Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lydecker

Washington Post's Take On "Who Should Have Won Best Picture"

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I am posting an image (arranged by release date, not by personal rating) of the films I saw from 1988....

C2nRpqC.jpg

Big would rank maybe under 20 of these. Not even close to being the top.

I am on my phone, so I can’t make out a lot of these images.
BUT...
there needed to be a feminist revisionist sequel to BIG (1988) where ELIZABETH PERKINS’s character is sent to a mental institution for telling her therapist that she is racked with guilt over a statutory rape she committed on a 12-year-old boy because he was, at the time, in the body of a 30-year-old man. 
SERIOUSLY, I was 10 years old when I saw BIG and that aspect of the movie bothered me A LOT even then.

7 hours ago, lydecker said:

disagree on Gump like it a lot (***1/2) & predicted it's sweep that yr but a couple other flix that year I liked better

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think HEATHERS was 1989.

It was 7 as terrific as it is-(huge WINONA FAN) it only made $1m. & better then Mean Girls too

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BUT...
there needed to be a feminist revisionist sequel to BIG (1988) where ELIZABETH PERKINS’s character is sent to a mental institution for telling her therapist that she is racked with guilt over a statutory rape she committed on a 12-year-old boy because he was, at the time, in the body of a 30-year-old man. 
SERIOUSLY, I was 10 years old when I saw BIG and that aspect of the movie bothered me A LOT even then.

good idea

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I love The Naked Gun.

"I practice safe sex."

"So do I."  (She walks in wearing a giant c o n d o m) *.  LOL. 

* Apparently Otto practices VERY safe sex.  You cannot even type c o n d o m.

I also love Coming to America.

"Let your souuuuuuuul glowwwww." 

My personal top 5 for 1988:

1) The Naked Gun (I was going to put Coming to America here, because I'd forgotten about Naked Gun)

2) Coming to America

3) Beetlejuice

4) The Great Outdoors (the one flaw being that they saved the girls from the cave). More bear, less kids would have improved that film.

5) Cocktail (except for the bummer suicide part)

What about Roger Rabbit?

2 hours ago, spence said:

What about Roger Rabbit?

Meh. I like the ride at Disneyland better than the movie. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think HEATHERS was 1989.

Heathers is 1988. 

I also love that movie. It’s so delightfully weird and morbid. 

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Heathers is 1988. 

I also love that movie. It’s so delightfully weird and morbid. 

According to IMDb and wiki, it’s 1989. 

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I see 89 on IMDB, Wiki says 1988. Rotten Tomatoes says 1988.  But I see both dates all over the internet. 

It looks like the movie originally premiered in Italy in 1988, but wasn't released in the US until 1989.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

your correct, she was in Beetlejuice in '88, man did she change fast

cool how Slater did a Nicholson impersonation in it too

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BUT...

Lot younger then myself I was 23  A '88 film Hanks delivered a powerful per in that year was Punchline opposite Sally Field as well

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Meh. I like the ride at Disneyland better than the movie. 

Hanks said on his THE MOVIES CNN special that due to all the technical aspects it was the most difficult film yet made!

I remember Ebert & Siskel & others were furious it wasn't up for BP & BD but did win 4 Oscars

Given this era al;ways surprised there wasn't a sequel, probably because it was so hard to make

(P.S. Sadly, Hoskins is already gone at just age 71 in 2014, he was all set to play Al Capone in THE UNTOUCHABLES, but De Niro became available   SEE: Long good Friday, Mona Lisa & Cotton Club)

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The lead Heather died of a brain tumor very young, blonde gal

odd. the wikipedia LINK for their article refers to HEATHERS as a 1989 film by Michael Lehman, and then the article calls it a 1988 film in the intro.

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

odd. the wikipedia LINK for their article refers to HEATHERS as a 1989 film by Michael Lehman, and then the article calls it a 1988 film in the intro.

Maltin's book even cites it as '89, she also had Great Balls of Fire that year

Not nearly as much as NATALIE OR MADONNA, I'M A BIT OF A WINONA STUDENT

Winona Laura Horowitz

• Thanks 1

My favorite 1988 movie was The Accidental Tourist.  And it did get a Best Picture Oscar nod.  Geena Davis  won the Supporting Actress Oscar.  it also got nominations for Adapted Screenplay and Original Score, but no Best Director nom for Lawrence Kasdan or Best Actor nom for William Hurt.

Interesting range of emotions here.  I'd like to read an explanation of PRINCESS's dislike of TOM HANKS.  Always seemed to do fine work to me, anyway.  And as for FORREST GUMP,  anyone who's read the book would probably agree the movie Forrest is a much more likable guy, and the movie also tells a better story.  And I feel his performance in PHILADELPHIA  did deserve all the kudos it received.  

And SPENCE....?

Due to it just being a movie, and a fantasy plot to begin with, there really shouldn't have been ANY intelligent sounding reason for anyone to be bothered by Elisabeth Perkins' relationship with what was essentially  seen as a child like 30 year old man.  "Feminist/revisionist sequel"?  Get serious, man.

And while I thought CRASH was OK, I did think it a bit cliche riddled and overrated.   And as far as "Best Picture" nominations for '94 are concerned, ............

SHAWSHANK maybe should have got the win, but at least THE HUDSUCKER PROXY was worthy of mention.  But money talks, and enough might have been passed around to critics to pan the skewering satire of "big business" capitalism.  

I thought Tom Hanks was like a present-day Jimmy Stewart.  Everybody liked him.  

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

My favorite 1988 movie was The Accidental Tourist.  And it did get a Best Picture Oscar nod.  Geena Davis  won the Supporting Actress Oscar.  it also got nominations for Adapted Screenplay and Original Score, but no Best Director nom for Lawrence Kasdan or Best Actor nom for William Hurt.

i recall GEENA being an UPSET WINNER, everyone assumed SIGOURNEY WEAVER would get it for WORKING GIRL because she was double nominated for that and GORILLAS IN THE MIST.

I find with Tom Hanks, while I don't dislike him per se, I never see his films more than once.  I also usually find that he's not my favorite part of the film.  I liked Cast Away, but thought that Wilson delivered the best performance.  I also liked Saving Mr. Banks but that was more for Emma Thompson.  The only part of Forrest Gump that I liked was Sally Field. 

1 hour ago, spence said:

The lead Heather died of a brain tumor very young, blonde gal

That was Heather Chandler.  Poor Heather Duke (Shannen Doherty) is suffering from stage 4 breast cancer.

honest to god, for me, TOM HANKS'S finest acting moment is in THE MONEY PIT where his character is stuck in a rug that has sunken into a hole in the second floor of his fixer-upper from hell house for SEVERAL HOURS and is delirious and hallucinating and thinks that THE SMURFS have been visiting.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i recall GEENA being an UPSET WINNER, everyone assumed SIGOURNEY WEAVER would get it for WORKING GIRL because she was double nominated for that and GORILLAS IN THE MIST.

Sigourney Weaver was the first actor/actress nominated twice in the same year not to win for one of them. That dubious feat was later also achieved by Emma Thompson in 1993, Julianne Moore in 2002, and Cate Blanchett in 2007. Scarlett Johansson will likely join their ranks tomorrow night.