Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Performances of Limited Screen Time That Still Have A Jolting Impact

19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

mercedes-1.jpg

Mercedes McCambridge who was the voice of the demon in The Exorcist (1973).

Oh yeah Bogie, this is a good one!

I'll never forget how jolted I was when I watched this flick the very night it came out and when Mercedes vocalized that shocking line, "Your mother wears combat boots in Hell!"

(...had to clean it up here a bit of course)  ;)

1978-Midnight-Express-08.jpg

Paul L. Smith as Hamidou in Midnight Express (1978).  I had no idea that this actor was American when I saw the film back in 1978.   Relatively unknown actors who convincingly play dislikable villains often don't get their due because we subconsciously confuse them with their characters.  I loved the bit after a full day of torture he took his fat kid's hand and walked him home.

• Like 1

8718853.png.jpg?itok=550tIT87

Michel Simon as Jacquier in It Happened In Broad Daylight (1958).  Jacquier is a poor pedlar who goes from town to town in Germany.   He happens across the body of a young girl in the woods and reports it to the police.  He is then wrongfully implicated in the crime.  Simon is terrific in this small part that opens the film and he performs in German.

The audience is let in on who the real serial murderer is early on so this isn't really a spoiler.  He is played by Gert Frobe and apparently it was this film that brought him to the attention of the James Bond producers and earned him the title role in Goldfinger (1964).  Sean Penn remade It Happened In Broad Daylight as The Pledge in 2001 with Jack Nicholson.

• Like 1

Robert Duvall in one of his earliest roles as the shy, withdrawn Boo Radley in To Kill A Mockingbird.

e575ab6e4f2bfb8e4668946af17124b6.jpg

• Like 3

MV5BMjI3ODkxOTcyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEx

Montgomery Clift as Rudolf Petersen in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).  And ...

Judgment-Nuremberg-1961.jpg

Judy Garland as Irene Hoffman Wallner  in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

bdb8074cb8a535b996bf3e661b28e38b.jpg

Lotte Lenya got to the point as Colonel Rosa Klebb, aka 'Number Three' in From Russia With Love (1963).

She had her ki . . . Nah, forget it, Connery already said it.

• Haha 2

8351892e4011d2359188abd9ecefa19d.jpg

Welshman, Richard Burton as the Narrator in Zulu (1964).    Could there be a better voice to introduce the tale of the South Wales Borderers at Rorke's Drift?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Richard Burton looks like a cross between Bill Murray & Charles Nelson Reilly in that pic^^^

Rod Steiger in one of his greatest roles -Mr. Joyboy the mortician.  It was too big a part to be considered for this thread.  But he does look like Burton in that shot.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Rod Steiger in one of his greatest roles -Mr. Joyboy the mortician

Well then.....

Wow! Rod Steiger looks just like Richard Burton, Bill Murray & Charles Nelson Reilly in that pic!^^^^

😎

(I love that movie too-obviously need a re-watch!)

• Haha 1

The excellence of Isabel Jewell as the seamstress in the 1930s version of A Tale of Two Cities has been mentioned. Marie Versini, who plays the same role in the 1950s version, is equally outstanding.

Blanche Yurka is scary, as usual, as Madame Defarge in the 1930s version, but that may be too large a part for this thread, so I'll mention her smaller role as Gilbert Roland's mother in The Furies. The thought of having her as a mother or mother-in-law is a really scary thought.

25 minutes ago, kingrat said:

The excellence of Isabel Jewell as the seamstress in the 1930s version of A Tale of Two Cities has been mentioned.

Hoping Isabel Jewell receives a  Summer Under the Stars day.       She always makes her presence known,  making the most of her screen time,  even when her role is small.     

A jewell indeed.

Isabel Jewell ~ The Tough Talking Blonde

The-Loved-One-04.jpg

I can't leave The Loved One (1965) without mentioning Ayllene Gibbons' performance as the obese bed ridden Mrs. Joyboy with the insatiable appetite.

• Like 1

I just watched Chinatown (1974) for the first time in a while the other night and John Huston is the perfect example. I thought I remembered him being in the movie for a longer duration, but he gives a brilliant performance in about ten minutes of screen time that stays with you long after the film.

Also from 1974, Ellen Burstyn in Harry and Tonto is terrific (as always) in her scene with Art Carney when he comes to visit her.

• Like 1

960full-the-russians-are-coming,-the-rus

Jolting may not be the word but she certainly made the most of a very small part.  Tessie O'Shea the Welsh Music Hall performer as Alice Foss, the switchboard operator in The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming (1966).