Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I really wish you would replace the young Australian woman who is one of your hosts who introduces films. She is rather bland and not terribly charismatic. I almost get the feeling she is on there for reasons of sex appeal rather than character and substance. I believe TCM can do better.

I disagree.  I think Alicia Malone is excellent and I enjoy watching her introductions. I also love her accent. Alicia is a classic film fan and that is apparent not only in her introductions, but outside of TCM with her books and podcast.

I think TCM has put together a very good group of hosts, with Ben Mankiewicz, Alicia Malone, Dave Karger, Eddie Muller, and Jacqueline Stewart. I just saw Stewart for the first time this past Sunday when I watched the series of Harold Lloyd films.  I thought she did a great job and I look forward to seeing more from her if Silent Sunday Nights is showing something interesting.  My husband and I are easing into the world of silent film by starting with the comedians as those films are the easiest to follow. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I disagree.  I think Alicia Malone is excellent and I enjoy watching her introductions. I also love her accent. Alicia is a classic film fan and that is apparent not only in her introductions, but outside of TCM with her books and podcast.

I think TCM has put together a very good group of hosts, with Ben Mankiewicz, Alicia Malone, Dave Karger, Eddie Muller, and Jacqueline Stewart. I just saw Stewart for the first time this past Sunday when I watched the series of Harold Lloyd films.  I thought she did a great job and I look forward to seeing more from her if Silent Sunday Nights is showing something interesting.  My husband and I are easing into the world of silent film by starting with the comedians as those films are the easiest to follow. 

I like all of the hosts, except Ben as members here probably know. 

Sometimes TCM shows BUSTER KEATON's THE GENERAL (1926) which is a delight and one of the best films made. 

The_general_movie_poster.jpg

27 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I like all of the hosts, except Ben as members here probably know. 

Sometimes TCM shows BUSTER KEATON's THE GENERAL (1926) which is a delight and one of the best films made. 

The_general_movie_poster.jpg

I have The General on my DVR, I haven't watched it yet.  I loved Steamboat Bill Jr and Sherlock Jr when I watched them. The fact that Buster Keaton really let a wall fall down over him in Steamboat Bill Jr. just floors me. 

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Watching silent shorts are a good way to ease into silent films, too. Buster Keaton’s One Week (1920) is my favorite Keaton film so far and it’s a short. If you’re interested in another silent comedian, check out Max Linder. A lot of his sub-10 minute shorts are available on YouTube. 

I’d also recommend The Big Parade (1925) with John Gilbert. The scale, the story, and the acting blew me away.

• Like 1

What's the story with so many people apparently not liking Alicia Malone?  I don't get it. As speedracer said, Alicia is clearly a knowledgeable classic movie fan, and she presents the films she introduces well, with style, enthusiasm, and expertise.

Some critics of the lady object to her Australian accent. This is odd;  she's easy to understand, and her accent is charming. Shirley it's not simply because she doesn't sound American ?

It does seem as though there's always more criticism of female hosts than male. I hope I'm just imaging that , that it's not the case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

What's the story with so many people apparently not liking Alicia Malone?  I don't get it. As speedracer said, Alicia is clearly a knowledgeable classic movie fan, and she presents the films she introduces well, with style, enthusiasm, and expertise.

Some critics of the lady object to her Australian accent. This is odd;  she's easy to understand, and her accent is charming. Shirley it's not simply because she doesn't sound American ?

It does seem as though there's always more criticism of female hosts than male. I hope I'm just imaging that , that it's not the case.

I agree.  I don't know why Alicia is so controversial.  She even seems more prolific, imo, than Dave Karger.  Nobody is questioning his knowledge or ability.  Alicia has written a couple books and has been working in the industry covering film (as a whole, not just classic) at various festivals and events for quite some time now. 

Her accent is fun and easy to understand. As I learned here on the boards, she also hosts the foreign film series.  I haven't yet seen how she fares there, but I'll assume she must have some realm of expertise there as well.  I like that Alicia has been given the opportunity by TCM to take over some of the female-centric spotlights and such.  It'd be neat if she and Jacqueline Stewart could pair up and do something together.  I also think a film series featuring Alicia and Eddie would be interesting. 

I understand that everyone misses RO and will inevitably compare the new hosts to him.  But, not to sound crass, RO is gone.  We have no choice but to move on--unless someone has an archive of old RO introductions on hand.  I don't, except for his introductions that are part of a few DVD releases that I have. I think TCM has found 4 really good hosts, plus Ben, to fill the void that RO left.  Is it the same? No.  But it's fine.  We still get to see commercial-free classic film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Class Acts -

Hollywood history is alive and well at Turner Classic Movies, whose five hosts — each a film expert extraordinaire — shine as brightly in the film firmament as the stars of the silver screen.

"The ghost of Greta Garbo may be hovering nearby in delight: all five hosts of Turner Classic Movies — dressed in glamorous 1940s-inspired duds — have gathered to commemorate the cable network's dedication to vintage flicks.

Location: The American Legion's swanky Hollywood outpost — officially, Post 43 — a private club popular with military vets and stars since 1929.

Look! There's Jacqueline Stewart — the first African American to join TCM's rotating team of film presenters — in a silver-sequined gown, recalling movie siren Lena Horne!

And isn't that Tinseltown scion Ben Mankiewicz (his grandfather Herman cowrote Citizen Kane with Orson Welles!) channeling a young Kirk Douglas?

Meanwhile, Dave Karger could be long-ago heartthrob John Gilbert. "Thanks!" Karger says. "Someone said I look like a gangster, but I prefer the more debonair Gilbert. But I don't drink as much as he did."

Cue the eerie draft. "I'm going for a Robert Mitchum–Cary Grant mix," says resident noir expert Eddie Muller (he admits Mitchum probably never donned a polka-dot ascot, though).

As for Alicia Malone, an Aussie prone to matching her vintage dresses with flowers in her red hair, she's aiming for "the sultriness of Lauren Bacall."

The fab five are relishing their TCM gigs, too, with a hat tip to legendary film historian Robert Osborne. .............

https://www.emmys.com/news/features/class-acts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alicia Malone is a Total Babe who knows her stuff! I forget the name of the woman who introduces the silent films but I like her too and I'd like to see her on more often.

No, I think Alicia Malone is great. She looks like she stepped off the set of a 1940s film is adorable as hell. She fits in just fine on the channel.

The host I'm least familiar with is Jacqueline Stewart as I find silent films hard to get into.

7 hours ago, BigCatfish said:

Alicia Malone is a Total Babe who knows her stuff! I forget the name of the woman who introduces the silent films but I like her too and I'd like to see her on more often.

I think Alicia is adorable, too. Jacqueline Stewart is a great addition, also. She's beautiful, chic and has such an approachable manner. I like the wrap arounds these two do on set together.

• Like 2

I think all the TCM hosts are great. Alicia is the real deal and if you read her books or listen to her Podcasts I think anyone would agree. Robert will always be missed and will never be replaced but I think the team in place right now is terrific. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I didn't know where else this should go, so I'll just post it here!

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/tcm-shudder-prove-need-movie-hosts-1202227710/

TCM and Shudder Prove the Need for Pre-Movie Hosts in Peak TV

".........As many of the hosts, past and present, and executives of TCM and Shudder will attest to, a host becomes a familiar face for an audience to gravitate towards in what is a communal experience. Joe Bob Briggs, the host of Shudder’s “The Last Drive-In,” said the appeal of a horror host is giving audiences’ access to someone to be scared with, while TCM general manager Pola Changnon noted that hosts make watching films a more social experience.

“There’s something in our DNA that says you need to watch a movie with other people. It’s a social thing. If you watch a movie on your phone, on your laptop, by yourself and it’s a great movie what happens when it’s over? You feel extremely lonely,” says Briggs. It’s the equivalent of sitting with a good friend and watching a movie. “You want to feel connected, even if it’s just sitting in your living room watching,” Changnon told IndieWire.

The pre-movie host has been around in various forms since television started............

• 4 months later...

COMMENTARY

TCM Host Gets TV's Highest Honor As 'Simpsons' Guest Voice

"......And now, mild-mannered TCM host Ben Mankiewicz joins the ranks of Paul McCartney, Stephen Hawking, Rupert Murdoch, “Gilligan’s Island” star Bob Denver and scores of other bold-faced names who have agreed to lend their voices to “The Simpsons” over the hallowed show’s 31 seasons.

The voice of Mankiewicz is heard -- and his cartoon image seen (photo above) -- in this weekend’s 31st annual “Simpsons” Halloween special “Treehouse of Horror XXXI.”

In his brief appearance, Mankiewicz appears on a TV screen in the Simpsons’ living room (as Marge and Homer blissfully doze on the couch) to make a timely comment about the old movies on TCM........

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/356715/tcm-host-gets-tvs-highest-honor-as-simpsons-gue.html

:) 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Where's Dargo? 

Well actually MCOH, Groening DID once ask me to guest on The Simpsons, but after I saw the cartoon caricature they proposed of me for the episode, I pulled out of the deal.

(...I felt it just didn't quite capture my true magnificent essence, ya see)  ;) 

LOL

• Haha 3