Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NOVEMBER SCHEDULE IS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

classicsstarlets

November is filled with little gems:

A Salute to Steinbeck

A documentary on Johnny Mercer

A salute to Vivien Leigh and one to Joel McCrea

The movies that were preempted for the Karl Malden tribute are back on the schedule

A day of silents and early talkies

*The Delinquents* with Tom Laughlin before he became Billy Jack

*The Long Grey Line*

*Once Upon a Time in the West*

*A Matter of Life and Death*

*Picadilly*

*Tender Comrade*

and *Ride the High Country*

"I think I'll go this one alone."

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> They're also showing what sounds like a Mexican horror movie on the 20th:

>

> *The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy* (1965)

> A mad scientist creates a murderous robot to steal an ancient Aztec treasure. Cast: Ramon Gay, Rosa Arenas, Crox Alvarado. Dir: Rafael Portillo. BW-65 mins,

>

> I'm sure somebody will be happy about that! ;)

I am. I haven't seen it in at least 30 years.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > I am. I haven't seen it in at least 30 years.

>

> Do you remember anything about it? So bad it's good, or so good it's wicked? ;)

It's a must-see. Here is part of the trailer:

Yup, you got it.

A sleazy U.S. hustler, K. Gordon Murray, got ahold of these stupid, incompetent, Mexican-made flicks -- and released'em in the U.S. as Saturday-afternoon kiddie flicks, doing huge local TV promotion and spending more on posters than wasspent on the whole flick.

Imagine dropping yer kid off at a local theater and having'em spend the afternoon watching The Brainiac and Aztec Mummies.

How many young minds were warped? Mine was.

Sunday, Nov. 15

10 AM Eastern Time

*Ah, Wilderness!* (1935)

In his only comedy, Eugene O'Neill captures the trials of growing up in small-town America. Cast: Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Mickey Rooney. Dir: Clarence Brown. BW-98 mins, TV-G, CC

This is a great film and very rare!

Message was edited by: FredCDobbs

Wow ClassicStarlets. You got the jump on TCM City's usual town criers. Congrats.

I see a lot of my favorites coming on in November, but I see some films I'm particularly interested in seeing: Stanwyck's "The Gay Sisters" (though I also wish TCM would air Stanwyck's MY REPUTATION." There'll also be a slew of Robert Ryan films, "Dark Passage" (my favorite of Bogie & Bacall and due to the great Moorhead)...AND one of the most romantic movies ever made: "BLACK ORPHEUS." Marpessa Dawn and Breno Mello have GOT to be, hands down, one of the most gorgeous-looking romantic couples in films. See this film if you haven't already.

I promise you, you will book the next flight to Brazil after viewing this.

Sands of the Kalahari hasn't been on national TV in quite some time. I'm hoping TCM can show a letterboxed version of it.

Has TCM ever shown The Fleet's In before? That's one from Universal's Paramount library.

Poor Pretty Eddie, one movie I never thought I'd see on the schedule, will make the rest of the TCM Underground fare look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

Well, this is one of the most schizophrenic looking months that I've ever seen. One can't swing a cat in this schedule without "hitting" on Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan or Alfred Hitchcock. But it is nice to find Pat O'Brien spread throughout the month.

Maybe I am just too thick to catch on but just what some of these primetime line-ups have in "common" is beyond my comprehension tonight.

Like Monday November 16^th -

*The Roaring Twenties*

*Ziegfeld Girl*

*Yolanda And The Thief* and

*The Corn Is Green*

(Maybe this is a Guest Programmer Night.)

But I did catch on that Johnny Mercer nights continue every Wednesday though out the month.

So that must explain -

*Road House*

*Macao*

*Li'l Abner* and

*The Belle Of New York*

But who'd a thunk Mr. Mercer had a hand in these four films.

Items of interest to me this November include -

The Ealing Studios production of *Nicholas Nickleby*

Franco Zefferelli's *The Taming Of The Shrew*

Jean Cocteau's *Orphee* (followed by *Black Orpheus* the following Sunday Night)

The reappearance of *Dial 'M' For Murder* which has been absent since Rob Reiner hosted the first editions of "The Essentials"

Another night of '30s musicals (and "The Girlfriend Of The Whirling Dervish"!), Thanksgiving with Astaire & Rogers, a Silent Sunday Night of baseball shorts (including an early "Felix The Cat" cartoon) and Ben Mankiewicz introducing *The Incredible Mr. Limpet*.

And 11 (Yes. 11!) Falcon mysteries in a row to make 'markbeckhuaf' truly thankful this coming November.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk