Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Farewell, My Lovely

6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I would have loved to see Burton tackle the part of Marlowe, just to see how it turned out. He too would

have been a bit too old to play Marlowe, though he was about ten years younger than Mitchum.

A bit too old and a bit too Welsh.

I dunno. I don’t mean to sell Burton short, but I don’t see it working. 

also, an effective Marlowe Performance would require underplaying it, and we all know that wasn’t exactly Dick’s specialty.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also, an effective Marlowe Performance would require underplaying it, and we all know that wasn’t exactly Dick’s specialty.

Yes, I can't see him in the role. Maybe he could alter his accent, but I still don't see him as a 40s private eye.

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don't think he would have many problems with an American accent and the age thing shouldn't be too

much of a problem, Burton being younger than Mitchum. He could take the Leamas character from

TSWCIFTC, tone it down and work it up to Marlowe. Even if it didn't work, I would like to see it.

Liz has the heft for Malloy, but she lacks the stature. She would be perfect for the Sylvia Miles part, 

just like Martha but with a wardrobe change. What a DUMP.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't think he would have many problems with an American accent and the age thing shouldn't be too

much of a problem, Burton being younger than Mitchum. He could take the Leamas character from

TSWCIFTC, tone it down and work it up to Marlowe. Even if it didn't work, I would like to see it.

Liz has the heft for Malloy, but she lacks the stature. She would be perfect for the Sylvia Miles part, 

just like Martha but with a wardrobe change. What a DUMP.

LOL! True.

I almost gagged when I heard that Burton had been considered for the role of Marlowe. Sorry, too much the Welshman. I'm glad Mitchum got the role. He's very credible as an older Marlowe.

The only thing stranger than casting Burton as Chandler's private eye would have been to cast Elliot Gould. Thank God that never hap . . . Yikes, I just remembered!

Okay, see what I mean?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I almost gagged when I heard that Burton had been considered for the role of Marlowe. Sorry, too much the Welshman. I'm glad Mitchum got the role. He's very credible as an older Marlowe.

The only thing stranger than casting Burton as Chandler's private eye would have been to cast Elliot Gould. Thank God that never hap . . . Yikes, I just remembered!

Okay, see what I mean?

LOL! I'd like to forget that one (Long Goodbye). I know some people liked it, but I didnt.

• Like 1

would have loved to see Burton tackle the part of Marlowe, just to see how it turned out. He too would

have been a bit too old to play Marlowe, though he was about ten years younger than Mitchum

Edited by cinemanut
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 11:16 AM, Hibi said:

Did anyone watch the Mitchum version Friday night? I hadn't seen it in many years and had forgotten a lot about it. Actually, I saw this version before I saw the Dick Powell version (Murder, My Sweet). It was a LOT different than the 40s version. Which one is more true to the novel? Has anyone read it? I haven't. It would seem to me that the Mitchum version is but maybe they are both different. The Anne Shirley character is totally eliminated in the later version. I'm assuming she was not in the book?  Also Claire Trevor's character has a lot more screen time than Charlotte Rampling does. The jade theft is more prominent in the earlier version but is dropped quickly in the later version and never really resolved. Also the Amfor (sp?) character is a different sex and profession entirely. That tack seemed to work much better in the later version so I'm assuming it was in the book, but due to censorship problems was changed for the movie back then? Would appreciate any comments from those that have read the novel and seen both versions!

I love the version with Robert Mitchum, he is just so cool as Phillip Marlowe (don't care if he was long in the tooth by this time, he was still very convincing as the weary and cynical Marlowe).

The Dick Powell version is quite watchable as well, but I am just a sucker for Mitchum all the way.