Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sukhov

Coronavirus Epidemic

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Sunday, April 5th 2020

9,618-- Coronavirus deaths in the United States

336,830-- Confirmed Coronavirus cases in the United States

I,am surprised  no reporters are telling Pence that 1600000 tests done with 337000 positives is a 20% score ! this is a huge percentage imo. How many positives cases are possible ? 20 million ? How many deaths?  On Saturday I could not believe my ears Trump was saying that he 'cherish the Constitution', everybody knows he has never read otherwise he would know the difference in executive and legislative power.He is so malicious he had to take a shot at  governor Pritzker(Illinois) saying 'he could not do the job',he is always trying to put down Andrew Cuomo by saying NY turned an offer to buy 'thousands & thousands of ventilators before' the amount yesterday was 16000.Something was published about it it was not the truth.Trump is so jealous of Cuomo-who behaves like a President but heTrump cannot jab him too much , Cuomo is liked and Cuomo deserves it. I'm fed up in hearing 1917 instead of 1918,can the idiots writing the base of his speech-probably 8 lines -rest is adlibs- they can write 1918 in bold letters using a sharpie.Yesterday he was repeating what he had said 10 minutes earlier like if it was 'fresh news'. How he acted with the AP & CNN reporters is really outrageous... this is a dictatorship. Can anybody do anything ? Pushing  drugs like an info-mercial is fishy & totally irresponsible, I better stop,I'am Canadian but what is happening in the USA since November 2016 is so awful ...at every level.If the number of deaths is less than 100000 Trump & Pence will tap each other on the back,and campaign on this amazing,fantastic,tremendous,incredible,extraordinary success for re-election.Sorry it is so  long-did not expect it to be but I had to write it I guess..

• Thanks 4

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/04/right-to-repair-and-ventilators-saving-covid-19-patients.html

Right to Repair and Ventilators: Saving COVID-19 Patients

By Jerri-Lynn Scofield, who has worked as a securities lawyer and a derivatives trader. She is currently writing a book about textile artisans.

The United States faces a dire shortage of ventilators for treat ing its COVID-19 patients.  The coronavirus crisis has elevated the importance of the right to repair, since keeping machines currently in service operating properly is imperative to saving as many lives as possible.

U.S. PIRG, a public interest group that sponsors a Right to Repair Campaign, among other activities, delivered a petition Friday to the ventilator manufacturers, including GE Healthcare, Phillips, Siemens, Drager, Hamilton, Medtronic, calling on them to release  immediately service manuals, service keys, schematics and service keys.

It has become commonplace – indeed, in many areas, it’s a standard operating procedure –   for many manufacturers to restrict access to repair documentation. Yet even though that’s the case surely manufacturers keep and maintain such information someplace. They must release it now. To do so would allow third-party medical repair companies or in-house medical engineers to try and fix things. when they break, as U.S. PIRG notes. It is far from certain that original equipment manufacturers have sufficient healthy personnel  at this time to ensure they can maintain their products so that all who need to use them can do so. Wide access to repair information is nothing less than a matter of life and death.

U.S. PIRG points out in a Friday press release:

Some manufacturers are making socially responsible changes to their repair policies as a result of the pandemic. For example, Medtronic has gone a step beyond releasing its manuals, providing access to certain part design files. However, so many companies have increased their repair restrictions in recent years, that the repair ecosystem is fragile in this time of crisis.

Additionally, according to the same source:

…iFixit, a leading online provider for service information for all kinds of products, is organizing ventilator service information so that technicians can quickly find the information they need.

“A single hospital might have ventilators made by four different manufacturers and it can be a headache trying to find the right information, so iFixit is trying to help make that easier,” said Kyle Wiens, IFixit.com CEO. “We want to make sure that a technician
doesn’t have to hunt for these manuals — every second counts right now.”

Trump is playing the press like a fiddle at the moment.  He's got everyone talking about the 'miracle' malaria drug instead of concentrating on what is needed right now - which he cannot deliver.

When 2 Americans died from Ebola Trump called upon Obama to resign.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/04/coronavirus-a-theory-of-incompetence.html

Coronavirus: A Theory of Incompetence

Posted on April 6, 2020 by Yves Smith

Leaders in the public and private sector in advanced economies, typically highly credentialed, have with very few exceptions shown abject incompetence in dealing with coronavirus as a pathogen and as a wrecker of economies. The US and UK have made particularly sorry showings, but they are not alone.

It’s become fashionable to blame the failure to have enough medical stockpiles and hospital beds and engage in aggressive enough testing and containment measures on capitalism. But as I will describe shortly, even though I am no fan of Anglosphere capitalism, I believe this focus misses the deeper roots of these failures.

After all the country lauded for its response, South Korea, is capitalist. Similarly, reader vlade points out that the Czech Republic has had only 2 coronavirus deaths per million versus 263 for Italy. Among other things, the Czech Republic closed its borders in mid-March and made masks mandatory. Newscasters and public officials wear them to underscore that no one is exempt.

Even though there are plenty of examples of capitalism gone toxic, such as hospitals and Big Pharma sticking doggedly to their price gouging ways or rampant production disruptions due to overly tightly-tuned supply chains, that isn’t an adequate explanation. Government dereliction of duty also abound. In 2006, California’s Governor Arnold Schwarznegger reacted to the avian flu by creating MASH on steroids. From the LA Times:

They were ready to roll whenever disaster struck California: three 200-bed mobile hospitals that could be deployed to the scene of a crisis on flatbed trucks and provide advanced medical care to the injured and sick within 72 hours.

Each hospital would be the size of a football field, with a surgery ward, intensive care unit and X-ray equipment. Medical response teams would also have access to a massive stockpile of emergency supplies: 50 million N95 respirators, 2,400 portable ventilators and kits to set up 21,000 additional patient beds wherever they were needed…

“In light of the pandemic flu risk, it is absolutely a critical investment,” he [Governor Schwarznegger] told a news conference. “I’m not willing to gamble with the people’s safety.”

They were dismantled in 2011 by Governor Jerry Brown as part of post-crisis belt tightening.

The US for decades has as a matter of policy tried to reduce the number of hospital beds, which among other things has led to the shuttering of hospitals, particularly in rural areas. Hero of the day, New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo pursued this agenda with vigor, as did his predecessor George Pataki.

And even though Trump has made bad decision after bad decision, from eliminating the CDC’s pandemic unit to denying the severity of the crisis and refusing to use government powers to turbo-charge state and local medical responses, people better qualified than he is have also performed disastrously. America’s failure to test early and enough can be laid squarely at the feet of the CDC. As New York Magazine pointed out on March 12:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/airbnb-has-been-rocked-covid-19-should-it-be-allowed-recover/

So far 2020 has not been a good year for Airbnb. The company has missed its chance for an initial public offering (IPO) and racked up millions in losses – including a $250m payout to landlords for reservations cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In a bid to save $800m, the company has suspended all its marketing activity for 2020 and given executives a 50% pay cut. After a spectacular rise, things now look uncertain for Airbnb and its global dominance over short-term rentals. Landlords are leaving it in droves following the “Airbnb Apocalypse” and are putting their houses back in the long-term rental market to salvage their losses.

The entire industry faces a devastating impact from the coronavirus pandemic due to knock-on effects of cancelled travel, events and conferences. Airbnb will eventually re-emerge, but it will no doubt be rattled by this experience and see a significant amount knocked off its market value.

Previous attempts to regulate Airbnb have proved ineffective due to the company’s deep pockets, lobbying power and willingness to fight regulations in courts across the world. The coronavirus has been the only force so far that has been capable of preventing the company’s continual expansion. While it is temporarily halted, it’s time we acknowledged that it is a threat to affordable housing and should be replaced by a democratically controlled alternative.

5 hours ago, nakano said:

I,am surprised  no reporters are telling Pence that 1600000 tests done with 337000 positives is a 20% score ! this is a huge percentage imo. How many positives cases are possible ? 20 million ? How many deaths?  On Saturday I could not believe my ears Trump was saying that he 'cherish the Constitution', everybody knows he has never read otherwise he would know the difference in executive and legislative power.He is so malicious he had to take a shot at  governor Pritzker(Illinois) saying 'he could not do the job',he is always trying to put down Andrew Cuomo by saying NY turned an offer to buy 'thousands & thousands of ventilators before' the amount yesterday was 16000.Something was published about it it was not the truth.Trump is so jealous of Cuomo-who behaves like a President but heTrump cannot jab him too much , Cuomo is liked and Cuomo deserves it. I'm fed up in hearing 1917 instead of 1918,can the idiots writing the base of his speech-probably 8 lines -rest is adlibs- they can write 1918 in bold letters using a sharpie.Yesterday he was repeating what he had said 10 minutes earlier like if it was 'fresh news'. How he acted with the AP & CNN reporters is really outrageous... this is a dictatorship. Can anybody do anything ? Pushing  drugs like an info-mercial is fishy & totally irresponsible, I better stop,I'am Canadian but what is happening in the USA since November 2016 is so awful ...at every level.If the number of deaths is less than 100000 Trump & Pence will tap each other on the back,and campaign on this amazing,fantastic,tremendous,incredible,extraordinary success for re-election.Sorry it is so  long-did not expect it to be but I had to write it I guess..

Got wires crossed with that movie. ;)

Apparently there was not supposed to be a Sunday briefing the Trump and the Trumpettes, but he heard Gov. Cumo gave a briefing, Biden was scheduled for a "podcast" or whatever and he could pre-empt 60 Minutes, so staff rushed together the Sunday Follies.

Would have been different if he had actually had something to report, but he didn't.  Just looking for another boost in his TV ratings.

New York will soon use parks for burial. :( 

Soon we'll start “temporary interment”. This likely will be done by using a NYC park for burials (yes you read that right). Trenches will be dug for 10 caskets in a line. It will be done in a dignified, orderly--and temporary--manner. But it will be tough for NYers to take. 9/
8:36 AM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter Web App
  • Thanks 1

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/05/us-governments-handling-coronavirus-crisis-has-led-severe-undercounting-deaths

US Government's Handling of Coronavirus Crisis Has Led to Severe Undercounting of Deaths, Public Health Officials Say

"Data erasure and the manufacture of mass confusion have already begun."

Decision-making by the U.S. government early on during the coronavirus outbreak has likely led to the country severely undercounting the number of deaths from the virus, officially known as COVID-19, according to public health experts.

As of Sunday, more than 328,000 people in the U.S. had confirmed cases of the coronavirus, and more than 9,000 have died of the respiratory disease. But as the Washington Post reported Sunday, many deaths from respiratory failure and other recorded causes in the first weeks that the virus was spreading across the country may actually have been related to COVID-19. 

https://thephilosophicalsalon.com/why-are-we-tired-all-the-time/

WHY ARE WE TIRED ALL THE TIME?

The coronavirus epidemic confronts us with two opposed figures that prevail in our daily lives: those who are overworked to exhaustion (medical stuff, caretakers…) and those who have nothing to do since they are forcibly or voluntarily confined to their homes. Belonging to the second category, I feel obliged to use this predicament to propose a short reflection on different ways in which we can be tired. I will ignore here the obvious paradox of the enforced inactivity itself making us tired, so let me begin with Byung-Chul Han who provided a systematic account of how and why we live in a “burnout society.” Here is a short resume of Byung-Chul Han’s masterpiece shamelessly taken from Wikipedia:

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

28a_ytJJ_bigger.jpg

Officially, just over 9,600 people have died from coronavirus-related health problems inside the United States. However, The New York Times has spoken to a number of experts who say that figure is a significant underestimate.

7:11 AM · Apr 6, 2020·SocialFlow

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

8z9FImcv_bigger.png

Squandered months: An @AP investigation shows Trump administration orders for N95 masks and ventilators to beef up national stockpile lagged as #COVID19 spread like wildfire through U.S.

6:00 PM · Apr 5, 2020·SocialFlow

70 Days

• Sad 1

Probably the best article I've seen regarding what really went on early this year:  

The U.S. was beset by denial and dysfunction as the coronavirus raged

....The failure has echoes of the period leading up to 9/11: Warnings were sounded, including at the highest levels of government, but the president was deaf to them until the enemy had already struck.

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

----it's long, so I won't paste it, but if you don't subscribe to WaPo,  you can read it here:    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-us-was-beset-by-denial-and-dysfunction-as-the-coronavirus-raged/ar-BB12akzb

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, shutoo said:

Probably the best article I've seen regarding what really went on early this year:  

The U.S. was beset by denial and dysfunction as the coronavirus raged

....The failure has echoes of the period leading up to 9/11: Warnings were sounded, including at the highest levels of government, but the president was deaf to them until the enemy had already struck.

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

----it's long, so I won't paste it, but if you don't subscribe to WaPo,  you can read it here:    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-us-was-beset-by-denial-and-dysfunction-as-the-coronavirus-raged/ar-BB12akzb

The government knew terrorist will strike again but who in the world thought the weapon of choice would be fully fueled airplanes?

Chew on this, George Bush had the Patriot Act drawn up BEFORE 9/11 and waited for the golden opportunity to sign it.  Too conveniently didn't have long to wait!! :angry:

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

DijesdNB_bigger.jpg

BBC World's Katty Kay: "The queen giving that remarkable 4-minute speech. She said more in 4 minutes than President Trump said in the course of his 2-hour press conference."

10:46 AM · Apr 6, 2020·SocialFlow

The queen understands how a head of state has to represent all the people in the country and bring a country together in times of crisis.

• Thanks 1

y6yTzWn6_bigger.png

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon warns of a coming deep recession with financial shocks similar to the 2008 Wall Street meltdown, after poor planning by the U.S. before the Covid-19 pandemic

10:15 AM · Apr 6, 2020·Hootsuite Inc.

JPMorgan head warns of the deep recession to follow covid-19 pandemic because a poor planning for the pandemic by the trump Administration.

NsKp4a4s_bigger.jpg

At least 173 crew members of the USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive for coronavirus, and Trump’s acting Secretary of the Navy, Thomas Modly, is still attacking the ship’s commander who blew the whistle on the outbreak.

11:00 AM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

The ship's Captain also tested positive and is currently in isolation.

• Sad 2

On 4/3/2020 at 6:18 AM, jakeem said:

UEg5exR4_bigger.png

.@RealDonaldTrump and many of his followers are snowflakes who melt when confronted with the truth. But speak the truth we must - and let the chips fall where they may:

-Ten million jobs lost in two weeks
-Retirement accounts ravaged
-Death toll mounting
-Food lines growing

7:15 AM · Apr 3, 2020·Twitter Web App

On 4/3/2020 at 6:22 AM, jakeem said:

mZkHmLs6_bigger.jpeg

NEW: The Trump administration's decision to let states chart their own responses to the coronavirus crisis rather than impose a national strategy will cost thousands of lives, a dozen public health experts tell

7:17 AM · Apr 3, 2020·Twitter Web App

16 minutes ago, jakeem said:

fnzYzoyP_bigger.jpg

Sadly, the U.S. has passed the 10,000 deaths mark — 10,335, per Johns Hopkins.

1:43 PM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter Web App

70 Days

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

The government knew terrorist will strike again but who in the world thought the weapon of choice would be fully fueled airplanes?

Chew on this, George Bush had the Patriot Act drawn up BEFORE 9/11 and waited for the golden opportunity to sign it.  Too conveniently didn't have long to wait!! :angry:

The Bush Administration was WARNED by the intelligence agencies, the strange fact of students in flight schools, that did not care to learn to land the plane.  And specifically, that the pentagon might be attacked aerially.  

Likewise, Trump was warned repeatedly about the brewing pandemic.  He REFUSED to listen, much less act.  He called it a HOAX, or at best, that it was nothing more serious than the flu, and did nothing other than to get State TV , Fox News, to parrot this line.  Some of his brain dead base still believe this.  

This is criminal behavior, as potentially Millions of Americans die!  Trump and Fox must be held accountable, Trump in November at the latest, Fox with lawsuits and even revoking of their license.  This is a disgrace which this administration and all its enablers continue to push!

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

I can agree with you that with regards  to 9\11,   it is hindsight second-guessing as it relates to if enough information was available for ANY administration to  take preventive actions.      

But that is NOT the case with this crisis.     As I pointed out in a prior post;    when my friend called me from China in mid January and said he going to get the first plane out of there due to the virus and we watched the Super Bowl together on February 2nd,    I knew this was a major,  deadly issue and that all incoming travel from foreign countries should be halted THEN.

• Thanks 1

Gov. McMaster of S.C. (Trump supporter and Republican) FINALLY issued a stay at home order.  He said people were paying attention to social distancing and recommendations.  People can leave home if for work, visiting family, recreation or obtaining necessary goods and services.  Lot of holes there, but an improvement.

How do you prove you are going to grocery store or pharmacy anyway?  Visiting family???

6 hours ago, Sukhov said:

New York will soon use parks for burial. :( 

Soon we'll start “temporary interment”. This likely will be done by using a NYC park for burials (yes you read that right). Trenches will be dug for 10 caskets in a line. It will be done in a dignified, orderly--and temporary--manner. But it will be tough for NYers to take. 9/
8:36 AM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter Web App

Have they taken a look at Grant's tomb?

My husband and I are recovering from COVID-19. We’re getting better.
But it’s taken more than two weeks to say that, and that was with the “mild” version, meaning no trouble breathing

This virus is absolutely brutal. “Mild” is not mild by any normal definition. Thread: 1/x...........

My husband got sick first. (We were working from home and social-distancing well before this.) It started with a cough the weekend of March 21. On Monday, March 23, his temperature went from 99.3 to 100.2 to 101.9 and then parked itself there. 4/x..........

:huh:

Early Data Shows African Americans Have Contracted and Died of Coronavirus at an Alarming Rate

No, the coronavirus is not an “equalizer.” Black people are being infected and dying at higher rates.

Here’s what Milwaukee is doing about it — and why governments need to start releasing data on the race of COVID-19 patients.

"........As of Friday morning, African Americans made up almost half of Milwaukee County’s 945 cases and 81% of its 27 deaths in a county whose population is 26% black. Milwaukee is one of the few places in the United States that is tracking the racial breakdown of people who have been infected by the novel coronavirus, offering a glimpse at the disproportionate destruction it is inflicting on black communities nationwide. .........

.....Illinois and North Carolina are two of the few areas publishing statistics on COVID-19 cases by race, and their data shows a disproportionate number of African Americans were infected........

..... Without demographic data, the members of Congress wrote, health officials and lawmakers won’t be able to address inequities in health outcomes and testing that may emerge: “We urge you not to delay collecting this vital information, and to take any additional necessary steps to ensure that all Americans have the access they need to COVID-19 testing and treatment.” ........

https://www.propublica.org/article/early-data-shows-african-americans-have-contracted-and-died-of-coronavirus-at-an-alarming-rate

:huh:

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, jakeem said:

fQrin-BI_bigger.jpg

Trump: "Tremendous stories" are coming out of this dark moment. He concludes by saying "stay inside and let's win this and let's get our country open as soon as we can." He says he thinks it'll be sooner than people think and things are going really well.

6:08 PM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter Web Client

34 minutes ago, jakeem said:

PJkWzk4u_bigger.jpg

“Things are going really well”: Trump April 6, the day the US death toll surpassed 10,000

6:10 PM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

When we reach 20,000, I wonder if trump will still say we're doing well?

• Sad 1