Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor-producer-author Kirk Douglas (1916-2020)

I saw THE VILLAIN in the theater, too.  At the CINEMA 70 in Lake Worth, FL.  I was a little shaver back then, but when "The Villain" was first released on video I immediately bought it.  It's like a Coyote/Road Runner cartoon.  Kirk was funny as outlaw Cactus Jack.  In the movie, Paul Lynde as 'Chief Nervous Elk' calls him 'Many-Stickered John'. 

• Like 1

I'm about to make a sour grapes comment and I apologize in advance since, generally speaking, I'm not one of those who criticizes TCM all that much.

But now we know that TCM will undoubtedly have some kind of film tribute to Kirk Douglas, probably in March, because, well, it's inconceivable that they won't. But I recall a thread that I created three years ago asking why the station wasn't having a tribute to Kirk when he was about to turn 100, especially since they had just done it (rightfully so) for Olivia de Havilland.

Because the time to have had a film tribute to Kirk was when HE WAS ALIVE (!!!). That way he might have actually shared some of it with us at his home and maybe enjoyed himself in the process.

End of gripe because now it's too late and there's nothing we can do about it. Still, where the heck are their programming brains at times?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Okay, sorry Tom. You're right.

(...but I'll tell ya RIGHT now, I AIN'T gonna delete my previous posting...I'll let any of the moderators do that if they want)

• Like 1

Okay, now where were we here? Oh yeah, Kirk Douglas.

(...it was a sunny June afternoon in 1979 at Los Angeles International Airport that day when...……)

LOL

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay, now where were we here? Oh yeah, Kirk Douglas.

(...it was a sunny June afternoon in 1979 at Los Angeles International Airport that day when...……)

LOL

I remember. LOL.

6 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Thank you for posting this link!  I knew Olivia de Havilland, Norman Lloyd, and Marsha Hunt were still with us, but I had no idea there were this many centenarians and nonagenarians from the 'classic' Hollywood years still around.   

• Like 1

Yeah, let's get back to the real Issur. Kirk baby was also a novelist. I even found a copy of Last Tango in

Brooklyn, Mr. D's third novel, in the house. Apparently it was quite a wonderful book. Noted literary

critic Larry King sez "The man is a flat-out-terrific storyteller." The  contemporary author who most

resembles Henry James, Sidney Sheldon, notes "Kirk Douglas has carved out a brilliant new career."

The Seattle Times writes "A solid writer who moves the story along quickly." I don't know about that

one. Sounds like they're glad someone made their hero sandwich very quickly. I'm starting to feel

like I'm at a wake, though I don't think Mr. D was Irish. Drinks on me.

• Like 1

Hey!  Anyone else but me glad to see that that link went from being "Actors born in the 1910s-1940s" to "Actors who debuted in the 1950s"?

(...says the guy born in 1952) ;)

• Haha 1

For those interested TCM will be broadcasting Kirk in two films this month

Wednesday, February 12 at 1:15 am

LUST FOR LIFE (1956)

bsuksxakwco6qpdyt9zk.jpg

Monday, February 24 at 7:45 am

STORY OF THREE LOVES (1953)

MV5BMDVjNDZlOGUtZjY1Zi00MTMxLTk3ZDktMmZk

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

Thank you for posting this link!  I knew Olivia de Havilland, Norman Lloyd, and Marsha Hunt were still with us, but I had no idea there were this many centenarians and nonagenarians from the 'classic' Hollywood years still around.   

Suzy Delair is still alive too and she was in Laurel and Hardy's last film ("Utopia") along with several great films by Clouzot and Carne.

I thought it was worth mentioning that tonight on ABC World News Tonight they had a bit of DAVID MUIR's 2012 visit with KIRK DOUGLAS at his home where DOUGLAS pointed out slabs of concrete signed by famous persons displayed in his garden.  The very first one pointed out by DOUGLAS was one signed by NATALIE WOODKIRK said WOOD's name himself. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I thought it was worth mentioning that tonight on ABC World News Tonight they had a bit of DAVID MUIR's 2012 visit with KIRK DOUGLAS at his home where DOUGLAS pointed out slabs of concrete signed by famous persons displayed in his garden.  The very first one pointed out by DOUGLAS was one signed by NATALIE WOODKIRK said WOOD's name himself. 

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Unverified rumors are just that. Rumors.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Unverified rumors are just that. Rumors.

I agree.  Please don't read into what I wrote, I offered no opinion.  I believe what I saw is relevant to portions of this discussion.  I am merely reporting. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I agree.  Please don't read into what I wrote, I offered no opinion.  I believe what I saw is relevant to portions of this discussion.  I am merely reporting. 

It came across a bit like you were implying he was gloating about something. Douglas knew Wood and it would be completely normal that he was proud of their friendship and having her signature.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

The  contemporary author who most resembles Henry James, Sidney Sheldon, notes "Kirk Douglas has carved out a brilliant new career."

To be fair, that's Oscar-winner Sidney Sheldon.  (He wrote the screenplay for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer.)

CAN WE ALL AT LEAST AGREE...

That it was extremely messed up for Melissa Leo to grab KIRK’s cane and do schtick with it when he presented her with best supporting actress and she showed up dressed as Elvis from the “68 special” and proceeded to make an absolute fool of herself accepting and walking off? 

I bet she’s not even allowed inside the main compound on THE ISLAND OF LOST SUPPORTING ACTRESSES.

• Haha 4

"Oh my! Oh my god! Oh wow! Really, really, really, really, really, truly wow. I know there's a lot of people that said a lotta real, real nice things to me for several months now, but I'm just shakin' in my boots here. Okay, alright. Thank you, David O. Russell. I want to thank the actors: Mark Wahlberg; Christian Bale – he might've run out for a second; Amy, my sweet sister Adams; Jack; our lovely daughters. Okay... yeah, I am kind of speechless. Golly sakes, there's people up there, too [waving to the balcony sections]. When I watched Kate two years ago it looked so ****** easy – oops!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
54 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

CAN WE ALL AT LEAST AGREE...

That it was extremely messed up for Melissa Leo to grab KIRK’s cane and do schtick with it when he presented her with best supporting actress and she showed up dressed as Elvis from the “68 special” and proceeded to make an absolute fool of herself accepting and walking off? 

I bet she’s not even allowed inside the main compound on THE ISLAND OF LOST SUPPORTING ACTRESSES.

Not quite the way I remembered it. The 94-year-old Douglas had just flirted with Anne Hathaway and reeled off several one-liners.

Leo just went with the flow.

But judge for yourselves...

• Thanks 1