Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Farewell, My Lovely

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched the 1975 FAREWELL, MY LOVELY this weekend, i think it was maybe the 3rd or 4rth time i saw it. it is such a DELIGHTFULLY FECULENT FILM, one that you likely could not make today because I imagine most of the seedy locations have been bulldozed to make way for STARBUCKS and BANK OF AMERICAS.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the writer JIM THOMPSON has a small role (cameo really) as the ancient husband of CHARLOTTE RAMPLING'S character.

I agree that RAMPLING doesn't get as much screen time as she should.

I also liked the actor who played MOOSE MALLOY, kept wondering if he was gonna make MARLOWE KNEEL BEFORE ZOD.

SYLVIA MILES is great too, it's a small miracle she was nominated for an Oscar for this, but it's a terrific example of someone squeezing the life out of a small part.

I saw Jim Thompson's name in the end credits and wondered if it was the same Jim Thompson. Thanks for that info! Yeah, that was about my only complaint about the Mitchum version (Rampling's small role in the scheme of things).  Maybe she had more scenes and they were cut. The film was pretty long as it was. The Anne Shirley part wasn't really missed (at least by me).

38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

according to imdb, it was cut because of MITCHUM's age (which makes sense.)

So they actually filmed scenes. Thanks.

copied and pasted from the IMDB TRIVIA SECTION for FAREWELL, MY LOVE (1975)

In the novel, Phillip Marlowe was in his 30s. Robert Mitchum, who plays him in this film, was 57.
The character Ann Riordan was eliminated from the film due to Robert Mitchum's age.
The filming of Farewell, My Lovely (1975) was a trip down memory lane for Robert Mitchum. The movie brought him back to the derelict neighborhoods he knew decades prior when he was a poverty stricken teenager. One night, as Mitchum handed money to vagrants on the streets, his actions attracted the attention of an old beat cop on patrol. The officer took a good look at Bob and said, "So you're back".
This movie is set in 1941 but the Marlowe movie follow-up to this film, The Big Sleep (1978), was set in 1977, making Robert Mitchum's two Chandler pictures playing Phillip Marlowe discontinuous in their universes in time and thus separate entities.
When asked why Philip Marlowe (Robert Mitchum) cares about Moose Malloy (Jack O'Halloran), he says, "I don't know. Ever since I saw that movie, 'King Kong', I've been a sucker for any gorilla that falls in love with a girl." O'Halloran would appear in a remake of that film, King Kong (1975), the next year.
The dark pin-striped suit worn by Robert Mitchum in the film was the only one available from the wardrobe department, with no backup suit available if needed. Originally made for Victor Mature during the 1940s, Mitchum hated the outfit, and complained constantly during production about having to wear "Victor Mature's old farted-up suit."
This film spent several days shooting on location at the Harold Lloyd estate. When Mitchum goes to meet Rampling at her place, the two are actually relaxing in Harold Lloyd's opulent office/den. The estate was used in a number of films during that period, including Shampoo with Warren Beatty, the Schwarzenegger vehicle Commando and an episode of the TV series Columbo.
Third film version of Raymond Chandler's "Farewell, My Lovely" novel. The first was The Falcon Takes Over (1942) in 1942 and the second was Murder, My Sweet (1944) in 1944.
Robert Mitchum was widely considered too old and too paunchy to play Philip Marlowe.
Sylvester Stallone's last screen appearance prior to his breakout role in Rocky.
Phillip Marlowe drives a 1940 Buick Special.
The introduction has Marlowe stating it was the middle of July. It's actually the end of the story told first, and when the movie finishes it shows him read a newspaper dated July 18. This matches the date one day after Dimaggio stopped his 56-game hitting record, something Marlowe has been following the whole movie.
According to Robert Mitchum (I), producer Elliott Kastner originally wanted the role of Philip Marlowe to be played by Richard Burton (I), with whom Kastner worked many times, but Burton declined because he had too many other projects. However, director Dick Richards (I) has stated that no one but Mitchum was considered from the moment the film was a "go."
Towering Jack O'Halloran (I), who plays Moose Malloy, was a prizefighter before he turned to acting.
Raymond Chandler's novel "Farewell, My Lovely", on which this film is based, was published in 1940.
One of the hookers is reading a Captain Marvel comic published as Whiz Comics. This is a real cover for the Oct. 31, 1941 issue no. 23.
Phillip Marlowe (Robert Mitchum)'s fee was $25 a day plus expenses.
First of two Raymond Chandler Phillip Marlowe films made and produced by Lew Grade's ITC Productions. The second was The Big Sleep (1978).
Debut film as a full producer for Jerry Bruckheimer whose two previous producing credits had been as an associate producer.
Two of the characters had alliterated names: Moose Malloy and Velma Valento.
Robert Mitchum's interpretation and characterization of Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe detective character was much older and world-weary than the earlier cinematic incarnations of the Marlowe private eye.
The first time that Raymond Chandler's "Farewell, My Lovely" was filmed under its original book title though this title was used for the UK release of Murder, My Sweet (1944).
Jack O'Halloran receives an "introducing" credit.

Cameo 

Jim Thompson: The pulp crime fiction writer as Judge Baxter Wilson Grayle. This role was Thompson's only screen performance.

David Shire's great, wondrous score for Farewell My Lovely sets the mood for the entire film. Lonely nights in the big city personified. It's a little surprising, though, that the film only utilizes this main theme under the film's opening and closing titles.

Robert Mitchum is a great older Marlowe, tired with a touch of melancholy about his appearance, but still, in his own beat up way, Chandler's knight of the streets, a guy who will take two grand inside his breast pocket up some old hotel stairs to a widow and her little boy living in an apartment at the top of them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I'm unsure if I've seen The Falcon Takes Over. Has anyone seen it?

I have it on a DVD set and have seen it on TCM, but not for a long time.

It is fairly good.  About 60 minutes long and there is no Marlow, but rather The Falcon (George Sanders) character.  Ward Bond is Moose Malloy and Anne Riordan is a nosy reporter.   Shortening it to 60 minutes does leave out much of the book and other movies, but you can still tell it is based on FML.

ImDB gives it 6.4 and I have seen it rated 3/5, with which I agree.  But then I like The Falcon movies.  Wikipedia has a longer description of the movie.

Try it, you'll like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falcon_Takes_Over

Mike Mazurki's Moose in MURDER MY SWEET is pretty psychopathic compared to Jack O'Halloran who makes the big guy curiously sympathetic in the Mitchum film.

Raymond Chandler didn't like Dick Powell as Marlowe, but Powell's Marlowe (even if he isn't as physically imposing as some others who have played the role) captures the insolence of the private eye and he has a great dry throwaway delivery of sharp one liners. Powell is one of my favourite Marlowes though that takes nothing away from either Bogart or Mitchum, both of whom seem more natural fits in the role. But Powell, unlike the other two, had the monumental task of having to battle against his screen crooner persona making his performance in the 1944 film all that more impressive to me.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wonder if TCM has ever aired this? I'll keep my eye out for it.

If you are speaking of The Falcon Takes Over, that is where I first saw it.  They had a Falcon day.

I just pulled it out and watched it again.   Very entertaining, but not as good a crime or noir type movie as FML or MMS.

That's good to know. I've seen many of the Falcon films, but not sure if I've seen this one. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks. I don't expect it to be as good as the A film, but it will be fun to see the similarities.....

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

I hadn't realized she had been in The Damned. TCM was supposed to show it a year or so ago and it got pulled. I've never seen it. A lot of those I looked up trying to find the right film looked like European productions/stories.

It was quite controversial for its sexual content when it first came out, though the original X rating was later

changed to an R, which seems about right. By later standards it's not really an X rated flick. CBS ran it in the

early 1970s on its late night movie program and had to cut out all the "good" parts, but it got a lot of publicity

at the time. 

I'm surprised Marlowe was driving a 1940 car in 1941 as he always seems to be one case away from

going bankrupt. Of course DiMaggio's hitting streak isn't mentioned in the novel since it was published

the year before DiMaggio's streak. It does give some detail to the narration and is discussed between

Marlowe and his pal the newsdealer. I'm glad the latter only got beat up and not killed as so often happens

to innocent bystanders. There also isn't much of the intellectual side of Marlowe as there is in the novels.

No chess playing or references to highbrow literature, but that is a minor quibble that does nothing to

take away from the movie.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Why bother? (with all the good parts cut out). Yeah, I'm sure by today's standards it's not that shocking.

I think CBS did it for the shock value and the publicity it would garner. Just like Midnight Cowboy was

downgraded from X to R, and though The Damned was more explicit than Cowboy, it's hardly an X

film.

I've seen it many, many times through the years. First time was during it's theatrical run in 1975. I like this and the Dick Powell version, as they both bring different qualities to each movie.  I always read about Mitchum being ten to fifteen years to old play Marlowe. He may have been too old age-wise, but the part fit him like a glove. I guess we can wonder how perfect this movie would have been if Mitchum was 47 or 42 or thereabouts, versus the 57 years he was in 1975. It was--and still is--Mitchum's association with noir , his attitude, his aura, his persona,  that sold it.

• Like 1

I would have loved to see Burton tackle the part of Marlowe, just to see how it turned out. He too would

have been a bit too old to play Marlowe, though he was about ten years younger than Mitchum.