Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coronavirus Epidemic

Sukhov

S.C. governor has closed barbershops and salons and authorized law enforcement to disperse groups of three or more if in their judgement, the grouping poses a threat to health.   Beaches are not closed however.

8 minutes ago, TheCid said:

S.C. governor has closed barbershops and salons and authorized law enforcement to disperse groups of three or more if in their judgement, the grouping poses a threat to health.   Beaches are not closed however.

Laura Kelly, Kansas' third female Democratic governor in 25 years, closed all the public schools a week ago for the rest of the school year. She was the first governor to do so.

The greater Kansas City area  will be in lockdown for 30 days.

And various counties in Northeast Kansas have closed restaurant dining rooms and meetings, gatherings of more than 10 people.

Banks have closed their lobbies-- drive-thru business only. 

And you know the situation is serious when in Kansas they're letting liquor stores do curbside sales.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

And you know the situation is serious when in Kansas they're letting liquor stores do curbside sales.

The governor of S.C. has OK'd curbside and take-out alcohol sales.  Restaurants have to sell it in sealed containers.  Not sure what sealed means.  Of course liquor stores and others only sell them in sealed containers.

Just now, TheCid said:

The governor of S.C. has OK'd curbside and take-out alcohol sales.  Restaurants have to sell it in sealed containers.  Not sure what sealed means.  Of course liquor stores and others only sell them in sealed containers.

We actually have some drive-thru liquor stores, but most are not equipped to do that.

Trump isn't taking this crisis seriously enough.   His nonchalance, ignorance, science denial, refusal to use the Defense Production Act, and daily contradictions are causing MORE confusion, panic...not less.   Now, apparently, he has muzzled--and reportedly is getting ready to fire--the ONLY remaining CREDIBLE public voice of his admin. (Dr. Fauci) still left on the job.

See   https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-given-unusual-leeway-fauci-121724586.html 

By the end of THIS WEEK, there will be well over 1,000+ deaths and likely well over 100,000+ cases in the USA.

I shudder to think of what the illness, death rate, and panic level will be a few MONTHS from now, let alone at the end of the year.  Esp. if drs/nurses begin falling ill at record rates and doctors are forced to start rationing ventilators and making arbitrary life/death decisions.  This is not a "Reality TV show"....it's REALITY....

I don't understand the general reluctance on the part of politicians to really "ramp up" and expand our national health care system.  Doing so provides a huge, immediate boost to the current distressed economy and will blunt/reduce the effect of this crisis.  And it would also create a long-term cushion, a permanent capacity level to help us more easily cope with future health challenges caused by the rise in the median age of Americans, chronic age-related illness, and morbid obesity which will far exceed the price of system expansion .    Preparation only makes common sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard from my niece today. She's a young mother of 3 children under 4 years. Her husband is a nurse at the local VA hospital, as well as at one of the local prisons. My niece has been very terrified by this whole thing, but she relies on Fox News and those who watch it (her in-laws are very Trumplican) for all of her info. She said that she felt the president assured everyone today during the "virtual townhall" on Fox that everything was okay, and things needed to get back to "normal". She believes everything Trump or Fox News says, and that "he's the president, so he should know more than anyone else what's going on." Everything's all fixed now! Go about your business!

It's pointless to try and convince these people of anything else. As has been said many times, they live in their own little bubble, and all seem to have forfeited any critical thinking skills that they may have had.

• Sad 4

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I heard from my niece today. She's a young mother of 3 children under 4 years. Her husband is a nurse at the local VA hospital, as well as at one of the local prisons. My niece has been very terrified by this whole thing, but she relies on Fox News and those who watch it (her in-laws are very Trumplican) for all of her info. She said that she felt the president assured everyone today during the "virtual townhall" on Fox that everything was okay, and things needed to get back to "normal". She believes everything Trump or Fox News says, and that "he's the president, so he should know more than anyone else what's going on." Everything's all fixed now! Go about your business!

It's pointless to try and convince these people of anything else. As has been said many times, they live in their own little bubble, and all seem to have forfeited any critical thinking skills that may have had.

What is sad here is the fact they can impact others.   E.g.  Those Christian fools that  follow Pastor Tony Spell and  his Life Tabernacle Church in Baton Rouge:  Hey if they only gave the illness to each other and their family members that would be A-OK by me,   but they are harming others and that isn't acceptable.

Selfish a-holes.       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What is sad here is the fact they can impact others.   E.g.  Those Christian fools that  follow Pastor Tony Spell and  his Life Tabernacle Church in Baton Rouge:  Hey if they only gave the illness to each other and their family members that would be A-OK by me,   but they are harming others and that isn't acceptable.

Selfish a-holes.       

James,

Give us a rundown on your area there in California. How serious is the situation really in the county or town that you live in?

Noted playwright Terrence McNally (1938-2020) has died, with the cause of death listed as COVID-19.

His works include the plays Love! Valour! Compassion!, and Master Class, and the musicals of Kiss of the Spider-Woman and Ragtime. He won a Tony for each of those. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

James,

Give us a rundown on your area there in California. How serious is the situation really in the county or town that you live in?

Well based on the overall state number and ratio of residences to confirmed cases CA is doing really, really well.   

BUT that could be due to a lack of testing.    From what I see,  most residences and open businesses are doing the right thing to prevent the spread.

The biggest potential risk is with the illegal immigrant community;   They can't collect unemployment and most live paycheck to paycheck.     What happens when they run out of funds and essentials?     

As you know,  I've been against such a large percentage of the CA population being illegal immigrants.    Crises like this point this out.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheCid said:

I watched part of it yesterday for a few minutes.  Don't listen if Trump is speaking since he lies and is ignorant.  Major thing I noticed was that Dr. Fauci had been expelled from the group.  How long before Trump tries to fire him?

As for the guy with the "fruit salad," I assume he is with Commissioned Corps of  US Public Health Service, which is one of the uniformed services.  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is another one.  Most of their uniforms are derivative of Navy uniforms.

Fauci has not been at all the campaign rallies. He missed some because he had other things to do. Of course anyone

who contradicts Donny is in trouble, so it's wouldn't be surprising if Fauci just disappeared from the pressers one

day. 

That sounds like one of his titles. I wasn't paying much attention, but it was a mouthful.

New York Starts New Experimental Drug Therapies to Treat COVID-19: Here’s What We Know

Published 2 hours ago Updated 2 hours ago

What to Know

• Due to the increase in numbers of COVID-19 cases, New York is set to launch a clinical trial for an experimental drug treatment Tuesday
  • The FDA cleared the way for New York to experiment with the malaria and lupus drug hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic Zithromax (generic name azithromycin) as a treatment for COVID-19
  • New York also plans to be the nation's first state to try to heal critically ill patients using the antibodies extracted from the plasma of individuals who have recovered from the virus

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/new-york-starts-new-experimental-drug-therapies-to-treat-covid-19-heres-what-we-know/2243756/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well based on the overall state number and ratio of residences to confirmed cases CA is doing really, really well.   

BUT that could be due to a lack of testing.    From what I see,  most residences and open businesses are doing the right thing to prevent the spread.

The biggest potential risk is with the illegal immigrant community;   They can't collect unemployment and most live paycheck to paycheck.     What happens when they run out of funds and essentials?     

As you know,  I've been against such a large percentage of the CA population being illegal immigrants.    Crises like this point this out.

Ok now you sound like Hamradio or  Donald Trump, the former hoping that we lived in our isolationist pre-global world, the latter hoping that the undocumented will self-deport.  Not happening.

So with that reality, the only logical and humane thing is to provide medical care for everybody, whatever their immigration status here.  Otherwise, undocumented people will continue to spread it if infected.  And with the ICE raids continuing, people will not seek out treatment if infected.

8 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Ok now you sound like Hamradio or  Donald Trump, the former hoping that we lived in our isolationist pre-global world, the latter hoping that the undocumented will self-deport.  Not happening.

So with that reality, the only logical and humane thing is to provide medical care for everybody, whatever their immigration status here.  Otherwise, undocumented people will continue to spread it if infected.  And with the ICE raids continuing, people will not seek out treatment if infected.

Again,  you misunderstand my perspective in your endless defense of all-thing related to illegal-immigrants;   The issue HERE IS people that exist OUTSIDE of the overall economic and cultural system.      CA was able to handle these millions of illegal immigrants during "normal" times but during a crisis,    that just isn't possible.

Yea,   I was hoping the remaining illegal immigrants would self-deport as part of comprehensive immigration reform.    I've had this POV for over 10 years.     I.e.. grant legal status to DACA and about 30% of other illegal immigrants based on a set of criteria.      Those that do NOT quality have 3 months to self-deport or face a harsh deportation after 3 months.

Sadly the Dems and GOP couldn't agree on reform that A President would sign (A President as in Bush,  Obama or Trump).

GRANTED:   With the existing reality we have to provide for these illegal immigrants.        I never said we shouldn't and ICE raids should be halted.   BUT the issue is the ways we have to provide for them since they are NOT entitled BY LAW to certain government benefits like unemployment  (especially those working under-the-table which in CA is about 5 million or more workers).    The  CA State government will soon run out of money to support the illegal immigrant communities since there is NO legit source of revenue for said funds.    Instead private citizens will have to make up the difference;   E.g.   forgiving rent to illegal immigrants that have NO income and NO unemployment benefits.

After the crisis is over Congress needs to address immigration reform before the next crisis hits us.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

u54wLMme_bigger.jpg

Pres Trump has repeatedly said he believes more ppl will die from economy being slowed because of social distancing to prevent coronavirus spread than from the virus itself. So far, this theory has not been backed by any experts or health officials but Trump firmly believes it.

1:55 PM · Mar 24, 2020·Twitter Web App

We all knew that it would come one day that all of our lives would be at risk because a minority of idiot Americans voted for a sociopath for president of the United States of America.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dr Fauci said much data still needs to be analyzed before a decision can be made on lifting restrictions on business activity in the US.

Cites need to know the depth of Coronavirus penetration in areas in which there is no obvious outbreak now.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Cites need to know the depth of Coronavirus penetration in areas in which there is no obvious outbreak now.

Considering how haphazard and spotty testing has been in most areas, and the fact that asymptomatic  people can spread the virus, who in their right mind would think we can 'name a date' to feel safe, or even normal again? It's much too late to think this is a NY/Wash/CA thing.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

a minority of idiot Americans voted for a sociopath for president

I didn't know I was an idiot. No one had ever told me before. I guess I come from a family of idiots. I usually try to keep quiet about politics, but a line must be drawn.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

u54wLMme_bigger.jpg

President Trump starts press briefing by saying easing the coronavirus guidelines by April 21 would be a "great thing for our country" and that officials are "working hard to make that a reality."

"Easter is our timeline," he said. "What a timeline that would be."

5:45 PM · Mar 24, 2020·Twitter Web App

uGzjPIR5_bigger.jpg

Trump says he would love to see “packed churches all over our country" on Easter Sunday. "Easter’s a very special day for me.”

3:42 PM · Mar 24, 2020·TweetDeck

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

knoller_bigger.jpg

Dr Fauci said much data still needs to be analyzed before a decision can be made on lifting restrictions on business activity in the US. Cites need to know the depth of Coronavirus penetration in areas in which there is no obvious outbreak now.

6:32 PM · Mar 24, 2020·Twitter Web App

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

AAZ-bGPf_bigger.jpg

The Surgeon General just told Americans *checks notes* YESTERDAY that this week is when things will get bad.

5:51 PM · Mar 24, 2020·Twitter Web App

Our stable genius is now the idiot boy doctor in the Oval Office.

In the middle of a national pandemic, it's good to know that most of the mayors and governors in the United States are taking their advice from the medical professionals in the CDC and their own doctors in their local and State Health departments. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

qWDd71_8_bigger.jpg

Governor Andrew Cuomo calls out the lack of federal response: "FEMA says ‘we’re sending 400 ventilators...What am I going to do with 400 ventilators when I need 30,000? You pick the 26,000 who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators.” 

See the source image

3:10 PM · Mar 24, 2020·Twitter Web App

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

zCnxSmsq_bigger.jpg

The president said governors can't simply tell him they want assistance and expect the administration to comply in the blink of an eye, saying "it's a two-way street, they have to treat us well also."

4:14 PM · Mar 24, 2020·Sprout Social

Now our Governors know how the officials of Puerto Rico felt.

• Sad 1