Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor-producer-author Kirk Douglas (1916-2020)

42 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

As people now understand, the fact that Natalie Wood signed Kirk's slab is not evidence of anything.

I don't agree. What I saw revisited on the news last night could certainly be construed as evidence either way.  I construe it that they had a friendship. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

I don't agree. What I saw revisited on the news last night could certainly be construed as evidence either way.  I construe it that they had a friendship. 

I saw it too. It was a little weird that Kirk had his own walk of fame. Back in the day people would have seen Natalie

signing it as proof that there had been no assault because how could anyone do something like that for someone who

had assaulted her. Now we know that is not necessarily so, so her signing it proves nothing to me. This is something

that people will have to make up their own minds about.

The last time this topic came up, people seemed to want to be very high-minded and not mention the actress in question by name. I can't remember if all the people have repeatedly mentioned her name here are completely different from the people who posted in that thread, or if they all changed their minds.

You might wait until Kirk's at least in his grave.

Man, I hoped this actor had a great enough career after well over60 years that a topic like this wouldn't threaten to take over a tribute thread about him a mere two days after his death. But some people, it seems, are really drawn to the sordid (even if there's no evidence of its truth).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, TomJH said:

You might wait until Kirk's at least in his grave.

Man, I hoped this actor had a great enough career after well over60 years that a topic like this wouldn't threaten to take over a tribute thread about him a mere two days after his death. But some people, it seems, are really drawn to the sordid (even if there's no evidence of its truth).

You are right, this thread should be focused on Kirk's career and accomplishments, not unproven accusations. My apologies for unwittingly bringing the subject back to the surface.

He starred in so many great classics, it always astonishes me that he had so few Oscar nominations. I am glad at least he got an honorary Oscar.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

You are right, this thread should be focused on Kirk's career and accomplishments, not unproven accusations. My apologies for unwittingly bringing the subject back to the surface.

He starred in so many great classics, it always astonishes me that he had so few Oscar nominations. I am glad at least he got an honorary Oscar.

Well, Beth, if you're sorry and want to honour Kirk, as a friendly suggestion,  there's nothing to stop you from deleting your comment along with the quote you selected.

I just re-watched The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.  I believe that it was one of Kirk's first films, if not his actual first film.  It's such an interesting film and I loved that you never really knew what side Kirk was on.

My friends (who enjoy classic film like I do, but aren't as knowledgeable about it as I am) wanted to watch a Kirk Douglas film.  I recommended Ace in the Hole.  They rented it and loved it.  I found that that film is just as timely now as it was in 1951 when it was made.

I loved Kirk in The Story of Three Loves where he played the circus performer with Pier Angeli. His story was my favorite. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Question....how do I delete it?

You go to your post, click where it says "edit", and then delete by using the backspace. Leave the word "delete" or just a ".", since it won't let you just leave it blank.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

You go to your post, click where it says "edit", and then delete by using the backspace. Leave the word "delete" or just a ".", since it won't let you just leave it blank.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Folks tend to idolize the old time movie stars, understandably so since in a certain way they were

larger than life. But that doesn't mean they didn't have human flaws and did bad things just like

other people.

For those who have a subscription to Starz, three of Kirk's westerns were just added for streaming:

GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL (1957) 
POSSE (1975) which he also directed
THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER (1982) 

SCREEN1.jpeg

An actor's film career can have a number of special moments for us that leave an indelible memory.

I watched Lonely Are The Brave again last December. It's a Kirk Douglas film and performance that have always been special to me.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM

There are quite a few scenes in the film that I cherish but one that has always tugged at my heart is towards the end. Jack Burns (Douglas) has just knocked out the goon guard (George Kennedy) on a mountain side, the guard leaving a rope dangling from the top of the mountain (with Mexico and freedom for Burns just on the other side).

Burns studies the rope, looking up it towards the top of the mountain, pauses then takes several glances back at Whiskey, his horse. He knows, with law officers closing in upon him, that freedom awaits him if he scales the mountain with the rope but it means abandoning the horse, an animal he loves.

Burns returns to the horse and ties his front legs together with a strap, saying, "You've been nothing but a little nuisance. They'll find you when they find that ape over there," referring to the guard. He has decided to do the pragmatic thing and scale the rocks with the rope.

But then comes that wonderful heart breaking moment. Burns, clinging to the rope, starts to climb the rock but after just a couple steps stops and looks back at the horse. There's a shot of Whiskey looking up at him, a reaction shot of Burns looking back at the animal, followed by a close up of the horse's face. Burns starts to climb again but stops after two steps and slowly descends the rock back down again.

Burns, with a furrowed expression on his face, walks back to the horse and bends down to undo the leg straps as he mutters, "You're worse than a woman."

"What the hell," he says to himself in a moment that brings tears to my eyes as he has decided to not abandon Whiskey.

Burns, in putting his freedom, and possibly even his life, on the line out of his love for an animal has given us a screen moment with which a lot of film viewers will identify, I suspect, as they cheer him on.

For this simple but heart breaking and inspirational scene I want to thank Kirk Douglas, director David Miller, screenwriter Dalton Trumbo and, oh, yes, Whiskey, the horse.

LatB7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just re-watched The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.  I believe that it was one of Kirk's first films, if not his actual first film.  It's such an interesting film and I loved that you never really knew what side Kirk was on.

My friends (who enjoy classic film like I do, but aren't as knowledgeable about it as I am) wanted to watch a Kirk Douglas film.  I recommended Ace in the Hole.  They rented it and loved it.  I found that that film is just as timely now as it was in 1951 when it was made.

You would never guess and 30 million years that THAT WIMP in MARTHA IVERS would be killing it in CHAMPION three years later...or even OUT OF THE PAST the next.

ACE IN THE HOLE is INCREDIBLE. I really wish that Jan Sterling had managed to sneak into the best actress category that year.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You would never guess and 30 million years that THAT WIMP in MARTHA IVERS would be killing it in CHAMPION three years later...or even OUT OF THE PAST the next.

ACE IN THE HOLE is INCREDIBLE. I really wish that Jan Sterling had managed to sneak into the best actress category that year.

Yes, Kirk was so great in ACE IN THE HOLE,, as was Jan.

As good as he was in DETECTIVE STORY, I thought he was even better in ACE, he should have gotten his Oscar nod that year for that one (though I know ACE IN THE HOLE was a box-office flop that year).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quite a range in that guy.  Could play deep, shallow, nice, rotten, drama and comedy with equal aplomb.  I thought '63's FOR LOVE OR MONEY was pretty funny.  But then, I was still 12 at the time,  and with awakening hormones,  paid a bit more attention to MITZI GAYNOR  than Kirk.  ;)  But then too, was more used to seeing Kirk Douglas in more serious movies.   

Sepiatone

Only  thing I will add at this late date is that his own fav role was '62's modern day western, darn it forget the title right now?

I used to like him too

He even moved in on her street-(canon dr.) only celebs on that rd. & had all the time planned to be interred in the empty plot nxt to her, but daughter NATASHA GREGSON WAGNER saved the day & somehow bout it up-(Westwood)

LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is it

& women especially thought he was taller then 5'9, he even did a comedy skit on SNL in he mid '70's about this.

HOLLYWOOD IS SMOKE & MIRRORS

• Confused 1
49 minutes ago, spence said:

& women especially thought he was taller then 5'9, he even did a comedy skit on SNL in he mid '70's about this.

Douglas was one of the all-time best guest hosts on "Saturday Night Live" when he appeared on the February 23, 1980 edition. SNL used to do "What If" segments (i.e. "What if Superman grew up in Germany instead of America?").

When Douglas hosted, they addressed the question "What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?"  Douglas appeared as his classic gladiator character in a small airplane dropping bombs from above on the ancient Roman legions. Bill Murray played the pilot of the Piper Cub.

See the source image

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

As people now understand, the fact that Natalie Wood signed Kirk's slab is not evidence of anything.

what do you mean?

2 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Douglas was one of the all-time best guest hosts on "Saturday Night Live" when he appeared on the February 23, 1980 edition. SNL used to do "What If" segments (i.e. "What if Superman grew up in Germany instead of America?").

When Douglas hosted, they addressed the classic question "What if Spartacus had Piper Cub?" It showed Douglas as his classic gladiator character in a small airplane dropping bombs on the ancient Roman legions from above. Bill Murray played the pilot of the Piper Cub.

See the source image

SNL (l975-80) Especially when Belushi was at the helm. Is easily in my own opinion one of the 5 greatest shows of all-time! Now, it's staggeringly awful!

as a kid I had the first & I think only actual BLUES BROTHERS album, but think it got stolen

TRIVIA: Only 3 SNL members have been up for Oscars  Bill Murray in a film I love Lost in Translation, Aykroyd, Miss Daisy & Murphy in Dreamgirls

Bill shoulda earned a supporting nom for Rushmore (l998) He & Chevy Chase are still enemies despite the 1 scene in CADDYSHACK.

Bill once almost flattened him in the halls of the bldg. way back

11 minutes ago, spence said:

TRIVIA: Only 3 SNL members have been up for Oscars  Bill Murray in a film I love Lost in Translation, Aykroyd, Miss Daisy & Murphy in Dreamgirls

Apparently you've forgotten that George Coe, Randy Quaid, Robert Downey, Jr., Joan Cusack, Michael McKean, Laurie Metcalf and Kristen Wiig have all been SNL regulars -- and Oscar nominees in various categories. And Downey and Cusack were nominated twice for acting.

Image result for snl oscar nominees

6 hours ago, spence said:

what do you mean?

I mean that the fact that Natalie signed Kirk's personal home walk of fame is not evidence that he didn't

assault her. We now know that friendly behavior between a victim and her victimizer is possible, however

contradictory that seems to common sense.