Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allhallowsday

MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS YOU LOVE

^ Some nice stuff.

I like the use of CARL ORFF's "Gassenhauer" in BADLANDSORFF was a favorite of the Nazis; his reputation is still debated.

19 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I don't know what you are agreeing with.  What "difference" are you referring to? 

I can't tell whether there are complaints or not.  In any case, I do not know how to delete a thread, so it stays for now.  I was ridiculed by Det Jim McLeod for suggesting I would do that if such were requested (his swipe at me was deleted along with my response.)  Thanks, Rudy's Girl, I would be reluctant to delete ANYBODY's writing, but I do not want to be redundant or annoying.  Sepiatone seemed displeased that I'd started this thread. 

I think of a theme or score as something more orchestral or instrumental. Whereas I think of a soundtrack as a series of tunes that I might hear on the radio.

Practically every thread has its detractors. Then again if everyone agreed with everything, how boring would these boards be ? I personally would rather hear a person's honest opinion. Remember, the vast majority of members on this site never post. They just read and lurk around. So you can never know how most people feel.

If its about movies, I say go for it. And whatever happens, happens.

^ Agreed.  I don't think it's necessary to go for personal attacks, which is why the post I referred to was removed. 

I always loved the soundtrack from BARRY LYNDON.   The film won the Academy Award for Best Original Score (and then went out of print). 

the most beautiful theme music to ever grace a monster movie...

Soundtrack to the movie Buddha (1961). Quite grand and reminds me a bit of the music used in historical epics in Hollywood of the time.

22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Sorry, didn't understand anything you might have written regarding "soundtracks" versus "scores".  To me a soundtrack is a soundtrack, and that's all I meant, no differentiation intended between a "soundtrack" or a "score".  Any music in a movie is a soundtrack, whether an original score or original songs or a compilation. 

Actually, any SOUND in a movie is technically a "soundtrack"  

250px-35mm_film_audio_macro.jpg

Edge of a 35mm film print showing the soundtracks. The outermost strip (left of picture) contains the SDDS track as an image of a digital signal; the next contains the perforations used to drive the film through the projector, with the Dolby Digitaltrack (grey areas) with the Dolby Double-D logo, between them. The two tracks of the analog soundtrack on the next strip are bilateral variable-area, where amplitude is represented as a waveform. These are generally encoded using Dolby Stereomatrixing to simulate four tracks. Finally, to the far right, the timecode used to synchronize with a DTS soundtrack CD-ROM is visible.

Sepiatone

On 2/1/2020 at 12:02 AM, Allhallowsday said:

and not easily offended, I

Not even by Ben Mankiewicz's jokes?

• Haha 1

It just so happens that I watched Cool Hand Luke last night. The soundtrack isn't one I would buy, but it was just right for the movie.

I also watched the original Overboard. It may be a simple romantic comedy, but the music by Alan Silvestri is great in my opinion. It makes the movie bigger than it is, much like Back to the Future. The music is very beautiful and even tear-jerking at times with orchestra and then switches to a kind of bluegrass with banjos. And I love the end song by Randy Newman, enough that I bought it off of iTunes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rudy's Girl said:

It just so happens that I watched Cool Hand Luke last night. The soundtrack isn't one I would buy, but it was just right for the movie...

...And just right for my post. 

Jerry Goldsmith is my all-time favorite film composer. He deserved more credit than The Omen, which was creative and made the film really creepy, but I think his other works deserved an Oscar more than that one.

Capricorn One is just one of those.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Not even by Ben Mankiewicz's jokes?

I hope you can forgive me for my mistake. 

the unmistakeable pulse pounding talent of Jerry Goldsmith.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the unmistakeable pulse pounding talent of Jerry Goldsmith.

I saw this for the first time not too long ago. I like exciting movies like this. As I was watching, about midway through, I was like, "Hey, this soundtrack is pretty good," not realizing who did it.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 2:47 PM, Allhallowsday said:

^ Some nice stuff.

I like the use of CARL ORFF's "Gassenhauer" in BADLANDSORFF was a favorite of the Nazis; his reputation is still debated.

THANK you for reminding movie buffs that there WAS more to CARL ORFF than...

For a while it seemed they couldn't make a movie with a paranormal plot without it.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

I own a lot of soundtrack recordings & enjoy them both on LP & CD. Morrecone's Anthology is a must for any soundtrack fan.

51-m8F6BZML.jpg

Although the songs are incredibly corny, I love all of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS 

il_570xN.731914052_imqp.jpg

And similarly the clever lyrics of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (both Broadway & movie versions)

215px-Annie_Merman.jpg

But I think my most often played soundtrack is the vintage song compilation for PAPER MOON which sadly has never been released digitally, only LP

Paper_Moon_PAS1012.jpg

If we're counting ALL soundtracks, I was thrilled when licensing was cleared for Nina Paley's clever animated SITA SINGS THE BLUES that combines old Annette Henshaw singing American classics juxtaposed with new Bollywood style songs supporting the story-

sita-sings-the-blues.jpg?resize=400,360

On 2/1/2020 at 6:51 PM, Allhallowsday said:

^ Agreed.  I don't think it's necessary to go for personal attacks, which is why the post I referred to was removed. 

I always loved the soundtrack from BARRY LYNDON.   The film won the Academy Award for Best Original Score (and then went out of print). 

He's very ill now I read

0'Reil & LeKenieuemia for yrs now

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I own a lot of soundtrack recordings & enjoy them both on LP & CD. Morrecone's Anthology is a must for any soundtrack fan.

51-m8F6BZML.jpg

Although the songs are incredibly corny, I love all of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS 

il_570xN.731914052_imqp.jpg

And similarly the clever lyrics of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (both Broadway & movie versions)

215px-Annie_Merman.jpg

But I think my most often played soundtrack is the vintage song compilation for PAPER MOON which sadly has never been released digitally, only LP

Paper_Moon_PAS1012.jpg

If we're counting ALL soundtracks, I was thrilled when licensing was cleared for Nina Paley's clever animated SITA SINGS THE BLUES that combines old Annette Henshaw singing American classics juxtaposed with new Bollywood style songs supporting the story-

sita-sings-the-blues.jpg?resize=400,360

{ep[;e always think Richard }Pryor was up for an OracAr for it as Piano Man but wasn''t?

Diaina Ross thought she'd defeat Liza For Best Carararet  Oscar but lost in Cabaret