Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Actor-producer-author Kirk Douglas (1916-2020)

maybe it wasn't a "snatch," but it happens at 7:50 (almost the very end) and it's not a good look for Leo.

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

maybe it wasn't a "snatch," but it happens at 7:50 (almost the very end) and it's not a good look for Leo.

Still, Douglas set the tone with his shtick as a presenter (as well as his stick). He certainly had a sense of humor.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those interested in the film Spartacus, Kirk's book I Am Spartacus ! is an interesting read. It's the backstory that tales place while working on the film and what Kirk had to go thru to get the film made. Working with Kubrick, Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton and Dalton Trumbo as screenwriter and the problems he had with studio bosses. It's a quick read, well written and informative. I enjoyed it very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the video, Jakeem. I watched the Oscars that year but had forgotten this moment. I realize the actresses nominated all wanted to hear the announcement of the winner from Kirk but it was fun the way he kept milking the moment, amusingly so, prolonging his experience of being on that Oscar stage because he knew it was probably the last time he would ever be there. Kirk Douglas was one feisty old geezer who still had an eye for the ladies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a fun video of Kirk and Burt singing together at the '58 and '59 Oscars. They sing "It's Great Not To Be Nominated" and make a few catty comments to each other about the actors that had been nominated best actor that year over them. You also see a little bit of gymnastics here, reminding you of Burt's circus days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

For those interested in the film Spartacus, Kirk's book I Am Spartacus ! is an interesting read. It's the backstory that tales place while working on the film and what Kirk had to go thru to get the film made. Working with Kubrick, Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton and Dalton Trumbo as screenwriter and the problems he had with studio bosses. It's a quick read, well written and informative. I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks  for the recommendation, lavenderblue. I just ordered it off Amazon.

• Like 1

A co-worker (who I habitually tease because he likes gladiator movies and religious epics) came to see me about something yesterday and on his way out he turned and said, "Spartacus is dead." Just king of got me right here.

• Sad 1

RIP Kirk.

He certainly lived a long life and left a legacy of classic films to his name.

I wasn't crazy about that schtick when he was presenting Best Supporting Actress to Melissa Leo myself, but it apparently did him no harm so what do I know?

Anyway another old Hollywood legend gone, so sad.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Thanks  for the recommendation, lavenderblue. I just ordered it off Amazon.

You're Welcome Tom :) 

Hope you like the book. but don't yell at me if you don't ( but I think you will ).  I've also read My Stroke of Luck. My dad had a terrible stroke and the book helped us a little at that time.  The book that I haven't read and always wanted to was Kirk and Anne, Love, Laughter and a Lifetime in Hollywood. I had ordered it from the library, there was a very, very long waiting list for the book. I forgot about it, now I'm in the mood to read it, guess I'll order it.  Let me know what you thought of  I Am Spartacus!

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

It came across a bit like you were implying he was gloating about something. Douglas knew Wood and it would be completely normal that he was proud of their friendship and having her signature.

I implied nothing.  The fact that NATALIE WOOD signed this concrete slab for KIRK DOUGLAS clearly is evidence that NATALIE WOOD had no problem with KIRK DOUGLAS and they were friends.  I also believe any internet rumor is simply that: a rumor. Grownups must decide from the facts and not succumb to mob mentality. 

•  

Well, there are plenty of grown ups who dont follow that rule. The Alternate Facts crowd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OK.  So far, nobody claimed to recall, so I'll remind......

Sepiatone

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

"Oh my! Oh my god! Oh wow! Really, really, really, really, really, truly wow.... When I watched Kate two years ago it looked so ****** easy – oops!"

To be fair, ETHEL BARRYMORE said the EXACT SAME THING about TERESA WRIGHT when she won for NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART. It was just that there was a war on and no television and people had other things going on in their lives.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I would love to see that!  I did see BRIAN DENNEHY (as Brady) with CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER on Broadway in the play 10 or 15 years ago...

KIRK does his own stunts in one clip and it's impressive. Sorry for the quality of the clip, but it's pretty damn interesting.

20 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Never saw that version, but dang if it doesn't look good, and a worthy remake to the 1960 Tracy/March version.

Saw the Jack Lemmon/George C. Scott version, not bad at all, but the 1960 film is a tough act to follow.

• Like 2

Re: "Spartacus"...

16-9

...or as Cher in "Clueless" calls it  “Sparatacus”.

Just read in the "Movies with Movies" thread   Cher said  "Sporadicus".  :lol:

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

You're Welcome Tom :) 

Hope you like the book. but don't yell at me if you don't ( but I think you will ).  I've also read My Stroke of Luck. My dad had a terrible stroke and the book helped us a little at that time.  The book that I haven't read and always wanted to was Kirk and Anne, Love, Laughter and a Lifetime in Hollywood. I had ordered it from the library, there was a very, very long waiting list for the book. I forgot about it, now I'm in the mood to read it, guess I'll order it.  Let me know what you thought of  I Am Spartacus!

I have My Stroke of Luck, as well, but never did get around to reading it. I've heard favourable reports about Douglas as a writer so assume I'll enjoy his Spartacus book. Sad now to think that with Kirk's departure, Joanna Barnes, who had a small role in the film, is the only cast member of it still with us. What a cast that was!

c9f8e7da02a8003834b9c5d068815282.jpg

There was quite a slew of film epics of this nature at the time, with Ben Hur, of course, being the most famous. Spartacus, unburdened, in my opinion, by a Christian religious message and with a plea about individualism in society (which Douglas and screenwriter Dalton Trumbo would explore with even greater depth in Lonely Are the Brave) has always been my favourite of them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Re: "Spartacus"...

...or as Cher in "Clueless" calls it  “Sparatacus”.

Just read in the "Movies with Movies" thread   Cher said  "Sporadicus".  :lol:

I only wrote "Sporadicus" because at some point in the movie, the new word she learns is "sporadically." Lol. I'm sure either spelling is fine for a non-word, non-title.

My ex and I invited my parents over for a cookout one weekend and we rented Tough Guys. My father loved it! Well, we all did. I haven't seen it in quite a while. Probably should watch it again. 

I remember reading somewhere that Burt and Kirk were walking in Brooklyn and a guy came up to them and said something to the effect of, "It's Boit and Koik" and they called each other that afterward for many years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

To be fair, ETHEL BARRYMORE said the EXACT SAME THING about TERESA WRIGHT when she won for NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART. It was just that there was a war on and no television and people had other things going on in their lives.

She should have done one-armed pushups during her acceptance speech. People would have been talking about it for days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kirk talks about his life as he discusses his autobiography, The Ragman's Son. He also has an anecdote about an incident that occured during the making of Spartacus.

A more in-depth interview here, discussing his beginnings and the shyness of actors hiding behind their roles. Among other things he discusses the rather unique way in which he was able to avoid a fight in a bar one day.

12 hours ago, Fedya said:

To be fair, that's Oscar-winner Sidney Sheldon.  (He wrote the screenplay for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer.)

I was referring to Sheldon's later career as a best-selling novelist. TBATB is a wonderful movie, deserving of an

Oscar for its screenplay.