Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coronavirus Epidemic

Some of you know, I was in the hospital this past Dec-Feb with an "unknown" severe flu like condition. They tested me for a zillion different things, but you could see they were concerned about identifying a "mysterious flu coming from China". (finally successfully diagnosed/treated -not corona)

I also had heard about the mystery virus but was unconcerned because I hadn't traveled overseas. So Drs and somewhat informed citizens were aware of this possible pandemic MONTHS ago.

Ugh I had only been going outside freely a couple of weeks before this hit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Some of you know, I was in the hospital this past Dec-Feb with an "unknown" severe flu like condition. They tested me for a zillion different things, but you could see they were concerned about identifying a "mysterious flu coming from China". (finally successfully diagnosed/treated -not corona)

I also had heard about the mystery virus but was unconcerned because I hadn't traveled overseas. So Drs and somewhat informed citizens were aware of this possible pandemic MONTHS ago.

So glad that you are well now, Tiki.  I became ill at the end of February. I had 102 fever, headache, aches and pains, but no respiratory symptoms. I was sick (at home) for about ten days, with fever around of 101 most days. Blood tests showed that it was a virus, since white blood cells act differently with a virus than with a bacterial infection. They did all sorts of additional tests: scans, blood cultures, tests for Lyme disease, TB, HIV, Syphilis (! ), CMV, Epstein Barr, every type of flu and related diseases (20 varieties), etc. . All negative.  No growth from the cultures over time, either

I'm well now, no fever for three weeks. Sometimes you hear anecdotal stories of people who have corona without respiratory symptoms. I almost hope I've had it, recovered, and immune, but I think what I had was of of the many viruses that come and go and are never diagnosed. I have to be careful, as I'm on immunosuppressive drugs for arthritis, stopped using them for the duration of the pandemic, though.

I hope to get the antibody test for Covid-19, when it comes out. 

• Thanks 2
43 minutes ago, Swithin said:

So glad that you are well now, Tiki.  I became ill at the end of February. I had 102 fever, headache, aches and pains, but no respiratory symptoms. I was sick (at home) for about ten days, with fever around of 101 most days. Blood tests showed that it was a virus, since white blood cells act differently with a virus than with a bacterial infection. They did all sorts of additional tests: scans, blood cultures, tests for Lyme disease, TB, HIV, Syphilis (! ), CMV, Epstein Barr, every type of flu and related diseases (20 varieties), etc. . All negative.  No growth from the cultures over time, either

I'm well now, no fever for three weeks. Sometimes you hear anecdotal stories of people who have corona without respiratory symptoms. I almost hope I've had it, recovered, and immune, but I think what I had was of of the many viruses that come and go and are never diagnosed. I have to be careful, as I'm on immunosuppressive drugs for arthritis (stopped using them for the duration of the pandemic, though.

I hope to get the antibody test for Covid-19, when it comes out. 

Glad to hear you are better and hope it lasts.  I assume the immunosuppressive drugs you are taking are for rheumatoid arthritis?  Ask because I take several drugs for arthritis and none are immunosuppressive to my knowledge.

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

Which is just across the river of the NJ park where social distancing is not. Try to make sense of that!

You mean like the Orange Idiot and his team standing next to each other on the podium stage to give us the latest information/re-election rally?

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Tiki, 

Good to know you and Swithin are better.  Being in the hospital during this time for whatever condition, can be a death sentence.  Sound is the policy to isolate the suspected Coronavirus people from all others, so that the others that are hospitalized are not exposed to this new threat.

39 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Glad to hear you are better and hope it lasts.  I assume the immunosuppressive drugs you are taking are for rheumatoid arthritis?  Ask because I take several drugs for arthritis and none are immunosuppressive to my knowledge.

Yes, I've had RA since I was a teenager, so a lifetime on and off immunosuppressives, most recently on Enbrel. I've gone off it for a while, don't like to take NSAIDS, and won't take Tylenol, partly because it's really not very useful for RA, and also because I like to monitor my temperature, particularly in these times, and don't want Tylenol to interfere with that.

Interestingly, a drug which has been long used for RA is Plaquenil, which is the malaria drug being touted as potentially useful against Covid-19. I've never taken it, though it has been an option. Assuming it's available, my doctor could prescribe it for me for the arthritis, since that's an accepted use, and it's not an immunosuppressive.

• Thanks 1

Don't know why there is a run on antibacterial hand soaps, it's well known ordinary soap kills Corona.

Some info from wiki on COVID-19 makeup

SARS-CoV-2 is closely related to the original SARS-CoV.[ It is thought to have a zoonotic origin. Genetic analysis has revealed that the coronavirus genetically clusters with the genus Betacoronavirus, in subgenus Sarbecovirus lineage B together with two bat-derived strains. It is 96% identical at the whole genome level to other bat coronavirus samples (BatCov RaTG13).[2][308] In February 2020, Chinese researchers found that there is only one amino acid difference in certain parts of the genome sequences between the viruses from pangolins and those from humans, however, whole-genome comparison to date found at most 92% of genetic material shared between pangolin coronavirus and SARS-CoV-2, which is insufficient to prove pangolins to be the intermediate host.

Seems this virus is Sars V 2.0

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Update on the man whom died from taking chloroquine, he ingested a fish tank cleaner NOT the prescription drug suggested.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/24/blog-posting/drinking-chloroquine-fish-tank-cleaner-wont-stop-c/

Media was too quick on jumping to conclusions!  

Very old news.  Everybody here already knew this.  The problem is that lamebrain Trump promoted a drug about which he knew nothing.  The elderly couple got confused.  

Sure, the couple should have known better and called their doctor first.  But main point is Trump is to blame for even mentioning it.  He also should have said; don't try this at home-call your doctor first.

• Like 2

Since we're divulging medical histories, last Tuesday night I had my second heart attack in a month. I was also diagnosed with pneumonia. Thanks to the lockdowns and closures, I can't get in to see a GP for any follow-up, or the recommended cardiologist. So I just have to keep popping my pills and hope things hold out until everything else settles down.

😷💔

• Sad 6
4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Since we're divulging medical histories, last Tuesday night I had my second heart attack in a month. I was also diagnosed with pneumonia. Thanks to the lockdowns and closures, I can't get in to see a GP for any follow-up, or the recommended cardiologist. So I just have to keep popping my pills and hope things hold out until everything else settles down.

😷💔

Larry, stay calm and surround yourself with your animals and we'll all be thinking about you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

W9Bu9L87_bigger.jpg

Incredible sight. Emergency field hospital being built in Central Park. #coronavirus

7:19 AM · Mar 30, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Part of Central Park has been turned into a field Hospital.

Gabe Gutierrez is one of the Great Reporters working for Lester Holt's NBC Nightly News

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

So I just have to keep popping my pills and hope things hold out until everything else settles down.

Wishing you well, and hoping soon you'll get to see some doctors to help....Animated GIF

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

😷💔

So sorry to hear that, Lawrence. I assume you have an ER and/or urgent care near where you live?

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, Swithin said:

So sorry to hear that, Lawrence. I assume you have an ER and/or urgent care near where you live?

Yes, two large hospitals each with an ER. I visited one in February, and then the other last week. That's where I got my diagnosis and the med prescriptions. They gave me a 90 day supply, so I should be somewhat okay for a while.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

His campaign is happy to raise questions about some stolen masks instead of addressing a lack of needed supplies in U.S. cities.

T7N2BBDSJQI6VLM3EVHMTGMTXQ.jpg

As was noted above Trump once called on Obama to resign when there were 2 Ebola deaths ....

"So we have between 100 and 200,000 [deaths], and we altogether have done a very good job," Trump said.

t_51f2df0a4d634ec7ad87c3c23eba978d_name_trump8_scaled.jpg

It looks like trump has changed his mind about opening up the country at Easter time.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jakeem said:

AAZ-bGPf_bigger.jpg

CNN's @Acosta reads Trump his previous statements downplaying the coronavirus and asks what he would tell Americans upset over his handling of the crisis.

Trump in return attacks CNN, and says the question is "nasty" and "snarky."

6:08 PM · Mar 30, 2020·SnapStream TV Search

l_1e25c3677fb674bc4ba6ec553539c81e_bigge

A question about per capita testing causes the President to misstate the population of Seoul by around 30 million

ITXeOZFE?format=jpg&name=small

6:14 PM · Mar 30, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

R-jDSwQx_bigger.jpg

"I know South Korea better than anyone."

Then tries to play gotcha w/@Yamiche by asking her the population of Seoul.

He says it is 38 million people, which is actually about 4X what it is.

Clearly irked by her question, he leaves.

Ladies and gentlemen, your wartime president.

6:13 PM · Mar 30, 2020·TweetDeck

trump is starting to realize that press conferences with American journalists are not the same as riffing at his rallies with his Riff Raff Base.

The American journalists ask pertinent and profound questions which are necessary for Americans to better understand what the executive branch is doing to manage the national pandemic crisis.

Unfortunately for trump, there's no room for lies, racist taunts or general insults against his political adversaries.

The American people need straightforward answers in this crisis because their lives are on the line.

And unfortunately for America, trump is just not up to the task.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Missteps in rolling out the coronavirus testing infrastructure went unaddressed by leaders at the highest level of government, leaving the country blind to the virus's spread.

t_9541961486714948a6c812a744f56394_name_Thumbnail_v1.jpg

It didn't have to be this way.

• Sad 1