Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Actor-producer-author Kirk Douglas (1916-2020)

9 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Douglas and his wife were involved in numerous volunteer and philanthropic activities. They traveled to more than 40 countries, at their own expense, to act as goodwill ambassadors for the U.S. Information Agency, speaking to audiences about why democracy works and what freedom means.[104] In 1980, Douglas flew to Cairo to talk with Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. For all his goodwill efforts, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Jimmy Carter in 1981.[105] At the ceremony, Carter said that Douglas had "done this in a sacrificial way, almost invariably without fanfare and without claiming any personal credit or acclaim for himself."[124] In subsequent years, Douglas testified before Congress about elder abuse.[7

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some FACTS. Obviously Kirk cared very much about world affairs, sounds like he obviously voted in elections since he and and wife traveled to 40 coumtries AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE as Goodwill Ambassadors  .He received the Presidential Metal of Freedom from President Jimmy Carter on 1981.. And That's NOT A RUMOR or GOSSIP, THOSE ARE FACTS

It seems that not only was Kirk perhaps cheated out of an Oscar, but maybe a Nobel Peace Prize too. Never trust a

goober farmer from Georgia. It's nice that he flew to lots of countries, but that doesn't say much about a person to

me. If I was well off, I'd be happy to fly to other countries too. Frank Sinatra was a big philanthropist too, but in private

life he seems to have been something of an s.o.b. , so philanthropy is not always a sign of a person's morality. Too

bad that Rush Windbag has lowered the value of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I can't recall if the CIA was

involved in the U.S. Information Agency. Have to check that out.

40 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

It seems that not only was Kirk perhaps cheated out of an Oscar, but maybe a Nobel Peace Prize too. Never trust a

goober farmer from Georgia. It's nice that he flew to lots of countries, but that doesn't say much about a person to

me. If I was well off, I'd be happy to fly to other countries too. Frank Sinatra was a big philanthropist too, but in private

life he seems to have been something of an s.o.b. , so philanthropy is not always a sign of a person's morality. Too

bad that Rush Windbag has lowered the value of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I can't recall if the CIA was

involved in the U.S. Information Agency. Have to check that out.

Believe what you want, don;t know what you are trying to prove in this thread, but it isn't working. For someone who doesn't even VOTE in elections you certainly are judgmental. LOL,  How would you fly around to other countries when you can't even bother to vote. You're reaching  with this one, and it's laughable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's an idea, Vautrin:  start a new thread about what a terrible person Kirk Douglas was.  You can say all the nasty things about him you want, and you won't be interrupted by others saying, "Please don't do this, this is a thread to pay tribute to Kirk Douglas, it's not the place to dis him."  

Because clearly that's what you want to do. 

Personally, I don't understand why you care what kind of a person Mr. Douglas was in his private life.  I don't much care what any famous person, be they actor, director,  musician, writer, or whatever their reason for fame was, behaved like in their personal life. All I care about is the work they did, whether it's good or not. Kirk Douglas left us a legacy of memorable films, many of them outstandingly good. He was a really good actor.  He had an exceptionally strong screen presence. He made intelligent choices in the films he decided to be in.  These are the things that count about him.

If you insist on vilifying him, you're free to do so. But that's a whole different topic. So stick to the topic on this thread, which is intended to honour Kirk Douglas, not disparage him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Believe what you want, don;t know what you are trying to prove in this thread, but it isn't working. For someone who doesn't even VOTE in elections you certainly are judgmental. LOL,  How would you fly around to other countries when you can't even bother to vote. You're reaching  with this one, and it's laughable.

I don't think people come here to prove things, but just to discuss stuff, shoot the breeze, etc. And if it doesn't work,

that's okay, though I'm not sure what was supposed to work. As far as I know there is no connection between not

voting and flying to other countries. After all, about 45% of eligible voters don't vote in presidential elections and a

majority in off year elections. That's a rather larger number of people.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Here's an idea, Vautrin:  start a new thread about what a terrible person Kirk Douglas was.  You can say all the nasty things about him you want, and you won't be interrupted by others saying, "Please don't do this, this is a thread to pay tribute to Kirk Douglas, it's not the place to dis him."  

Because clearly that's what you want to do. 

Personally, I don't understand why you care what kind of a person Mr. Douglas was in his private life.  I don't much care what any famous person, be they actor, director,  musician, writer, or whatever their reason for fame was, behaved like in their personal life. All I care about is the work they did, whether it's good or not. Kirk Douglas left us a legacy of memorable films, many of them outstandingly good. He was a really good actor.  He had an exceptionally strong screen presence. He made intelligent choices in the films he decided to be in.  These are the things that count about him.

If you insist on vilifying him, you're free to do so. But that's a whole different topic. So stick to the topic on this thread, which is intended to honour Kirk Douglas, not disparage him.

Okay, Kirk cheated at solitaire and he never picked up a check. I don't know if Dougie was a terrible person. Maybe, maybe

not. I found him to be a bit on the pompous side, but that's not unusual in Hollywood or a terrible sin. I've never been big

on idolizing movie stars, so that may play into some of my comments. If folks want to dis a movie star, even on a tribute

thread, that's their right. I was thinking of starting a thread titled What's the Frequency, Issur? It wouldn't be about what

a terrible person Kirk was (or wasn't). It would be about his adventures in the hereafter where he runs into many of his

old studio era pals. But that was just a passing thought. 

33 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Okay, Kirk cheated at solitaire and he never picked up a check. I don't know if Dougie was a terrible person. Maybe, maybe

not. I found him to be a bit on the pompous side, but that's not unusual in Hollywood or a terrible sin. I've never been big

on idolizing movie stars, so that may play into some of my comments. If folks want to dis a movie star, even on a tribute

thread, that's their right. I was thinking of starting a thread titled What's the Frequency, Issur? It wouldn't be about what

a terrible person Kirk was (or wasn't). It would be about his adventures in the hereafter where he runs into many of his

Do you dislike Kirk Douglas so much because he was a Zionist? I certainly don't agree with that either but this part of the forum is more for the movie discussion.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

So, question here, Vautrin:

In this theoretical "hereafter", at any time  does Kirk at some imagined big airport in the sky, walk up to a nice looking and personable young airline customer service agent in his late-twenties who always attempts to be as helpful as he can be to the traveling public, and then begins to think because he's a big movie star, said customer service agent is obliged to give him information about an arriving passenger, and information that said customer service agent has been explicitly told and according to FAA regulations to not to give out to anyone except to a duly authorized LEO and without exception?

OR, would these little post-death scenarios of yours solely be about Kirk and his interactions with his old studio pals?

(...I'd really like a clarification on this before possibly coming on board with this whole idea, you understand)

LOL

• Haha 1

Wait a sec here, Vautrin. Never mind my question up there.

You see, it just occurred to me that IN this theoretical "hereafter" of yours, most if not all of the inhabitants (yep, even good ol' Clarence Oddbody and after he helped George Bailey see the error of his thinking) already have their OWN wings, and so the idea of having to transit some big airport in the sky in order to travel around postmortem would be a non-issue.

(...well, UNLESS of course Kirk ends up where Don Ameche first ended up after he died in that very entertaining Lubitsch flick from 1943...YOU know, the one with the title that Warren Beatty ripped off in '78...nobody has wings down there, ya know)

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Oh, if I idolized movie stars - and all the other artists whose work I love - I'd be a very disappointed person.  I don't and never have.

At the risk of going off-topic, I'll give just one example:  I love the Kinks, their music means a lot to me. And I recently heard that Ray Davies, their main songwriter and creative force , is in many ways a horrible person. Ok, not a murderer or rapist or anything heinous like that, but he's known to have been, at least in the past, extremely unkind to some of his employees, his first wife, and, famously his own brother (who gave back as good as he got.)  This was all disillusioning, but in no way affected how I felt about the Kinks' music.

Sorry, I don't want to derail this thread about Kirk Douglas by talking about Ray Davies. I just cited him as an example of how I separate the art from the artist. And whenever Ray Davies dies (hopefully that won't happen for a long time), I would just write about what a great songwriter he was, and would not have the slightest interest in telling stories about how nasty he could be. 

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Do you dislike Kirk Douglas so much because he was a Zionist? I certainly don't agree with that either but this part of the forum is more for the movie discussion.

Was Kirk a Zionist? I mean a dyed-in-the-wool zealous type. I don't know. I kind of doubt it. Zionists were just another

group of European colonialists come to exploit and kill the native people. But I doubt he knew much about that.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Wait a sec here, Vautrin. Never mind my question up there.

You see, it just occurred to me that IN this theoretical "hereafter" of yours, most if not all of the inhabitants (yep, even good ol' Clarence Oddbody and after he helped George Bailey see the error of his thinking) already have their OWN wings, and so the idea of having to transit some big airport in the sky in order to travel around postmortem would be a non-issue.

(...well, UNLESS of course Kirk ends up where Don Ameche first ended up after he died in that very entertaining Lubitsch flick from 1943...YOU know, the one with the title that Warren Beatty ripped off in '78...nobody has wings down there, ya know)

I really hadn't thought too much about the details. I wasn't planning on inserting your story about Kirk's high-handedness

(surprise, surprise :)) into that beyond the grave schemata, but I could certainly add it in. And as it's my hereafter I get

to make the transportation rules and regs. Maybe I could place Mr. Douglas by the baggage carousel eternally waiting for

a suitcase that will never show up. Ouch.

22 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Oh, if I idolized movie stars - and all the other artists whose work I love - I'd be a very disappointed person.  I don't and never have.

At the risk of going off-topic, I'll give just one example:  I love the Kinks, their music means a lot to me. And I recently heard that Ray Davies, their main songwriter and creative force , is in many ways a horrible person. Ok, not a murderer or rapist or anything heinous like that, but he's known to have been, at least in the past, extremely unkind to some of his employees, his first wife, and, famously his own brother (who gave back as good as he got.)  This was all disillusioning, but in no way affected how I felt about the Kinks' music.

Sorry, I don't want to derail this thread about Kirk Douglas by talking about Ray Davies. I just cited him as an example of how I separate the art from the artist. And whenever Ray Davies dies (hopefully that won't happen for a long time), I would just write about what a great songwriter he was, and would not have the slightest interest in telling stories about how nasty he could be. 

I think some people here do idolize movie stars to a certain degree, not to the slobbering teenage one, but to some

place along the continuum. After all this Kirk stuff, I would love to hear about the Kinks, and there is Celluloid Heroes.

I don't know that much about Ray Davies' personal life. I suppose on the surface he seemed like a witty down to

earth guy with a longing for the "good" old days of bygone England. But I wouldn't be shocked if that wasn't the

whole of the  actual Ray. My favorite band is the Beatles and my favorite Beatle is John, but John could be a big

creep and jackass, but I can live with that. I guess my point is ....I like John Lennon more than Kirk Douglas.

Whatever. Sexy Izzy you'll get yours yet, However big you think you are ah ah ah.  :)

In the internet era, people whom one disagrees with are called trolls. I get it. 

It keeps things nice and simplistic.

• Sad 1

A troll's goal is to override positivity, so I'll just say:

Rest in Peace, Issur Danielovitch. Your strong, multifaceted contribution to our culture will be enjoyed by future generations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

A troll's goal is to override positivity, so I'll just say:

Rest in Peace, Issur Danielovitch. Your strong, multifaceted contribution to our culture will be enjoyed by future generations.

Brava, TikiSoo.  My sentiments exactly.  For those who don't know who Issur Danielovitch was, that's Kirk Douglas. This thread was meant to honor a great actor.  May He Rest in Peace. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I remember seeing the Pretenders and Chrissie Hynde here in LA LA Land a few months after Ray Davies and her ended their relationship.     Hynde being a big fan of The Kinks would always play one of their songs.    This time before playing she said "I assume many of you know what has happened,,,,   all I can say is,,,  don't fall in love with your idols!".

They then played Stop Your Sobbing.

Related to Douglas and this thread:   sad that one guy just doesn't get it.    It is all about place and timing.      RIP Mr. Douglas.     You left a full film legacy for future generations. 

• Like 2

Okay, this anecdote might not seem to have much to do with Kirk Douglas but, stick with me, there is a connection.

I recall going for a hike in the woods back in the '70s or maybe '80s at a beautiful elevated location in Ontario (you have to climb a bit to get to it) known as Rattlesnake Point. Well, there are no rattlesnakes there, to the best of my knowledge, but there are plenty of other things, including even some buffalo in a meadow down below. Anyway the day I went there I didn't know it at the time but a Canadian character actor named Derek McGrath was also hiking through the woods (he would go to Hollywood and appear in some feature films and television).

Any way that day as I was hiking along at one point I was extolling the virtues of this natural paradise area quite loudly to my friend,

"It's all here," I said loudly and enthusiastically, "You've got birds and trees and buffalo . . ."

At that precise moment McGrath came walking out from behind a tree.

". . . and actors," I added without missing a beat as I pointed to him with a wave of my hand.

McGrath looked over at us and laughed as my friend and I kept walking.

Years later I watched DRAW, a Kirk Douglas western, and much to my surprise, up popped McGrath on the screen. I didn't know his name at the time.

"Hey," I yelled, "there's the guy from behind the tree!"

McGrath played a weaselly little creep in the film, at one point pulling out a gun and ready to shoot Kirk in the back until he's stopped by somebody. If I had known he was that type I might not have been quite so casual about sighting him that day back on Rattlesnake Point. And I sure wouldn't have turned my back on him!

Derek-McGrath-as-Reggie-Bell-in-Draw-198

Okay, it's not much of a Kirk Douglas story, I admit, but it's the best I could do.

• Like 1