Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

All About Music

12 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Didn't like THE SUPREMES, eh? 

No, I did.  Now I DON'T like 'em.  I am too young for them when they were together.  Ironically, I was listening to THE SHIRELLES in the '60s because of my cousin's records. 

26 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

No, I did.  Now I DON'T like 'em.  I am too young for them when they were together.  Ironically, I was listening to THE SHIRELLES in the '60s because of my cousin's records. 

I was confused by your wording. I mistakenly assumed you never liked them and didn't like them NOW, which I took to mean you dislike what they're doing these days.  As Ross left the group in '70, and they officially disbanded in '77,  I wondered what was going on. :unsure:

As THE SHIRELLES were active from '58 to '82(their last recording made in '73) everybody was listening to them in the '60's, their "heyday" decade. 

JAMES.  Nice clip, but too bad Knopfler didn't have more to do there.  His finger picked exit solo on "Sultans Of Swing" still gives me shivers.  Every time I tried to emulate it I would need a couple of days to untangle my fingers!  ;) 

Sepiatone

7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I was confused by your wording. I mistakenly assumed you never liked them and didn't like them NOW, which I took to mean you dislike what they're doing these days.  As Ross left the group in '70, and they officially disbanded in '77,  I wondered what was going on. :unsure:

As THE SHIRELLES were active from '58 to '82(their last recording made in '73) everybody was listening to them in the '60's, their "heyday" decade. 

JAMES.  Nice clip, but too bad Knopfler didn't have more to do there.  His finger picked exit solo on "Sultans Of Swing" still gives me shivers.  Every time I tried to emulate it I would need a couple of days to untangle my fingers!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Knopfler is a fine guitar player.   E.g. the concert he did with Chet Atkins.    Takes guts to play with Chet!   The Sultans of Swing solo is one-for-the-ages.    

But yea,  with Clapton on the stage there wasn't much for another guitar player to do.    

57 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I was confused by your wording. I mistakenly assumed you never liked them and didn't like them NOW, which I took to mean you dislike what they're doing these days.  As Ross left the group in '70, and they officially disbanded in '77,  I wondered what was going on. 

Yeh, sure.  

48 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Knopfler is a fine guitar player.   E.g. the concert he did with Chet Atkins.    Takes guts to play with Chet!   The Sultans of Swing solo is one-for-the-ages.    

But yea,  with Clapton on the stage there wasn't much for another guitar player to do.   

I saw the show where CLAPTON toured with KNOPFLERKNOPFLER bounced off the equipment and all over the stage.  CLAPTON stood there and played.  Great show. 

• Like 1

My friend in Reno, NV loves MARILLION - sends me links - so I listen to them once in awhile; now, Clutching At Straws

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

UNCLE MEAT was the Mother's 5th LP.  HOT RATS was Zappa's first solo effort.  I usually considered anything after that as Zappa solos, as the personnel was always changing, rotating and never constant.  But, as STEELY DAN did shortly become just Fagen and Becker with an ever changing collection of contemporaries and well known session men,  Calling all those later Zappa LPs MOTHERS albums works for some I suppose.

Here's what I wrote: "I only listen to Uncle Meat...  ZAPPA solo?  Hot Rats... "  I've only heard the first 3 or 4 MOTHERS albums, but I'm no fan of them or ZAPPA.  I see your perspective, but I don't know anybody who might remember MOTHERS classic albums like... We're Only In It For The Money

Yup, 1980: Listening now.  I like it. 

R-3731204-1342107675-6333.jpeg.jpg

14 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Here's what I wrote: "I only listen to Uncle Meat...  ZAPPA solo?  Hot Rats... "  I've only heard the first 3 or 4 MOTHERS albums, but I'm no fan of them or ZAPPA.  I see your perspective, but I don't know anybody who might remember MOTHERS classic albums like... We're Only In It For The Money

Their 3rd?  Well, you know me, and I well remember it.  Got a big kick out of it's parody of "Sgt. Pepper"s LP cover.  Containing such Mother's classics, like---

And their 2nd with the all time classic--

And a favorite of his past Mother's era.... (The title number)

Worried it'd be "Dinah Moe Humm"?  ;)  Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Their 3rd?  Well, you know me, and I well remember it. 

I'd expect you'd remember it! 

I don't think THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION are listened to much anymore. 

• Haha 1

Would depend on who's doing the listening.  ;) 

I've got tons of music on record and CD of artists that aren't listened to much anymore. Like....

How many listen much to THIS group anymore?  ;)  (STEVE KATZ, AL KOOPER and a couple other originals  eventually left it alone and formed BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS)

Seiatone

Judging by record sales, not too many people ever listened to the Mothers. That says nothing

about their talent.

• Like 2

I never really got "into"  Reggae.  Or, what I've long called "ragged".   'Round here anyway it didn't go over that big with the "rock" loving crowd.  I remember a friend telling me that when The Who swung though Detroit during a mid '70's tour, they had PETER TOSH open for them, and the crowd so maliciously treated him he ran off the stage less than halfway through his set. The Brits were big on that stuff.  But Who fans in Detroit weren't having any of it.

And VAUTRIN, you've been on these boards long enough to know that record sales, like ticket sales for movies, aren't indicative of the content's quality. 

Like this guy's main source of revenue is live performances.  I've yet had the chance to see him, but he's a fave....

And I'm not sure how big this guy's record sales were either.....

Sepiatone

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And VAUTRIN, you've been on these boards long enough to know that record sales, like ticket sales for movies, aren't indicative of the content's quality. 

I saw that Vautrin posted:  "Judging by record sales, not too many people ever listened to the Mothers. That says nothing about their talent."

Doesn't that indicate that he knows?      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Beating dead horse.  DED.  DAED.  DAY'D.  🤩 

And I like Reggae and listen to a bit of it.  Maybe that audience nearly 50 years ago knew PETER TOSH was such a big pothead they'd have none of THAT!  Y'think?  🙃

50 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Beating dead horse.  DED.  DAED.  DAY'D.  🤩 

And I like Reggae and listen to a bit of it.  Maybe that audience nearly 50 years ago knew PETER TOSH was such a big pothead they'd have none of THAT!  Y'think?  🙃

I prefer listening to Reggae bands in small clubs \ bars instead of a rock cover band.       I found the music easy-on-the-ears and I found it nice to dance to (something I'm required to do by my wife,  ha ha).

I don't listen to many Reggae recordings expect for Ernest Ranglin.    He is a wonderful guitar player playing a very jazzy style of Reggae.

• Like 1

^ That's nice.   I agree; I've seen one or two prominent Reggae acts in large venues (BLACK UHURU opened for PETER GABRIEL at MSG)... it don't work! 

I did see THE POLICE which were "Reggae" on the first 3 albums, but I never think of them  as that.  It was an early '80s tour and an okay show; they could get away with it bein' POP.  

Believe it or not, SERGE GAINSBOURG did a very good, kind of Jazzy, Reggae album... Aux armes et cætera

Speaking of, I'm listening to this :

serge.jpg 

Now this: 

R-7217928-1436411940-1499.jpeg.jpg 

SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 Equinox  

R-3486791-1338978166-7993.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Speaking of, I'm listening to this :

Now this: 

R-7217928-1436411940-1499.jpeg.jpg 

SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 Equinox  

R-3486791-1338978166-7993.jpeg.jpg

Sergio and his group were one of my favorites in high school and college. They actually performed at the spring concert at my University.

Initially I really liked the stuff  they did in Portuguese, but their takes on standard songs and The Beatles was quite exquisite.

I particularly liked the song they did from a MGM movie "Ziegfeld Girl--" You Stepped Out of a Dream" and Paul McCartney's "The Fool on the Hill".

Their hit version of Bacharach/David's "The Look of Love" represented the very best of 60s pop and the epitome of what  Bacharach and David had accomplished  in the 60s.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ Huh? 

SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 Fool On The Hill 
Sergio-Mendes-Fool-On-The-Hill.jpg

Mendes's version of Fool On the Hill might be the only Beatles (McCartney),  song done better by someone else.     But the beauty in this song is in the songwriting.  

Not to get too technical but Paul starts the song on a Eb major 6th chord,  uses sharp 5 chords,   and has a very cool,  Minor 7th, to Dom 7th,  to Major 6th,  to Minor 7th.

I can sit in my backyard and stuff this on guitar for hours,   playing it using the more Latin \ Bossa beat Mendes uses.          

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Mendes's version of Fool On the Hill might be the only Beatles (McCartney),  song done better by someone else.     But the beauty in this song is in the songwriting.  

Not to get too technical but Paul starts the song on a Eb major 6th chord,  uses sharp 5 chords,   and has a very cool,  Minor 7th, to Dom 7th,  to Major 6th,  to Minor 7th.

I can sit in my backyard and stuff this on guitar for hours,   playing it using the more Latin \ Bossa beat Mendes uses.          

PAUL is an awesomely talented songwriter, somehow LENNON just barely edges him out of first place.  The pair are a miracle. 

I listened to BRASIL all afternoon... now SKIP JAMES Devil Got My Woman - another great record for a warm day.  It's my favorite Delta Blues record. 

R-2391342-1552612108-7201.jpeg.jpg

45 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Sergio and his group were one of my favorites in high school and college.

I could only see you quoting me a little while ago... One thing's for sure: You DID have good taste and STILL DO !! 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ Huh? 

SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 Fool On The Hill 
Sergio-Mendes-Fool-On-The-Hill.jpg

The great Brazilian percussionist Dom Um Romao, he's the black man picture behind Lani Hall, was responsible for those great drums in the later recordings.

Years later, really decades later when I went to France, I got into a great jazz singer/ musician / composer named Michel Jonasz.

And I found that Dom had resurfaced in France and was recording with Jonasz.

If you're not familiar with Michel Jonasz you might check out his music-- his lyrics can be profound and personal, while the music is light and  breezy.

Dom also recorded alot with Herbie Mann and he was on the Frank Sinatra Bossa Nova record with Jobim.

• Thanks 1

I usually point out, if it's part of the topic, that record sales have little to do with talent or ability, thus

Stereolab :). Today with the internet it's so easy to find sales numbers, as before it was pretty difficult.

I have a few Mothers' albums, but I never liked them that much. Too much noodling around to no

end. I do think that Weasels Ripped My Flesh has one of the best album covers of all time. 

Most of my friends who liked reggae were also rock fans, though I can see where folks who liked high

energy rock were put off by rather slow paced reggae music. I know there are now different kinds of

reggae music, but I was thinking of the 1970s version. My college friend had a little spare room in his

apartment with a small bed in it. We would put on a reggae album, smoke some weed, and be in seventh

heaven. Jah love protect us.

• Haha 1