Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

All About Music

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Stereolab

That's liable to be my next selection... I have only one STEREOLAB CD uploaded Sound-Dust ...  You are prescient. 

I like a lot of '80s Pop.  Now: 

3e9974382cab7755167d81d758cf9c11.jpg

• Like 1

I've been listening to Foster the People. They're a modern group and one of the few that I really like. The album Torches came out when I was in high school. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

That's liable to be my next selection... I have only one STEREOLAB CD uploaded Sound-Dust ...  You are prescient. 

I like a lot of '80s Pop.  Now: 

3e9974382cab7755167d81d758cf9c11.jpg

I always listen to Tears for Fears with the Thompson Twins.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

I saw THOMPSON TWINS at the Garden State Arts Center probably 1985.  I think BERLIN opened for them.  Frankly, memorable show and kind of ridiculous.  Now, I only have Quick Step & Side Kick (the final tune in the movie SIXTEEN CANDLES is a song off that album). 

I'm listening to this:  STEREOLAB  Sound-Dust    

Stereolabsounddust.png

• Thanks 1

That's the "to each" factor I guess.  It didn't matter how much weed those "ragged" performers smoked, it didn't make the music any better.  Not to me and mine anyway....

And that mid '60's BOSSA NOVA trend was just that.  A trend that went as fast as it came.  And "Fool On The Hill"?   Sure.  A nicely written tune that I've even seen insult comic JACK E. LEONARD perform.  On Sullivan I think it was.....  But SERGIO and gang were well liked and it was interesting music for the times.  And those times have seen a lot of foreign influenced music hit the charts.  Breathy petite French girls(think CLAUDINE LONGET), and slim Brazilian ASTRUD GILBERTO doing the vocal version of that JOBIM song.....

Now, THAT'S lovely!  

But too, the mid '60's saw many attempts to cool the momentum of "Beatlemania" and the "British invasion"  by the induction of world music onto the the AM radio dominated music scene.  Even THESE took our minds off the Brits for a short while......

And the distraction wasn't always foreign, (as this one time chart topper proved)..............

OY!  ;) 

Sepiatone

And truly, thanks to Mtv there wasn't much in the '80's I could get into.  I stuck more to fusion then.  But the only "pop" sort of thing from then I liked(and sill like) is----

(couldn't find full LP, but here's a track from it I favor....)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

And truly, thanks to Mtv there wasn't much in the '80's I could get into.  I stuck more to fusion then.  But the only "pop" sort of thing from then I liked(and sill like) is----

(couldn't find full LP, but here's a track from it I favor....)

I owned The Flat Earth on vinyl... and have a CD (OOP) that I hunted for and bought a used copy.  I saw THOMAS DOLBY on his Aliens Ate My Buick tour.  Good show. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And the distraction wasn't always foreign, (as this one time chart topper proved)..............

That record had no significant chart presence.  MRS. MILLER had not one real hit. 

I've managed to buy all the Stereolab studio albums over the years. That doesn't include the compilations

albums, of which I have one or two, and the EPS, of which I have zero. All the albums are worthwhile,

though off the top of my head my two favorites are the first couple I bought--Mars Audiac Quintet and

Emperor Tomato Ketchup. You can't go wrong with titles like that. I should give Sound-Dust a listen

since it's been a while.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Good idea. 

R-56312-1376826107-7363.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I owned The Flat Earth on vinyl... and have a CD (OOP) that I hunted for and bought a used copy.  I saw THOMAS DOLBY on his Aliens Ate My Buick tour.  Good show. 

I had it on vinyl too, but that platter got lost in the "left my first wife and when I went back for the rest of my stuff it was gone" shuffle. 💀  Never had a chance to see Dolby live.  Does seem that it would have been interesting though.  But, the '80's to me were pretty barren "rock" music wise.  Seemed that thanks to Mtv, it was "dumbed down" to being formulaic **** being more about the weird hair, odd costumes and videos.  All the "pop" groups looked and sounded alike, and so did the big-haired "Heavy Metal" bands. ( an area in music I refer to as "Spandex Ballet"  ;) ).  And if not for the off-shoot of what was referred to as "Alternative", all might have been lost.  Being at the mercy of music usually heard as background for MOLLY RINGWALD's crying jags in her John Hughes movies. And thanks to the movie VALLEY GIRL which gave us not only this band, but this tune too!  ;) 

And this band(not in that movie) that made it's way around the Detroit area( and often to the bar my ex worked in) with a live recording of a well known song of theirs, minus the censored ending found on their LPs version...

Sepiatone

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

big-haired "Heavy Metal" bands. ( an area in music I refer to as "Spandex Ballet" 

Aficionados call it Hair Metal... SPANDAU BALLET weren't Hair Metal  but I expect you know that.   Your nickname is cute as a blanket statement. 

4 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

*Aficionados call it Hair Metal... SPANDAU BALLET weren't Hair Metal  but I expect you know that.*   Your nickname is cute as a blanket statement. 

*" I know this much is true."

• Haha 1

It did refer to all the SPANDEX those hair metal bands wore.  ;)   and a play on the name of the band you mentioned.  

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

It did refer to all the SPANDEX those hair metal bands wore.  ;)   and a play on the name of the band you mentioned.  

Sepiatone

Nice to know you get me getting you.  :unsure:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

...and a play on the name of the band you mentioned. 

And I didn't mention SPANDAU BALLET

22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Aficionados call it Hair Metal... SPANDAU BALLET weren't Hair Metal  but I expect you know that.   Your nickname is cute as a blanket statement. 

Looks like you did to me.... ;)

Sepiatone

34 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Looks like you did to me.... ;)

Sepiatone

No... didn't mention SPANDAU BALLET

How can you make that claim after I posted the quote?  You must be thinking a few posts earlier when I first mentioned the "Spandex Ballet" thing.  I've ALWAYS referred to those '80's metal bands that way.  Later, I was mentioning that nickname WAS based on the name "Spandau Ballet" .  YOU mentioned the band a couple or so posts before that, And it was that post i referred to when saying "The band you mentioned".  Keep up, now.  ;)

Sepiatone

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

How can you make that claim after I posted the quote?  You must be thinking a few posts earlier when I first mentioned the "Spandex Ballet" thing.  I've ALWAYS referred to those '80's metal bands that way.  Later, I was mentioning that nickname WAS based on the name "Spandau Ballet" .  YOU mentioned the band a couple or so posts before that, And it was that post i referred to when saying "The band you mentioned".  Keep up, now.  ;)

Sepiatone

Not once.  Can't find such.  Quote me, but don't alter my words!

23 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

You couldn't mean this after you wrote Spandex Ballet?  

55 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

A perfectly sleazy  stripper tune....

I watched part of THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE today; always liked that sleazy music.  That movie is also known as JAN IN THE PAN:D

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

You couldn't mean this after you wrote Spandex Ballet?  

Yes I could.  But I took it as your not at first getting my reference. 

Sepiatone