Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor-producer-author Kirk Douglas (1916-2020)


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Rumors become part of an actor or really any celebrity's life, not a major part but they trail around them. It's really

another aspect of the Hollywood hype machinery, which works both ways, good and bad. And movie stars are part 

of the machinery, good and bad. Some folks are more interested in some rumors than other folks. I find nothing wrong

with that. And while Natalie's story is a rumor, Kirk's serial adultery, which apparently was okay with his second

wife, is fact and doesn't make him look very good. 

It doesn't make YOU look very good continually bringing up an unproven accusation on a thread designed to pay respects to him now that he has died.

Be interested in rumors all you like, but regardless of how you feel about Kirk, you could at least stay off this thread meant to pay respects after his passing and go start a new thread where you can post to your heart's content over and over again how he could have raped Natalie Wood.

And also serial adultery does NOT make one a rapist, nor does it prove one is a rapist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Rumors become part . . .

You are clearly deriving some kind of perverse pleasure in continuing to come back and pursue this subject even after a number of posters have said this thread is intended as a tribute to Kirk Douglas, not a place to discuss unproven rumours about him.

As far as I'm concerned the issue now has nothing to do with Kirk and everything to do with you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of us are familiar with many of the big film titles in Kirk Douglas's career. But I have a list here of some of his lesser known film titles that I enjoyed and would recommend. There's far more to Kirk's career than Spartacus and Lust for Life.

THE BIG SKY (1952)

Contemplative, outdoor western about fur trappers on the Missouri River, directed by Howard Hawks.

The-Big-Sky-Kirk-Douglas-Dewey-Martin.jp

THE JUGGLER (1953)

Sensitive story of a concentration camp survivor arriving in the new state of Israel after the war. Kirk gives a sensitive performance as a psychologically damaged man fearful of authority figures.

88794d72b0a55a4ae22511b7544bc16a.jpg

MAN WITHOUT A STAR (1955)

Rollicking western with Kirk most charming and even doing some singing with a guitar. He plays a roaming free spirit who hates barbed wire. This is a good one.

dfd76490125f6ea394937a04d24cf249.jpg

THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE (1959)

Adaption of the Shaw play, with Kirk as rebellious Dick Dudgeon. Solid cast includes Burt Lancaster and Laurence Olivier. Filmed in England.

MV5BNDNiYTZhMzMtYjRjYi00ZTY2LTkyMTMtNjA0

THE HOOK (1963)

Thoughtful Korean War tale, with solid performances.

MV5BNDlmNjc0OTAtZDQ1NC00M2QxLThiZWItNWI2

THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER (1963)

Gimmicky but fun mystery thriller with an all star cast. Kirk dons disguises in this one, as do other cast members. George C. Scott is out to solve a murder mystery involving various victims. John Huston directed.

MV5BMjhmYTZiNTYtMmVlNC00OTYwLWExMDQtYTAy

THE WAR WAGON (1967)

Fun, unpretentious western involving the planned robbery of a stagecoach. Kirk teamed with the Duke, with Kirk leaping on his horse a lot in showboat fashion.

88W7xvgh4ttQTF1CEw-onB6GbtbQfUGOILZB9n0L

THE BROTHERHOOD (1968)

Mafia tale and an interesting one, with solid performances. This film bombed at the box office four years before The Godfather's release.

u-g-Q1C21BP0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN (1970)

Cynical western with a big cast and Kirk in charming rat form. Henry Fonda, Hume Cronyn are among his co players.

89827789d80d3dab21a07d0075912160.jpg

MOUSEY (aka Cat and Mouse) (1974)

Kirk delivers a fine performance as an insignificant repressed little man who turns psychotic. A made for TV feature with one of Kirk's best post 60s performances.

51pz6JiFUZL._AC_.jpg

AMOS (1985)

Kirk plays an elderly man committed to a seniors residence which is run by a nurse who disposes of patients when they become a financial burden to the place in this made for TV feature. Sensitive work by Kirk with a chilling performance by Elizabeth Montgomery as a Nurse Ratched type (except far deadlier).

hqdefault.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirk Douglas' love interest in AMOS is played by Dorothy McGuire. They both do a very nice job acting together. 

Screen shot 2018-01-20 at 4.10.33 PM.png

And yes, Elizabeth Montgomery is the villain of the piece.

Screen shot 2018-01-20 at 4.02.24 PM.png

Kirk's character is a baseball fan, which explains what he's wearing.

Screen shot 2018-01-20 at 4.06.28 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing AMOS once a long time ago....I suppose it was the closest that Kirk came to playing Randal MacMurphy (though with a different name). I remember despising Elizabeth's nurse as well (she almost made the real deal Nurse Ratched look like a saint.....ALMOST that is).  Great acting from both of them, especially from Liz, no trace of Samantha Stevens in here.

I quite enjoy THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN, interesting to see Kirk and Henry Fonda in the same movie together. Also loved the ending as well. Kirk plays a likable heel, until you realize what his real intentions are and how far he will go to get what he wants.

THE WAR WAGON is really quite a fun film, and I love the interplay between Kirk and John Wayne.

Also like THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE, but then I always liked any movie that had Kirk and Burt costarring together.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Perhaps people were hoping you'd have some consideration for what others may find appropriate. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should.

Then again, it's also possible that you were simply looking for the attention that this has given you. Stirring the pot, as they say.

Calling attention to oneself goes against everything Kirk Douglas stood for.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

It doesn't make YOU look very good continually bringing up an unproven accusation on a thread designed to pay respects to him now that he has died.

Be interested in rumors all you like, but regardless of how you feel about Kirk, you could at least stay off this thread meant to pay respects after his passing and go start a new thread where you can post to your heart's content over and over again how he could have raped Natalie Wood.

And also serial adultery does NOT make one a rapist, nor does it prove one is a rapist.

I'm just discussing this aspect of Mr. Douglas as other people discuss other aspects of his life. Opinions will differ

as they often do.  The rumor about Natalie Wood was brought up on the first day of the post by someone else so

it was already in the air so to speak. My point was not that serial adultery makes one a rapist, only that the adultery

was a fact, the rape was a rumor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TomJH said:

You are clearly deriving some kind of perverse pleasure in continuing to come back and pursue this subject even after a number of posters have said this thread is intended as a tribute to Kirk Douglas, not a place to discuss unproven rumours about him.

As far as I'm concerned the issue now has nothing to do with Kirk and everything to do with you.

If posters want to discuss Kirk Douglas' career, that's fine. If someone wants to discuss another aspect of his life,

that's fine also. Everyone will have their own take. I likely have a more jaded view than some posters about movie stars

and so while I enjoyed a number of Kirk Douglas films, I don't feel any particular connection to him. Besides it helps

while away the hours until Green Acres comes on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

If posters want to discuss Kirk Douglas' career, that's fine. If someone wants to discuss another aspect of his life,

that's fine also. Everyone will have their own take. I likely have a more jaded view than some posters about movie stars

and so while I enjoyed a number of Kirk Douglas films, I don't feel any particular connection to him. Besides it helps

while away the hours until Green Acres comes on.

Yeah, well, say what ya want about Kirk here Vautrin, but I hear-tell HE at least voted in every major election anyway! 

And in MY book, the sheer act of performing THIS civic responsibility ALONE can make up for a lot of personality flaws people might have.

(...nope, I never quit, huh!) ;)

LOL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, say what ya want about Kirk here Vautrin, but I hear-tell HE at least voted in every major election anyway! 

And in MY book, the sheer act of performing THIS civic responsibility ALONE can make up for a lot of personality flaws people might have.

(...nope, I never quit, huh!) ;)

LOL

Persistence, my man, persistence. That's the spirit. But how do we actually know Kirk voted in every major election.

That could just be a rumor. This may be self interested, but I would put not voting far down on the list of bad acts,

close to jaywalking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Persistence, my man, persistence. That's the spirit. But how do we actually know Kirk voted in every major election.

That could just be a rumor. This may be self interested, but I would put not voting far down on the list of bad acts,

close to jaywalking. 

Ah, if only not voting could be cited as a public infraction like Jaywalking is (and as not voting is in Australia), I'd be a happy camper. 

(...btw, of course I don't know if Kirk actually voted in every major election...I was just being "persistent" and rather clever, if I do say so myself, by bringing that up again here, that's all...and also hoped by doing so, I'd get you off this whole "in overview, Kirk Douglas wasn't a very nice person" thing" you seem "persistent" about in this thread) ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Persistence, my man, persistence. That's the spirit. But how do we actually know Kirk voted in every major election.

That could just be a rumor. This may be self interested, but I would put not voting far down on the list of bad acts,

close to jaywalking. 

Douglas and his wife were involved in numerous volunteer and philanthropic activities. They traveled to more than 40 countries, at their own expense, to act as goodwill ambassadors for the U.S. Information Agency, speaking to audiences about why democracy works and what freedom means.[104] In 1980, Douglas flew to Cairo to talk with Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. For all his goodwill efforts, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Jimmy Carter in 1981.[105] At the ceremony, Carter said that Douglas had "done this in a sacrificial way, almost invariably without fanfare and without claiming any personal credit or acclaim for himself."[124] In subsequent years, Douglas testified before Congress about elder abuse.[7

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some FACTS. Obviously Kirk cared very much about world affairs, sounds like he obviously voted in elections since he and and wife traveled to 40 coumtries AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE as Goodwill Ambassadors  .He received the Presidential Metal of Freedom from President Jimmy Carter on 1981.. And That's NOT A RUMOR or GOSSIP, THOSE ARE FACTS

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know that Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were such good friends! I like Burt Lancaster too. I'll need to seek out some more of their pairings together.  I've seen I Walk Alone and I really enjoyed that film. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I didn't know that Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were such good friends! I like Burt Lancaster too. I'll need to seek out some more of their pairings together.  I've seen I Walk Alone and I really enjoyed that film. 

It’s been a while but I remember that Tough Guys was pretty funny. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6b16edd8-2145-41c2-b01a-bc45b53b45f5.jpg

I like this shot taken during  the making of The Devil's Disciple. The following year Kirk and Olivier would be opposing one another once again in Spartacus.

ce320fa070f4b78131589c252c212bbd.jpg

Stanley Kubrick with Douglas on the battlefield set of Paths of Glory

64f576a674bc75a810208b1f4176c5a2.jpg

Kirk and Kubrick again, this time making Spartacus. Perfectionist Kubrick wouldn't enjoy the experience of making this film with  producer Douglas. Sorry, Stanley, you two still made a great epic even if it's not a "pure" Kubrick film.

chaney-douglas-laugh-indian-fighter_opt.

Kirk sharing a laugh with Lon Chaney at their Oregon location site for The Indian Fighter. They definitely weren't smiling at each other like this in the film.

6c3e735d1e8187bc3952f310ab7d8859.jpg

Kirk visiting the Ben Hur set. Burt Lancaster claimed he turned down the title role but what about casting Kirk? Ah, well, he'd soon be Spartacus.

c286d93c114b142ecbfec2ede6f1203c.jpg

This shot is from The Milton Berle Show in 1962. But dig Benny on the left. Ain't he cute? Yeh, I know, "Now cut that out!"

156511654.jpg

Proud Dad

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

 

c286d93c114b142ecbfec2ede6f1203c.jpg

This shot is from The Milton Berle Show in 1962. But dig Benny on the left. Ain't he cute? Yeh, I know, "Now cut that out!"

 

Hey...who's that on the left holding Milton Berle?:ph34r:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

It’s been a while but I remember that Tough Guys was pretty funny. 

I've never heard of this film, I'll need to keep an eye out for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I know. I was razzing Tom, since he has a previously-declared aversion to Mr. Harvey.

That's a relief! I was beginning to wonder if you were getting senile. :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ah, if only not voting could be cited as a public infraction like Jaywalking is (and as not voting is in Australia), I'd be a happy camper. 

(...btw, of course I don't know if Kirk actually voted in every major election...I was just being "persistent" and rather clever, if I do say so myself, by bringing that up again here, that's all...and also hoped by doing so, I'd get you off this whole "in overview, Kirk Douglas wasn't a very nice person" thing" you seem "persistent" about in this thread) ;) 

I'm glad I don't live in that land down under. I'd be broke. Thank goodness I reside in the freedom loving USA where

lazy bums like myself aren't forced to vote. He might have been a nice person or not. With the Hollywood hype

machine, who can tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...