comedy released by Fox Film Corp. in 1931, that starred Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell.  Henry King directed the film, a talkie version of what had been produced twice as silent films in 1916 and 1920.  Gaynor and Farrell were hot box office attractions who made twelve pictures together. 

"Merely Mary Ann" has a sentimental attachment.  My grandfather was a life-long movie projectionist, who worked at the Oriental Theatre in Rochester PA when it opened on Labor Day weekend in 1931.  "Merely Mary Ann" was the featured attraction during the grand opening.  I've not found the picture available on home video.  It would be a delight to see "Merely Mary Ann" scheduled on TCM.

Odds are TCM can't get leasing rights to said film.       With the recent purchase of 20th Century Fox films by Disney and the  reshuffling  of Disney film library,  the lauching of Disney film specific networks or exclusive contracts,    it might be a while before Disney provides access to  their films to competitors  like TCM.     

Have you tried your local library system? I'm sometimes surprised by the old and classic films that I can borrow from the local library.