Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Actor-producer-author Kirk Douglas (1916-2020)

And before anyone else is showoff enough to post it, Kirk's singing debut, in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

He could do...almost anything.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

the gates of classic Hollywood are closing with the passing of this great actor.

yes, I am crying.

:(

16-9

This post made me very nostalgic. The Golden Age of Hollywood is becoming nothing more than a bygone memory that is gone forever. We will NEVER see anything like it ever again. 

I'll never forget meeting Kirk Douglas for a Q&A at the 2011

Film Festival. Don't recall which movie.

In the makeshift green room before, he beckons me. "I worked with your Uncle Joe on a picture."

"I know," I say. "Letter to 3 Wives." "No," says Kirk, "a western."

He's referring to "There Was a Crooked Man," with Henry Fonda, Hume Cronyn & Lee Grant

. "Do you know what I learned making that picture?" he asks. "No," I say, already laughing because Kirk is grinning

. "I learned your uncle shouldn't have made a western."

;)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Kirk Douglas, RIP. Here’s The Greatest Animated Short Ever Made About Him.

"......if we had to choose just one piece of animation that best embodies the actor and honors his animation legacy, there’s no question it would have to be The Big Story.

This homage to the actor, in which multiple Douglases do verbal battle with each other, was created by British filmmakers Tim Watts and David Stoten, and would go on to win the 1994 BAFTA for best animated short. It was also nominated for a best animated short Oscar, and with a runtime of 1-minute-56-seconds (with credits), it ranks among the shortest animated films ever nominated for that honor. Frank Gorshin handled the vocal duties as Douglas. Watch a lo-res copy of the film below:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/kirk-douglas-rip-heres-the-greatest-animated-short-ever-made-about-him-185734.html

• Like 3

Because of his age I wasn't surprised over his passing, been expecting it.  Kirk will be missed.

Anyone living over 100+ is blessed.

One of his latest films I like is "The Final Countdown"  (1980)

960full-the-final-countdown-------------

RIP

It is definitely sad that he's gone but when they pulled him out to the Oscars in his wheelchair that one year, he seemed barely coherent. He was probably suffering quite a lot in his last years.

I just herd the sad news.  It’s so sad and to bad.  Kirk Douglas was a really wonderful actor and I bet.  Both Micheal and Catherine and all the rest of his family and his wife Anne are all so sad right now.  He was great in The Bad And The Beautiful.  Walt Disney’s 20000 Leagues Under The Sea and there’s a movie he and Michael did together.  But I forget what it’s called right now and I’m with you guys.  I would love to see a tribute to Kirk Douglas in March hosted by Michael Douglas.  Maybe on a certain day of the week in March all month long or maybe they could reschedule the star of the month they have planned for March and make him star of the month for eight days straight or however many days they had for John Wayne when he was star of the month a few years ago and in Primetime.  It could be hosted by either Ben Mainkawitz.  Dave Karger.  Alicia Malone or Eddie Muller and Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones.  He really deserves something like this.  Because like you all have been saying and I agree with you.  He was a Hollywood legend.  Icon and really wonderful actor and we will all really miss him a whole lot.

I was a big fan, especially when I was a kid. Spartacus and Paths of Glory are still two of my favorite films, and I've enjoyed many of his others, as well. I'm looking at others like Ace in the HoleDetective Story20,000 Leagues Under the SeaLust for LifeThe VikingsSeven Days in MayGunfight at the OK CorralOut of the Past, and Saturn 3 sitting on my movie shelves. I also liked his books. At 103, I knew this was coming, but it's still a sad passing. He was the last of the major male classic-era stars, and his passing is truly the closing of a chapter in American cinema.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I uh, wow, I seriously don't remember him being in a wheelchair for any Oscars. Could you elaborate what year that was and why it happened?

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I uh, wow, I seriously don't remember him being in a wheelchair for any Oscars. Could you elaborate what year that was and why it happened?

Gersh may be referencing this appearance at the 2018 Golden Globes:

Header_1452287_1.1-1023x1024.jpg 

Oops, turned it off as soon as The Apartment ended, but hopefully I will catch it in the next few days.

It's a sad day for fans of Kirk Douglas and movie fans in general. Maybe a few would be interested, though, in reading my anecdote about the day I briefly met him at a Toronto book signing in January, 2002. Here's what I wrote about the incident a few years ago on the TCM boards.

Well, I sort of met Kirk at a book signing in 2002, and let me assure you his 5'9" days were long behind him then. But getting smaller as we age is something we can all look forward to (some of us there already, I'm sure).

By the way Kirk told the crowd there a few anecdotes, and one of them was in regard to the depression he felt after his stroke. Things got so bad, in fact, that he put a gun in his mouth one day. However, as he did so the gun banged a tooth, and the pain was so bad he quickly withdrew the gun. Kirk laughed about the fact that that sudden toothache saved his life.

The book that Kirk was promoting was My Stroke of Luck. I've told this anecdote before so my apologies to those reading it for a second time.

Everyone at the store signing paid $25 in advance for Douglas' book, then we were able to get an autograph. But the store was so crowded. There were hundreds there, much to my dismay, and it got hot, really hot waiting for Kirk to appear, as in shoulder to shoulder contact with one another.

I was in about the middle of the crowd, wondering how nuts I was to go through this. Anyway, Kirk finally arrived on a platform, accompanied by Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones. Michael said a few nice things about his Dad, and, I believe, Catherine said a few things too. Kirk gave his anecdotes then sat down as the book signing began.

Well, no one could get near Douglas. He was on a platform at a desk signing away as people would hand their books up to the big security boys on the platform who passed them on to Kirk. People further back in the room, such as where I was, had to pass their book to the person in front of them who would pass it to the one in front of him, etc. till it got to the platform, then, after getting the big KD autograph, it would be passed hand to hand back to the owner.

Well, I was still well back from the platform and watched my book get passed hand to hand up to the platform. I saw Kirk sign it then the book was passed back to one of the people by the platform. Hand over hand I saw it coming back in my direction and then - suddenly - it was gone!

I'm looking around and starting to sweat and my $25 paid for Kirk Douglas autographed book just got pocketed by someone in the crowd ahead of me! I'm surrounded by heads of people looking for their own book to come back. Then I spot another signed copy coming back in my direction and, quicker than Kirk was in those Spartacus battle scenes, I jumped in the air and snagged the book for myself.

Sorry if someone there lost out on a signed copy of the book they paid for. I was just determined that that someone wasn't going to be me!

After getting the book I squeezed myself out of the crowd and just watched the book signing from a distance. After a while I noticed that security was putting up some yellow tape along the left side of the room. Everyone else was still looking up at the platform where Kirk was and not paying much attention.

However, I had a hunch about that taped off section so moved over to the tape. Sure enough about 15 minutes later Kirk was leaving the room through that taped off section smiling and waving to the crowd. I stuck my mitt out as he passed by and got a handshake, probably one of only three or four in the room who did.

"I just shook the hand of Spartacus," I thought at the time.

That was my one and only book signing and while I'm glad I went I doubt there will be another one for me. I'm just not spry enough to snatch a book out of the air anymore.

kirk-douglas.jpg?w=400&e=042c8ba717577f4

Kirk looking triumphant at his 2002 Toronto book signing

• Like 2

I'm waiting for Dargo's retelling of his encounter with Douglas, which is maybe not so flattering. I didn't miss it, did I? Need to scroll back.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I was a big fan, especially when I was a kid. Spartacus and Paths of Glory are still two of my favorite films, and I've enjoyed many of his others, as well. I'm looking at others like Ace in the HoleDetective Story20,000 Leagues Under the SeaLust for LifeThe VikingsSeven Days in MayGunfight at the OK CorralOut of the Past, and Saturn 3 sitting on my movie shelves. I also liked his books. At 103, I knew this was coming, but it's still a sad passing. He was the last of the major male classic-era stars, and his passing is truly the closing of a chapter in American cinema.

giphy.gif

It feels strange,almost eerie,tuesday I was thinking of him and of Olivia De Havilland,wondering who will live longer and bang1 got my answer today....like you Larry, he was one of my first movie fave,myuncle brought me to Spartacus and The Vikings,circa 1963,on separate viewings at the neighborhood 8th reissue theatre,i still watch these movies whenever they play,my uncle had great taste I also saw 7th Voyage of Sinbad there. I have read several of his books Ragman's Son is a great one-know it by heart,i have seen all his films except 2 tv films and I asked TCM  to show Walls of Jericho from 1948(Fox),the REAL end of an era, R.I.P. Issur

• Like 1

Just now, JamesStewartFan95 said:

Personally, I’m finding it hard to come to grips . . .

I think we should skip this question - particularly today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I think we should skip this question - particularly today.

Fair enough!