Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry to hear this. He was great in the role. I noticed he was in a wheelchair at the 50th Anniversary event, and didn't look in good health. :(

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 9.37.38 PM.jpeg

I remember him as Tyne Daly's husband Harvey in Cagney & Lacey.

Great actor.

He will be missed!

His performances in "Cagney & Lacey" earned him Primetime Emmy nominations three consecutive years (1985-1987) in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. He won in 1986.

See the source image

• Like 1

Among other Dark Shadows characters played by John, he was Kendrick Young who appeared in the final episode of the series in April 1971.

This was during the 1841 Parallel Time story line which finally killed off the show.

Image result for john karlen as kendrick young

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jakeem said:

His performances in "Cagney & Lacey" earned him Primetime Emmy nominations three consecutive years (1985-1987) in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. He won in 1986.

See the source image

No small accomplishment, since the stories on C&L tended to revolve around the lead women. 

• Like 1

Alas,  I can't watch the show anymore because my cable company dropped Decades (though they started again from the beginning (Barnabas anyway) after just starting the Adam storyline.....so I'm not really missing anything.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Among other Dark Shadows characters played by John, he was Kendrick Young who appeared in the final episode of the series in April 1971.

This was during the 1841 Parallel Time story line which finally killed off the show.

Image result for john karlen as kendrick young

Was Kate Jackson still on the series then?

Image result for kate jackson dark shadows

Yes, her last appearance was in March 1971 during that story line but she wasn't in the final episode.

Incidentally, Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds were, making them the only actors to appear in both the first and final episodes of the series.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Yes, her last appearance was in March 1971 during that story line but she wasn't in the final episode.

Incidentally, Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds were, making them the only actors to appear in both the first and final episodes of the series.

Thanks! I understand she was a big deal at Ole Miss (my alma mater) when she was on the series. She had attended the school a few years before. She certainly went on to become a bigger deal, thanks to "The Rookies" and "Charlie's Angels."

Related image

26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

That was the Quentin storyline, right? Why would that have killed off the show?

The primary Quentin story line was in 1897.

David Selby appears as an earlier Quentin in the 1840 story line but he's not around for much of 1841 Parallel Time.  I think fans disliked this story line with all new characters.

Jonathan Frid played Bramwell Collins, who was not a vampire.  Lara Parker was Catherine Harridge, not a witch, but Bramwell's lover.

• Like 1

OK. Thanks. I couldn't remember. I know the Quentin one was very popular. I know the final months of the show sucked. It was so confusing and stupid. How could Quentin be young in 1841 when he was young in 1897??? LOL

I started skipping the show towards the end. I do remember watching the last episode.

Well, if you really want to know, the 1897 Quentin was the great nephew of the 1840 Quentin.   

I saw the last episode too.  I read that they learned about the cancellation only a few weeks prior and had to scramble to write some kind  of wrap-up ending.  Kind of unsatisfying.

• Like 1

LOL! So there were 2 Quentins???? :D Yeah, the ending was unsatisfying and felt rushed. I remember thinking that at the time. So this is it? Huh? 

John was full of **** and vinegar. Always joking. Always laughing. He took me on a tour of his Brooklyn digs during one of the Dark Shadows fests.  The water fountain. He stepped on a peddle to give me a drink of water and as soon as I bent down to take a drink, he took his foot off the peddle. This went on for some time. He was a real pain in the ****.  One night riding up in the elevator, he went on about a story where he had a job as an elevator operator. My sister was enthralled and John said, "Look, she believes me!" 

I illustrated some fan magazines and would stand in the autograph line to have John sign my drawings. He yelled at me and said he would sign anything at anytime. But I felt that I should wait in line with everybody else.  

Some friends and I took him to the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery where they filmed the movie.  We found the tomb that was supposed to be the Collins tomb where Willie was in search of the Collins' jewels. Well, I tried to get John to toss a bottle at the crypt like he did in the movie, but he wouldn't do it. The man had his principles. Then we took him to the ruins of the Spratt Mansion, which was mysteriously torched in 1969. No kidding, I have a brick from the Old House. 

Some of the stars went on to make a sort of radio recording on DVDs. I bought the first one and called John after listening to it. I said, "You sound just like Willie, even today." And John, ever the hambone that he was replied, "My dear, I AM Willie Loomis!"

I have many fond memories of meeting with John Karlen. He called me a hillbilly when I put ketchup on my eggs at breakfast, that being one of them.  But he was a stitch. His co workers adored him.  I will miss him, but he left us a legacy, many, many appearances to watch and enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
8 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Well, if you really want to know, the 1897 Quentin was the great nephew of the 1840 Quentin.   

I saw the last episode too.  I read that they learned about the cancellation only a few weeks prior and had to scramble to write some kind  of wrap-up ending.  Kind of unsatisfying.

Making the two movies with so many cast members meant that the regular series wasn't receiving enough attention. I'd think they could have recovered. The 1840 and 1897 storylines were great, and Sam Hall and Gordon Russell could no doubt have come up with others.

there was some dopey stuff like pansy faye staking barnabas in a cave because he strangulated carl Collins played by karlen then there was the time Nicholas raised the vampirized (by Angelique) Jennings brother by exhuming his casket and pulling out the stake.

like when Edward Collins is lamenting the staking of barnabas in the cave by pansy faye...

well sir...

if he was so sad why didn't he just pull out the stake? so here's barnabas still alive because pansy faye staked a doppelganger created by Angelique's witchcraft so then he and Julia decide he must reintroduce barnabas to his 1897 clan by saying he was abducted by his vampiric ancestor which was completely lame.

1897 was a terrific storyline.  I think one of the best.

1840 was good, particularly the beginning with the ghost of Daphne,  but for me at the time it got complicated. 

As for the Parallel Time plots, I don't get the purpose but for giving the roster of actors the opportunity to play new characters. 

And remember when they briefly went into the future, I believe 1995?!!!

• Like 1

it was that 1995 parallel time storyline that killed it if anything. that was a prelude to why the Collins family was so continually plagued by supernatural happenings. now the writers tell us that Angelique is really a lot older than Barnabas once being a 17th century woman named miranda duval lured into witchery by some bald-headed warlock named Judah Zachary. the writers than proceed to destroy their own series' continuity and just let anyone try to explain Angelique's brother Nicholas Blair's connection to anything relating to Judah Zachary.

maybe that's why the series' ended in parallel time by the writers having completely blown the main dimension. the series had really become quite convoluted long before 1995. Barnabas has finally found the reincarnation of Josette and he gets hijacked by the leviathans and when he returns to the present day the writers decide it's time for an evil barnabas again. today looking back at the whole mess I wonder why I continued to watch until the very last episode. I guess I wanted to see Morgan Collins get his and he was a parallel time guy.

:lol:

• Like 1

somebody wrote that a lot of the series' convolution could have been avoided if Barnabas had simply realized that Angelique was his one true love back in 1795!

:D

On 1/24/2020 at 9:09 AM, jakeem said:

Was Kate Jackson still on the series then?

Image result for kate jackson dark shadows

Yes Kate Jackson was on the show at that time.   The actress with John Karlen  is Nancy Barrett.  They did have good chemistry together.