Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Washington Post's Take On "Who Should Have Won Best Picture"

23 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I saw Forrest Gump for the first time a couple years ago and I thought it was awful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lydecker said:

That was the year Pulp Fiction, Quentin Tarantino and John Travolta should have won.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lydecker said:

I'm absolutely not a fan of Tom Hanks on any level.

At the time "Forrest Gump" was in the movie theaters I was "trapped" on a transatlantic airplane flight.

It was one of those deals where there was only one movie and you were forced to watch it --

whether you wanted to or not if you couldn't fall asleep.

Well, I watched it and I have to say that it was one of the best performances that I had seen in a long time. Plus the film had a plethora of profound messages that needed to be heard in the United States then--as well as now.

I don't know anyone who doesn't really like that movie or at least think that it was extremely entertaining.

Since I wouldn't pay to see a Tom Hanks movie I think my evaluation is rather objective. 

Interesting article, and of course everyone has his/her own opinion about these things.  I agree on some, disagree on others.  

One thing that bothered me a bit is the author mentioning numerous times  that now some winning films seem dated or "didn't hold up" so therefore didn't deserve to win. But at the time they are voting, I doubt many Academy members consider that as a factor:  will this film seem too dated 20, 30, 40 years from now?  At the time, they probably seemed particularly relevant.  

I do concur about Network and Raging Bull.  

I have unpopular opinions on some: I like Chariots of Fire.  I enjoyed Forrest Gump.  And I really, really thought Crash was terrific.  Crash haters go at it.  The gay cowboy movie was fine, but over rated.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Interesting article, and of course everyone has his/her own opinion about these things.  I agree on some, disagree on others.  

One thing that bothered me a bit is the author mentioning numerous times  that now some winning films seem dated or "didn't hold up" so therefore didn't deserve to win. But at the time they are voting, I doubt many Academy members consider that as a factor:  will this film seem too dated 20, 30, 40 years from now?  At the time, they probably seemed particularly relevant.  

I do concur about Network and Raging Bull.  

I have unpopular opinions on some: I like Chariots of FireI enjoyed Forrest Gump.  And I really, really thought Crash was terrific.  Crash haters go at it.  The gay cowboy movie was fine, but over rated.

It seems to be an unpopular opinion on the bds. but  I enjoyed Forrest Gump very much and I still like this film .

10 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

And I really, really thought Crash was terrific.  Crash haters go at it.  The gay cowboy movie was fine, but over rated.

Totally agree with you on "Crash."  I liked it. So there's 2 of us! And since there's been so much vitriol about it over the years I decided to see it again recently.  Thought it was fine.  As for   "Brokeback Mountain"   --  it was ok, but nothing special.  I think a lot of people were caught up in the "Gay Cowboys, How Daring Is That!?"  theme and it clouded their opinion of the film.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It seems to be an unpopular opinion on the bds. but  I enjoyed Forrest Gump very much and I still like this film .

I liked Forrest Gump as well. It wasn't until I started reading movie discussions on the internet that I started running into people who disliked it. Loathed it, even. I know some in the entertainment media keep pushing the Forrest Gump vs Pulp Fiction argument, but I liked both movies. And I would have given the Best Picture Oscar to The Shawshank Redemption

• Like 4
Just now, lydecker said:

Totally agree with you on "Crash."  I liked it. So there's 2 of us! And since there's been so much vitriol about it over the years I decided to see it again recently.  Thought it was fine.  As for   "Brokeback Mountain"   --  it was ok, but nothing special.  I think a lot of people were caught up in the "Gay Cowboys, How Daring Is That!?"  theme and it clouded their opinion of the film.

I liked Crash, as well. I haven't seen it since it was released, though.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I liked Forrest Gump as well. It wasn't until I started reading movie discussions on the internet that I started running into people who disliked it. Loathed it, even. I know some in the entertainment media keep pushing the Forrest Gump vs Pulp Fiction argument, but I liked both movies. But I would have given the Best Picture Oscar to The Shawshank Redemption

"The Shawshank Redemption" would have gotten my vote, too.  I can see that movie anytime and it never fails to move me and entertain me.  

• Like 1

I am in total agreement with the author's assessment of 1981.  "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is an amazing, non-stop adventure with a great star (along with several excellent supporting actors) which you can still watch 39 years later and love it!  One of my all-time favorites. "Chariots" is a pretentious bore, "On Golden Pond," sentimental dreck and as great as Fonda and Hepburn were back in the day this is not the film they should be remembered for. "Reds" and "Atlantic City" have their moments but, to me, "Raiders" should have ruled at the 1981 Oscars. 

From the Washington Post:  

1981: Nominees: Atlantic City, Chariots of Fire, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Reds

Best Picture winner: Chariots of Fire

The actual best picture: Raiders of the Lost Ark

And so the Oscars began its hopeless love affair with “prestige” pics — posh British accents, period costumes and vaguely noble-seeming themes. And thus it missed the chance to reward the movie that raised the bar for action-adventure and special effects, launched Harrison Ford as the most important star of the 1980s, and remains an absolutely thrilling film to this day.

50 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I liked Forrest Gump as well. It wasn't until I started reading movie discussions on the internet that I started running into people who disliked it. Loathed it, even. I know some in the entertainment media keep pushing the Forrest Gump vs Pulp Fiction argument, but I liked both movies. And I would have given the Best Picture Oscar to The Shawshank Redemption

I would have given the Oscar to The Shawshank Redemption over 'Gump' and Pulp Fiction as well. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lydecker said:

And so the Oscars began its hopeless love affair with “prestige” pics — posh British accents, period costumes and vaguely noble-seeming themes. And thus it missed the chance to reward the movie that raised the bar for action-adventure and special effects, launched Harrison Ford as the most important star of the 1980s, and remains an absolutely thrilling film to this day.

Didn't that love affair really start in the 1960s, to be interrupted by 1970s grittiness, and then re-kindled in the 1980s?

Here's a list of the Best Picture winners in the 60s:

• The Apartment
  • West Side Story
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Tom Jones
  • My Fair Lady
  • The Sound of Music
  • A Man For All Seasons
  • In the Heat of the Night
  • Oliver!
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I would have gone Quiz Show, Robert Redford, and Morgan Freeman there.

I liked Quiz Show, and Ralph Fiennes and John Turturro were excellent in it, but for me it's undone by Rob Morrow's lead performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lydecker said:

I couldn't stand Crash.... but i didn't see Brokeback, and another nominee Good Night or Good luck ended up being a rather sleepy film. I'd go Capote that year over Munich, but its one of the best Picture lineups I don't care to dwell on so much.

My ranking of the nominated 1988 films:

1. Rain Man
  2. Dangerous Liaisons
  3. Mississippi Burning
  4. The Accidental Tourist
  5. Working Girl

My personal top 5 of 1988:

1. The Naked Gun
  2. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
  3. Midnight Run
  4. Die Hard
  5. Coming to America
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BIG  is NOT the best picture of 1988.

I am posting an image (arranged by release date, not by personal rating) of the films I saw from 1988....

C2nRpqC.jpg

Big would rank maybe under 20 of these. Not even close to being the top.

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I am posting an image (arranged by release date, not by personal rating) of the films I saw from 1988....

I would, but I've seen 267 movies from 1988, so it would be a big picture (no pun intended).

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I couldn't stand Crash.... but i didn't see Brokeback, and another nominee Good Night or Good luck ended up being a rather sleepy film. I'd go Capote that year over Munich, but its one of the best Picture lineups I don't care to dwell on so much.

I just saw Good Night and Good Luck recently.  That was a great film! 

25 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

My ranking of the nominated 1988 films:

1. Rain Man
  2. Dangerous Liaisons
  3. Mississippi Burning
  4. The Accidental Tourist
  5. Working Girl

My personal top 5 of 1988:

1. The Naked Gun
  2. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
  3. Midnight Run
  4. Die Hard
  5. Coming to America

I love The Naked Gun.

"I practice safe sex."

"So do I."  (She walks in wearing a giant c o n d o m) *.  LOL. 

* Apparently Otto practices VERY safe sex.  You cannot even type c o n d o m.

I also love Coming to America.

"Let your souuuuuuuul glowwwww." 

My personal top 5 for 1988:

1) The Naked Gun (I was going to put Coming to America here, because I'd forgotten about Naked Gun)

2) Coming to America

3) Beetlejuice

4) The Great Outdoors (the one flaw being that they saved the girls from the cave). More bear, less kids would have improved that film.

5) Cocktail (except for the bummer suicide part)

• Thanks 1