Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allhallowsday

MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS YOU LOVE

Some good selections there. 

I own MIKLOS ROZSA's soundtrack for BEN HUR on two different vinyl issues (boxed set and gatefold) plus the two disc CD issue.  I listen to that every spring.  It's wonderful. 

• Like 2

^ In BEN HUR (1959) it's the MGM ORCHESTRA.  The LONDON SYMPHONY did a good job, and it's ROZSA's own BEN HUR SUITE... but the MGM ORCHESTRA original is better.   There were at least a few releases with a "suite" composed by ROZSA to satisfy public demand for a more "accessible" record. 

How about the soundtrack from 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - no original music, some litigation regarding GYORGY LIGETI's compositions used without his permission (they settled)? 

I enjoy almost anything by Morricone, but Once Upon a Time in the West usually tops my list.

• Like 1

I like the opening theme song DRIFTING AND DREAMING sung by Valerie Carter in the 1975 Columbia movie WHITE LINE FEVER.  I thought the song should've been released as a single, but it does not appear to have been released at all.  It's been kindly uploaded to YouTube. 

^ Great song... did she write it?  VALERIE CARTER died in 2017.  What a loss. 

I bought a JENNIFER WARNES Greatest Hits CD to get this song from NORMA RAE

1 hour ago, Arsan404 said:

A LITTLE ROMANCE is beautiful.  All of that GEORGES DELERUE music you posted is lovely. 

Think I've got a 45' rpm single of IT GOES LIKE IT GOES around here somewhere, Hallows.

I don't think VALERIE CARTER wrote "Drifting and Dreaming".  It's on the opening credits who wrote it, but I forgot . . . 

^ "Drifting and Dreaming" reminded me of that JENNIFER WARNES recording.  I gather VALERIE CARTER was a songwriter.  It's real nice whoever wrote it. 

^ NINO ROTA composed scores for some of my favorite films, like LA DOLCE VITA. .   81/2 is so special and required that perfect circus fanfare.  I am a huge fan of FELLINI who had great taste and always knew what was perfect. 

• Like 1

AFRICA ADDIO was made by the same guys as MONDO CAINE... as you may notice I can't keep up with ya!  I listen to all of the YouTubes anybody links.  I do love my movie music. 

I like that POPOL VUH - right in my wheelhouse - but I don't know it. 

20 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

I enjoy listening to silent movies. :huh:

❤️

I like some of the new scores,  examples " The Rag Man" (1925) by Linda Martinez.  Talented musician who died too young. RIP

Linda-Martinez-B_W.jpg

There is an alternative new score to "Nosferatu"  (1922) which TCM haven't shown during the past 10+ years.

"Haxan" (1922)

71oGdROkbEL._SY445_.jpg

Gershwin fan,

I know some of the movies where music of POPUL VUH was used... they're like TANGERINE DREAM... really nice.  Listening now to your AGUIRRE link...

Allhallowsday, you are awesome. I saw the word 'soundtrack' and got really excited. In my circle there is really only one person that I know who is into soundtracks. I could go on and on on this topic.

💘 Here's a romantic one since Valentine's Day is around the corner. Does anyone like the love theme from The Lost Weekend by Miklos Rozsa?

^ I never realized MIKLOS ROZSA composed the music for THE LOST WEEKEND... which is a wonderful film. 

Please do go on and on... one at a time so anybody can talk about them! 

12 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Then we have to decide if there'll be a distinction between "soundtrack" and "score".  As in my way of thinking, movie musicals have a "soundtrack", and all the other movies have a "score".  ..

Sepiatone

I see your point... to an extent.  I think a soundtrack is not necessarily a score, but a score is a soundtrack.  

Now here's a masterfully compiled soundtrack pilfered from recordings in the can..."scores" from TV or other low rent films like TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE :