Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allhallowsday

MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS YOU LOVE

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I see your point... to an extent.  I think a soundtrack is not necessarily a score, but a score is a soundtrack.  

Now here's a masterfully compiled soundtrack pilfered from recordings in the can..."scores" from TV or other low rent films like TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE :

 

To me, a score is specifically composed for the film and a soundtrack is a pop song or such played in the film but not composed for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hamradio said:

There is an alternative new score to "Nosferatu"  (1922) which TCM haven't shown during the past 10+ years.

Do you mean the original 1922 Hans Erdmann score or the James Bernard (of Hammer fame) rescore?

The Bernard score has been shown relatively recently, within the last 3 or 4 years at least I believe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a soundtrack I've always loved, for the 1988 film HAIRSPRAY - JOHN WATERS uncovered lots of overlooked records. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Do you mean the original 1922 Hans Erdmann score or the James Bernard (of Hammer fame) rescore?

The Bernard score has been shown relatively recently, within the last 3 or 4 years at least I believe.

 

 

Yes it's like the combination of the 2.  

Noticed Youtube has a 3rd version but not interested.  The original organ only I don't like.

Do you have the Hans Erdmann's stalking and rising straight out of the coffin scene.  Those  listed on the Youtube selection are not the ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, we've had threads like this often, and they were usually titled something like;

"Favorite movie score?"  or "Favorite movie SCORES?"  and "Best Movie SCORES?" and such.  Or---

"Favorite movie score composer?"  

And too, not every movie's soundtrack was processed and offered for sale to the general public.  

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thing is, we've had threads like this often, and they were usually titled something like;

"Favorite movie score?"  or "Favorite movie SCORES?"  and "Best Movie SCORES?" and such.  Or---

"Favorite movie score composer?"  

And too, not every movie's soundtrack was processed and offered for sale to the general public.  

Sepiatone

I listen to a lot of soundtracks, but don't mean to be redundant,  There seems to be some interest in this thread.  Sure, lots of great movie soundtracks weren't available back in the day, and still aren't.  I still haven't found a satisfactory recording of any of CHARLIE CHAPLIN scores... or soundtracks.  If you want me to remove the thread, please advise how I may do that.  I have not yet discovered a way to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

To me, a score is specifically composed for the film and a soundtrack is a pop song or such played in the film but not composed for it.

I don't disagree, except I might specify "songs".  Most of the film music I have on CD cite themselves "soundtracks" whether a compilation or original scores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I listen to a lot of soundtracks, but don't mean to be redundant,  There seems to be some interest in this thread.  Sure, lots of great movie soundtracks weren't available back in the day, and still aren't.  I still haven't found a satisfactory recording of any of CHARLIE CHAPLIN scores... or soundtracks.  If you want me to remove the thread, please advise how I may do that.  I have not yet discovered a way to do that. 

Oh, don't do that! Not too long ago I posted a topic called 'Top 3 Favorite Film Composers', but I just talked about those three guys. There are so many others that I would love to talk about. I actually prefer this thread to some of the others because it doesn't have to deal only in "favorites" or "the best." It's all a matter of opinion anyway. This forum is for people like us who love movies to discuss movies and what we love about them. Period. I have family and friends that are into film, but not to the extent that I am, so I come here. 😊

I like this thread and I say keep it going!!!

Anyway...

They showed The Magnificent Seven last night. An incredible score by Elmer Bernstein! It makes me want to ride a horse really fast over rolling green pastures. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This always takes me to some hot steamy summer night:

 

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thing is, we've had threads like this often, and they were usually titled something like;

"Favorite movie score?"  or "Favorite movie SCORES?"  and "Best Movie SCORES?" and such.  Or---

"Favorite movie score composer?"  

And too, not every movie's soundtrack was processed and offered for sale to the general public.  

Sepiatone

I agree, there is a difference. I don't see why all of the above can't be in the same thread.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

...I agree, there is a difference. I don't see why all of the above can't be in the same thread.

^ I don't know what you are agreeing with.  What "difference" are you referring to? 

1 hour ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Oh, don't do that! Not too long ago I posted a topic called 'Top 3 Favorite Film Composers', but I just talked about those three guys. There are so many others that I would love to talk about. I actually prefer this thread to some of the others because it doesn't have to deal only in "favorites" or "the best." It's all a matter of opinion anyway. This forum is for people like us who love movies to discuss movies and what we love about them. Period. I have family and friends that are into film, but not to the extent that I am, so I come here. 😊

I like this thread and I say keep it going!!...

I can't tell whether there are complaints or not.  In any case, I do not know how to delete a thread, so it stays for now.  I was ridiculed by Det Jim McLeod for suggesting I would do that if such were requested (his swipe at me was deleted along with my response.)  Thanks, Rudy's Girl, I would be reluctant to delete ANYBODY's writing, but I do not want to be redundant or annoying.  Sepiatone seemed displeased that I'd started this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I can't tell whether there are complaints or not.  In any case, I do not know how to delete a thread, so it stays for now.  I was ridiculed by Det Jim McLeod for suggesting I would do that if such were requested (his swipe at me was deleted along with my response.)  Thanks, Rudy's Girl, I would be reluctant to delete ANYBODY's writing, but I do not want to be redundant or annoying.  Sepiatone seemed displeased that I'd started this thread. 

I haven't been a member for that long, but I have noticed there are some here that take movies way too seriously. I enjoy movies and have fun with them. When you start picking them apart with every minute detail then it's no longer entertaining or enjoyable. Sometimes this forum can get a little heated, 🙄 which is just silly. Just keeping doing what you're doing and have fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I haven't been a member for that long, but I have noticed there are some here that take movies way too seriously. I enjoy movies and have fun with them. When you start picking them apart with every minute detail then it's no longer entertaining or enjoyable. Sometimes this forum can get a little heated, 🙄 which is just silly. Just keeping doing what you're doing and have fun.

I'm new, too. and was warned privately by a friendly member of the "culture" here and the rush to judgment.  The only way they'll get rid of me is to have me banned.  But, not being a foul mouth and not easily offended, I might be around awhile.  There are lots of members here that are not just smart but kind.  Thanks for your kindness. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

  Sepiatone seemed displeased that I'd started this thread. 

Don't know how you reckoned that, I was just seeking clarification.   And many of the following posts proved that although we may like a lot of the same movies and/or movie "scores" or "soundtracks", it became clear it doesn't mean we all THINK alike( as the differing terms "Score" and "soundtrack", interchangeable in this thread, can mean two different things to different people).

One thing I always liked about online "message boards" and "forums"  as opposed to other forms of current "social media" is the welcoming and celebration of individuality.  Something I quickly noticed seemed frowned upon on FaceBook,  which is why I left it.   Plus, older "forumites" are able to recognize and go with the flow of any "playful banter" and tongue in cheek teasing of themselves or other forum members pops up.    But I do have to agree with RUDY'S GIRL,  that there are some here that do take the whole thing a bit too serious.  And that's OK.  There's no gun to anyone's head forcing them to read those threads and join any discussion.   I look at it this way......

I come in here to read what others have to say about a variety of topics.  I can accept anybody's difference of opinion about any movie I like or dislike as long as they don't denigrate my opinion in the process.  And I will try not to denigrate their opinions when expressing my disagreement.  If I do happen to, it may be that I was taken out of context, so PM me and we'll clear it up.

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Don't know how you reckoned that, I was just seeking clarification.   And many of the following posts proved that although we may like a lot of the same movies and/or movie "scores" or "soundtracks", it became clear it doesn't mean we all THINK alike( as the differing terms "Score" and "soundtrack", interchangeable in this thread, can mean two different things to different people).

One thing I always liked about online "message boards" and "forums"  as opposed to other forms of current "social media" is the welcoming and celebration of individuality.  Something I quickly noticed seemed frowned upon on FaceBook,  which is why I left it.   Plus, older "forumites" are able to recognize and go with the flow of any "playful banter" and tongue in cheek teasing of themselves or other forum members pops up.    But I do have to agree with RUDY'S GIRL,  that there are some here that do take the whole thing a bit too serious.  And that's OK.  There's no gun to anyone's head forcing them to read those threads and join any discussion.   I look at it this way......

I come in here to read what others have to say about a variety of topics.  I can accept anybody's difference of opinion about any movie I like or dislike as long as they don't denigrate my opinion in the process.  And I will try not to denigrate their opinions when expressing my disagreement.  If I do happen to, it may be that I was taken out of context, so PM me and we'll clear it up.

Sepiatone

Sorry, didn't understand anything you might have written regarding "soundtracks" versus "scores".  To me a soundtrack is a soundtrack, and that's all I meant, no differentiation intended between a "soundtrack" or a "score".  Any music in a movie is a soundtrack, whether an original score or original songs or a compilation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 11:45 AM, Sepiatone said:

Thing is, we've had threads like this often, and they were usually titled something like;

"Favorite movie score?"  or "Favorite movie SCORES?"  and "Best Movie SCORES?" and such.  Or---

"Favorite movie score composer?"  

And too, not every movie's soundtrack was processed and offered for sale to the general public.  

Sepiatone

Oh, and the above quote is relevant to what I wrote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...