Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lydecker

Washington Post's Take On "Who Should Have Won Best Picture"

18 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Hmm, you also had Die Hard out there and The Accused, the dingo getting the baby in A Cry in the Dark, the starvation factor in Grave of the Fireflies, the mind games of Dangerous liaisons and Zelly and Me, the wildlife slaughter in Gorillas in the Mist, pretty much all of Heathers, the high racist activity in Mississippi Burning,  and the human hunt scene in Betrayed, but I'd say thaTt at the time most didn't notice, since all the controversy was directed at The Last Temptation of Christ.

although, I AGAIN CONTEND that HEATHERS is 1989.

however, i would add the BAZOOKA BARFING SCENE FROM WITCHES OF EASTWICK, the rerelease of BAMBI and  CADDYSHACK II and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PIPPI LONGSTOCKING to your comprehensive list of cinema cruelties of 1988.

(IF YOU ASK "WHY THE LAST TWO?" I WILL TAKE IT THAT YOU HAVE NOT SEEN EITHER.)

we're also supposed to root for basically the villain in WORKING GIRL.  I mean, at least the EVE HARRINGTON.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, speedracer5 said:

I see 89 on IMDB, Wiki says 1988. Rotten Tomatoes says 1988.  But I see both dates all over the internet. 

It looks like the movie originally premiered in Italy in 1988, but wasn't released in the US until 1989.

According to Inside Oscar, Heathers was eligible (but not nominated) for the 1989 Academy Awards.

• Thanks 1

Heathers premiered in the US in March of 1989. I remember because I went that night and multiple times thereafter to fully appreciate its perverse brilliance. 

I can't find any info on why it would have opened in Italy in 1988.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:24 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

although, I AGAIN CONTEND that HEATHERS is 1989.

however, i would add the BAZOOKA BARFING SCENE FROM WITCHES OF EASTWICK, the rerelease of BAMBI and  CADDYSHACK II and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PIPPI LONGSTOCKING to your comprehensive list of cinema cruelties of 1988.

(IF YOU ASK "WHY THE LAST TWO?" I WILL TAKE IT THAT YOU HAVE NOT SEEN EITHER.)

we're also supposed to root for basically the villain in WORKING GIRL.  I mean, at least the EVE HARRINGTON.

I saw Pippi when I was very young. I liked the opening credit theme song....but I have no desire to see the film again. Did not see Caddyshack II, and from all accounts probably fortunate about that. Working Girl is kind of an inverse of All About Eve, the only difference being that the Margo Channing character steals the Eve character's idea and bungles her chances of a better life, or so as it was supposed to go. That said, I always liked Working Girl, and Joan Cusack's supporting turn is a great joy. It's also the first R rated movie I ever saw. It's kind of embarassing how young I was when I saw it: 4 years old.

But 1988 is, despite cruelity in films, rather a fascinating year looking back. I really miss years like it (While dealing with some recent films, the ones I'm not big on at least, I  find myself longing for the 80s and 90s, both of which I love.). They had a lot of good films that year, and there was a true variety to what was being put out that year. 

• Thanks 2

I was going to note the same thing about Eve and Working Girl.

Margo didn't deserve what Eve did to her. She was from a humble background and achieved success through talent and hard work.

Katharine Parker was the opposite.  She came from wealth and privilege (probably how she got her job at the investment bank) and got by on style over substance.  The scenes of her in the work place show her ineptitude with the actual work.  She deserved the comeuppance she received from Tess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, txfilmfan said:

She did run hot and cold.  It was usually Barney's fault when she was mad.  He was always trying to get them married, or started some battle of the sexes.

Thelma Lou started some arguments too. LOL.

On 2/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, Roy Cronin said:

I was going to note the same thing about Eve and Working Girl.

Margo didn't deserve what Eve did to her. She was from a humble background and achieved success through talent and hard work.

Katharine Parker was the opposite.  She came from wealth and privilege (probably how she got her job at the investment bank) and got by on style over substance.  The scenes of her in the work place show her ineptitude with the actual work.  She deserved the comeuppance she received from Tess.

You could even think of these two movies as modern retellings of fairy tales, RoyCronin! Working Girl is, no doubt, a modern repositioning of the tale of Cinderella. But I think that All About Eve is a far-less macabre retelling of the Goose Girl story. Ordinary woman takes over for a woman of stature and masquerades as that other woman, easily fooling all of the people around her while the first woman attempts in vain to warn her friends about the ruse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I saw Pippi when I was very young. I liked the opening credit theme song....but I have no desire to see the film again. Did not see Caddyshack II, and from all accounts probably fortunate about that. Working Girl is kind of an inverse of All About Eve, the only difference being that the Margo Channing character steals the Eve character's idea and bungles her chances of a better life, or so as it was supposed to go. That said, I always liked Working Girl, and Joan Cusack's supporting turn is a great joy. It's also the first R rated movie I ever saw. It's kind of embarassing how young I was when I saw it: 4 years old.

But 1988 is, despite cruelity in films, rather a fascinating year looking back. I really miss years like it (While dealing with some recent films, the ones I'm not big on at least, I  find myself longing for the 80s and 90s, both of which I love.). They had a lot of good films that year, and there was a true variety to what was being put out that year. 

As I sad your 100 right in HEATHERS being a '89m  a fun story about Slater as JD in it, since he did such a dead on NICHOLSON for the terrific flick, he was with a girl one night & told he he knew JACK & went even further to impress her by calling NICHOLSON up at his MULHOLLAND DR mansion-(still lives there by the way)  Well, JACK actually picked up the phone & slater went into his own JACK impersonation from HEATHERS & all he recalls is JACK cracking up on the other end

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thelma Lou started some arguments too. LOL.

Lol.  One of my favorite Thelma Lou moments is her constantly reminding everyone about Barney's singing ability (or lack thereof) in the episode where he's in the choir.

"But [Barney] can't sing!" I think she says it as least 3 times if not more.  It's like Andy and "Just call the man" in the freezer episode.

I saw the "CALL THE MAN" episode just a few wks ago! LOL.

• Haha 1

Raise any hands if you though, or even if you dis't think 05's boxing bio CINDERELLA MAN by Ron Howard-(got to hang out with him & a few members of the cast during filming during the god awful august heat of COCOON about 8hrs one  day It was-(or some of it) was actually shot right next door to my apt complex in st. pete,fl   Even walked  him to his limo at the end of this day.  And typical of people ruining things, went the next day with a pal o'mine & everything was ok again then came in a family or 2 in their beach clothes, s the chucke'd the lot and all had to leave!  Did get Ron's autograoh n the fmr day, Jessica Tandy, Gwen Verdon, M. Stapleton, Guttenberg, Tahnee welch-(so tiny compared to her famous mom)

Anyway, I've seen C. MAN many times since going to it that year & still find it perfecto anyone agree & only garnered airy 3 Oscar shots<P, Giamatti, Make-Up & Art-Direction? And  it grossed $62m

Not that it's RAGING BULL, but something was off in my own opinion again in the nominating system of the Academy that year> matter or fact the media kept asking Crowe about the Oscars at it's release

THANX

CALL THE MAN,  Aunt Bee,  just CALL THE MAN!!!

• Haha 2

BTW, if we were just going from the pool of nominees for each of these years from 1980 onward [like the article], what would we have all picked?

Speaking personally (ones in bold match up for my actual pick for best film of its year):

1980s: Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, ET, Tender Mercies, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Children of a Lesser God, Hope and Glory, The Accidental Tourist, My Left Foot

1990s: The Godfather Part III, Beauty and the Beast, Unforgiven, The Piano, Quiz Show, Sense and Sensibility, Secrets and Lies, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, The Sixth Sense

2000s: Erin Brockovich, Gosford Park, Chicago, Mystic River, Ray, Capote, The Queen, Atonement, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Precious

2010s: True Grit, Hugo, Les Miserables, Nebraska, the Grand Budapest Hotel, Brooklyn, La La Land, Phantom Thread, Roma, Little Women

And then the actual picks for the years not in bold:

1980s: The Last Metro, Pennies from Heaven, Testament, Paris Texas, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Blue Velvet, The Dead, Running on Empty, Shirley Valentine

1990s: Cyrano De Bergerac, Chaplin, The Joy Luck Club, Dead Man Walking, Mother, Rushmore, The Straight story

2000s: In the Mood for love, Last Orders, House of Sand and Fog, Rory O'Shea was Here, Junebug, United 93, Broken Embraces? (nothing really stands out as a top pick this year)

2010s: Never Let Me Go, Young Adult, About Time, 20th Century Women, Stan and Ollie

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

CALL THE MAN,  Aunt Bee,  just CALL THE MAN!!!

I’ve only seen this episode once. Did she ever call the man?

NO. LOL. But Andy did at the end. Andy must've said the phrase TEN times in the episode!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

NO. LOL. But Andy did at the end. Andy must've said the phrase TEN times in the episode!

That's the most repetition I have heard of since Nanette Newman's big scene in The Stepford Wives. I'll just die if I don't get this recipe.....

• Haha 2

On 2/18/2020 at 4:08 PM, JamesStewartFan95 said:

You could even think of these two movies as modern retellings of fairy tales, RoyCronin! Working Girl is, no doubt, a modern repositioning of the tale of Cinderella. But I think that All About Eve is a far-less macabre retelling of the Goose Girl story. Ordinary woman takes over for a woman of stature and masquerades as that other woman, easily fooling all of the people around her while the first woman attempts in vain to warn her friends about the ruse.

*Running to google “THE GOOSE GIRL”...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

That's the most repetition I have heard of since Nanette Newman's big scene in The Stepford Wives. I'll just die if I don't get this recipe.....

Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends! I was just going to give you coffee! I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends... I thought we were friends... I thought we were friends. How could you *do* a thing like that? I thought we were friends.

(Yes I copied and pasted this, lol). 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Tell me what it means! 

38 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends! I was just going to give you coffee! I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends... I thought we were friends... I thought we were friends. How could you *do* a thing like that? I thought we were friends.

(Yes I copied and pasted this, lol). 

Man I love The Stepford Wives

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

So! Did you find out about The Goose Girl, Lorna?

48 minutes ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

So! Did you find out about The Goose Girl, Lorna?

YES I DID, AND I THANK YOU!

And DAMNED IF YOU WEREN'T PRETTY DOGGONE PERCEPTIVE, it is quite a bit like WORKING GIRL!!!!!!!

HERE is LINK to a somewhat stiffly animated version of the tale on youtube (it won't let me embed the whole video), still worth checking out (although I have to say, the lock of hair from the Fairy Godmother is something of a Maguffin.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrE-f6lrLQ

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES I DID, AND I THANK YOU!

And DAMNED IF YOU WEREN'T PRETTY DOGGONE PERCEPTIVE, it is quite a bit like WORKING GIRL!!!!!!!

HERE is LINK to a somewhat stiffly animated version of the tale on youtube (it won't let me embed the whole video), still worth checking out (although I have to say, the lock of hair from the Fairy Godmother is something of a Maguffin.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrE-f6lrLQ

I was more comparing The Goose Girl to All About Eve. Cinderella is more like Working Girl.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

I was more comparing The Goose Girl to All About Eve. Cinderella is more like Working Girl.

Oh, well kinda an "oopsie" on my part, but still, the similarities are there!

(if you think of SIGOURNEY WEAVER trying to pass off MELANIE GRIFFITH'S ideas as her own and failing at the end of WORKING GIRL)