Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Please cancel the Oscars programming

As has been posted, the Oscars were not a very accurate assessment of the greatest movies, yet get treated that way by TCM. An entire month of movies, many of them constant repeats, somehow will teach viewers about the greatness of the Oscars. Meanwhile, the ratings for Oscar telecasts keeps dropping every year.

TCM stubbornly refuses to see what is obvious to many, most people have no interest in awards shows, especially those that cater to patting each other on the back simply to elevate something that they agree with. The Oscars have also become a way to promote movies that otherwise wouldn't have done well. Nobody at the Academy watches all the movies that get nominated, further proof that it has become a shell game to pick what they want promoted. People are even given Oscars for political reasons.

Please stop this and move on to showing better things that aren't played every month.

Signed, A Concerned Viewer

• Like 1

Beware of those predicating their positions upon “ratings”. :rolleyes:

How about February being Foreign Films Month…a month of discovering great cinema beyond Hollywood? :blink:

❤️

• Like 2

The thing is though that many of the films that are showing are wonderful films. But, yes many repeat too much. In the whole month of February, there are only 65 films I have not seen. But it is TCM's most watched month....

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The thing is though that many of the films that are showing are wonderful films. But, yes many repeat too much. In the whole month of February, there are only 65 films I have not seen. But it is TCM's most watched month....

I always thought December was TCM's most watched month, since people are home from work and school during the holiday season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I always thought December was TCM's most watched month, since people are home from work and school during the holiday season.

I thought it was Oscar month. With more recent films to act as hooks for younger audiences, plus many well known classics.

15 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I thought it was Oscar month. With more recent films to act as hooks for younger audiences, plus many well known classics.

They don't seem to be showing as many post-2000 films as they used to for Oscar month. They're mostly relying on all the MGM/UA Oscar pictures in the Turner library (1925 to 1986). Plus a few choice selections from Sony (Columbia), Paramount and Fox that highlight their favorite Oscar caliber directors, like Elia Kazan and Billy Wilder.

So I can see why people complain about how predictable it's become and how they're not really scheduling as many premieres in February as they could. For instance, there are several dozen films from Republic Pictures that had Oscar nominations. And there are many films from Universal that had Oscar nominations they are overlooking each year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

They don't seem to be showing as many post-2000 films as they used to for Oscar month. They're mostly relying on all the MGM/UA Oscar pictures in the Turner library (1925 to 1986). Plus a few choice selections from Sony (Columbia), Paramount and Fox that highlight their favorite Oscar caliber directors, like Elia Kazan, Billy Wilder and Stanley Kramer.

So I can see why people complain about how predictable it's become and how they're not really bringing in as many premieres in February as they could. For instance, there are several dozen films from Republic Pictures that had Oscar nominations. And there are many films from Universal that had Oscar nominations they are overlooking each year.

Plus many Paramount titles haven't shown in a long time. But Paramount is bringing The Firm and The Hours this year. I liked the former in spite of a confusing ending, but The Hours was too dry for me outside of the performances.

I totally agree! 

I often find the films that are nominated and awarded for Oscars are not always to my liking, and others would be, IMHO, much more worthy.  Same with critics choices. And let's face it - there is obviously Hollywood-politics involved, and I am afraid often those who are promoted are not often promoted necessarily because of their talent (if you get my drift).

I have not watched any of the Award shows in years -- and largely because of the political bashing that is purely annoying if not down-right offensive.  I certainly am not going to take political advise from people who make a living playing make-believe ...and live in their make-believe bubbles!

Make it entertaining or give it a rest!!

As for TCM repeatedly highlighting Oscar winners ... it has in fact grown old.  I much prefer other themes such as remakes, or highlighting particular actors.  I actually greatly appreciated the salute to the military (WWII) recently -- now *that* is worthy of a 'spotlight'.  However, there is probably enough younger/newer viewers who have no clue about the Oscar winners from a time when the films and the talent were truly masterpieces as well as classics.  One last thought  --  maybe they could  mix in films that didn't make the cut ... but should have!

17 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Plus many Paramount titles haven't shown in a long time. But Paramount is bringing The Firm and The Hours this year. I liked the former in spite of a confusing ending, but The Hours was too dry for me outside of the performances.

THE HOURS didn't work for me either. 

TCM's idea of including Paramount films in its Oscar scheduling is to show HOLD BACK THE DAWN, THE LOST WEEKEND, sometimes THE HEIRESS, sometimes STALAG 17 and then one or two more recent offerings like those you've mentioned. 

They never show anything directed by Cecil B. DeMille, and he had a big Oscar winning picture at Paramount-- THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH (1952).

Paramount controls the Republic film library (there were almost 1000 feature films produced by Republic Pictures from 1935 to 1959, not counting serials). So it would certainly behoove TCM to partner up with Paramount more.

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

TCM's idea of including Paramount films in its Oscar scheduling is to show HOLD BACK THE DAWN, THE LOST WEEKEND, sometimes THE HEIRESS, sometimes STALAG 17 and then one or two more recent offerings like those you've mentioned. 

They never show anything directed by Cecil B. DeMille, and he had a big Oscar winning picture at Paramount-- THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH (1952).

Paramount controls the Republic film library (there were almost 1000 feature films produced by Republic Pictures from 1935 to 1959, not counting serials). So it would certainly behoove TCM to partner up with Paramount more.

That's true. Paramount has a rich history, and so much is undereen. Not just De Mille, but many 30s/40s films not seen for years, the Hal Wallis productions, even titles from the 70s and 80s that are very rare occurrences on TV

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not to mention, much of the independently-produced classic Paramount catalog--including Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, Rosemary's Baby and Greatest Show on Earth--has now sunk into "Orphan" public domain along with the 80's/90's catalog, and is available everywhere on streaming.  (Along with Hal Wallis' Elvis musicals and the Cary Grant wartime-Pacific comedies, but I don't think we'll be seeing those in the Oscar festival.)

This is the first time it's been available for everybody (including third-party Blu/DVD disk labels like Criterion) to get their hands on it, making it a cheap new addition for TCM, who already had the Warner, MGM and United Artists/Orion orphans.  If we see Dances With Wolves, Silence of the Lambs and Thelma & Louise on the Oscar programming, now you know why we got those, too.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

That's true. Paramount has a rich history, and so much is undereen. Not just De Mille, but many 30s/40s films not seen for years, the Hal Wallis productions, even titles from the 70s and 80s that are very rare occurrences on TV

A month-long spotlight on Hal Wallis Productions (from his days at Warner Brothers AND Paramount) is long overdue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

But Paramount is bringing The Firm and The Hours this year.

And Atlantic City.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fedya said:

And Atlantic City.

Great film. One of Lancaster's best from the later period of his motion picture career.

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Hot Spell is a paramount film.

:)

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

Hot Spell is a paramount film.

:)

Yes, it certainly is...though it was not nominated for any Oscars.

• Like 1