Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm gonna back up a bit here...

With the earlier posting of BASS PLAYERS, I'm shocked all you musical "sharpies" let THESE guys go without mention!  :o

And while STARSHIP TROOPERS is a long favorite of mine by YES, my liking it goes back before YESSONGS.  And another well liked Yes tune on my list-----

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm gonna back up a bit here...

With the earlier posting of BASS PLAYERS, I'm shocked all you musical "sharpies" let THESE guys go without mention!  :o

And while STARSHIP TROOPERS is a long favorite of mine by YES, my liking it goes back before YESSONGS.  And another well liked Yes tune on my list-----

Sepiatone

As you probably know Yessongs is a triple live compendium by Yes issued in 1973,Starship Trooper was on The Yes Album issued in  early 71-recorded in 1970 the Fragile Album was released in the late fall of 1971 or early winter 1972,both are great albums as is the follow up Close to the Edge,i saw Yes several times in the 70's they were always good.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, nakano said:

i saw Yes several times in the 70's they were always good

I saw YES once, "in the round" with all prominent former and current members appearing  together (TONY KAYE RICK WAKEMAN BILL BRUFORD ALAN WHITE et al) ... I think it was The Spectrum in Philadelphia. 

The first record album I ever bought myself was ELTON JOHN Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player... I'm listening to **** Chateau ... Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is probably his best, but Chateau is my favorite.

R-472324-1324217550.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

GAD!  Late start, or WHAT?

The first LP I ever bought myself was-----

But, the FIRST album I ever owned, but was bought for me by my Grandmother, was ANOTHER Nelson!  ;)   And a couple years earlier

Sepiatone

• Like 3

RICKY NELSON Ricky Sings Again is a masterpiece; easily his best record.  I have almost all his records on vinyl and several on CD. The first album I ever OWNED that was truly mine was a copy of BING CROSBY Merry Christmas that I got for Xmas when I was  4 or 5. 

merryxmas_crosby606.jpg

Listening to this fun poop

I listened to that album several times 2 years ago and found what I wrote about it at Amazon :
COSMIC DEALER Crystallization 3.0 out of 5 stars
Great example of a band with potential who have no fncking idea who they might be...
Reviewed in the United States on May 30, 2018

Definitely a mixed bag. I like it well enough to keep listening. STRIDENT like a BEATLES-wanna-be crossed with JETHRO TULL DEEP PURPLE BADFINGER, but particularly CRAPPY songwriting, TALENTLESS singing... real musicianship and melodies ICED with self-absorbed indulgent artiness. Did I mention dumb pompous lyrics? There is actually a "Revolution 9" reference at the beginning of the title track... cool... are they kidding me or themselves? They KNEW they couldn't sing, it's such a strain. Somebody, however, told these talented musicians that they could write songs. They couldn't. Fantastically over-produced, I figured it out! They should be called MOUNTAIN OUSPINAL TAPFINGERTULL... unlike SPINAL TAP who knew they were clowns, these Bozos are EARNEST. Without the "ie" or Burt.
I'm kind of digging on hating it. And the more I listen to this train-wreck, the more I'm digging on hating it! SO much fun to hate on!!! I confess, I like BAD MUSIC as much as I like BAD MOVIE.

Rudy's Girl : Check out BIG STAR if you haven't.  They're a '70s band that completely failed - and left us three (3) superb albums.  Third is my favorite, but this is the best :

Big-Star-Radio-City1.jpg?quality=80

• Thanks 1

CRIPES!  That COSMIC DEALER is pretty rank.  I feel better now about how the "basement" bands I was in sounded.  ;)   As to the other group; BIG STAR------

There were probably a few to several '70's bands that were fairly good to great but for whatever reason didn't make it.  I posted some of the stuff from one I really liked back then, but put out only two LPs, of which I only have their first( on vinyl) and which had no CD reissue.   And that band was RATCHELL .

The DJ on the station where I usually heard their music pronounced the band name like the woman's name RACHEL, so--------

It was formed by a former STEPPENWOLF guitarist LARRY BYROM  I'll post another clip for y'all-----

And such a mixed bag of styles on the LP it's hard to pin them to a specific genre.   For example, here's another from same LP----

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

CRIPES!  That COSMIC DEALER is pretty rank.

Indeed, I listened to it twice yesterday at YouTube.  They were very talented musicians... who could not write songs, could not sing, released just this one album under that dated corny name, an album that is magnificently over-produced.  Kind of GREAT - ly bad!  Though "singing" in English, I think they were Dutch.

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

There were probably a few to several '70's bands that were fairly good to great but for whatever reason didn't make it. 

Though defining "Punk Rock" THE RAMONES never got rich from their enormous fame; all original members are now deceased.  

MC5 had initial success with their first album Kick Out The Jams, but they quickly tanked despite two excellent follow-ups.  

BLUE CHEER had an initial Top 20 hit single and album and two more very good albums that barely sold in comparison to Vincebus Eruptum

THE STOOGES had no success despite three great albums. 

NICK DRAKE was unlike anybody else who recorded three albums, a solid legacy that has sold well only in the last 20 years or so... initially, all 3 tanked. 

NEW YORK DOLLS had two great albums, no success. 

^I mention these acts 'cause I love 'em. 

20 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Though defining "Punk Rock" THE RAMONES never got rich from their enormous fame; all original members are now deceased.  

MC5 had initial success with their first album Kick Out The Jams, but they quickly tanked despite two excellent follow-ups.  

BLUE CHEER had an initial Top 20 hit single and album and two more very good albums that barely sold in comparison to Vincebus Eruptum

THE STOOGES had no success despite three great albums. 

NICK DRAKE was unlike anybody else who recorded three albums, a solid legacy that has sold well only in the last 20 years or so... initially, all 3 tanked. 

NEW YORK DOLLS had two great albums, no success. 

^I mention these acts 'cause I love 'em. 

Well, ALLHALLOWS---

I mentioned '70's bands that didn't make it despite being fairly good to great.  And your list in reply did mention at least  THE RAMONES and NEW YORK DOLLS.  Both bands that formed and began activity in the '70's.  And by the time the '70's did roll around, music moved away from and left bands like The MC5 and The Stooges behind. And here they both were seen(and still thought of) as '60's bands.  We here in the "D" were tired of The Stooges and the 5 by then, and those "excellent follow-ups" you claim the 5 had DIDN'T have the "edge" their earlier work had.  But that's a subjective take. 

BLUE CHEER too, would be considered more of a '60's band, as their debut WAS in '68.  ;)   Anyway----

Saw The Stooges and The 5 several times at The Grande, from '67 to '69, and would arrive at my parent's house for Thanksgiving often at the same time MC5 drummer DENNY THOMPSON would show up for a visit to his folks across the street.  Cool guy with really nice parents.  :)  And for you cuz I'm in a good mood;...

Sepiatone

^I knew you'd jump on release dates... Most of the acts I mentioned are transitional, with their last albums released in the '70s.   One could argue that LED ZEPPELIN stole their act from BLUE CHEER (one of LED ZEP's first album songs is on BLUE CHEER's second album)

THE STOOGES were ahead of their time, we all had to catch up to them; they weren't left behind. 

Here's MC5's third 1971 album High Time, which I own and am listening to.  It's a great album! 

On acts of that era, it's about their recorded legacies, I'm too young to have seen THE STOOGES or MC5MC5 had only the 3 albums and the first (Kick Out The Jams - 1969) was live, the second their first studio album (Back In The USA - 1970).  THE STOOGES first was 1969, Fun House is 1970 and Raw Power 1973.  I think it's perfectly fine to define such as '70s bands. 

Captain Beyond. Bought the first album when it came out. CB was a second or third tier "super group,"

comprised of two members of Iron Butterfly, the original vocalist for Deep Purple, Rod Evans,

and drummer Bobby Caldwell.  The album cover had a 3-D picture of the Captain, a long haired mystical

dude with profound life secrets to hand out. The song titles were kind of a mash up of the Moody Blues

and Black Sabbath. As I recall the music was pretty good, nothing earth shattering, but enjoyable enough

to listen to. The Captains put out two more albums, but they never had much success and decided to hang it

up before the Captain was demoted. When I have time I'll have to listen to a few Beyond tunes and post one

of the better ones.

• Like 1

Today I dug out Queen's Sheer Heart Attack. I haven't listened to that album in forever. I forgot how great that opening track was. They (mostly Brian) knew how to rock in the early days.

22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

^I knew you'd jump on release dates... Most of the acts I mentioned are transitional, with their last albums released in the '70s.   One could argue that LED ZEPPELIN stole their act from BLUE CHEER (one of LED ZEP's first album songs is on BLUE CHEER's second album)

THE STOOGES were ahead of their time, we all had to catch up to them; they weren't left behind. 

I said they(Stooges and MC5) were left behind because by the time of their '70's releases music was headed intosound and style what those two bands were doing wasn't relevant anymore.   Whatever....  That's just trending aspect.  To those who really liked certain band's music it never goes out of "style".(or..."dated" if you will..).   And I can't find what song y'all talkin' about that Zep did on their 1st that was on Blue Cheer's 2nd LP(Outsideinside)    Anyway......

Let's add a couple more good ladies to the earlier list*( and whatever happened to them?)

And-----

Sepiatone

44 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I said they(Stooges and MC5) were left behind because by the time of their '70's releases music was headed intosound and style what those two bands were doing wasn't relevant anymore. 

You don't need to repeat yourself; I said THE STOOGES were ahead of their time.  THE STOOGES  became more relevant with each passing decade. 

44 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And I can't find what song y'all talkin' about that Zep did on their 1st that was on Blue Cheer's 2nd LP(Outsideinside)

"How Many More Times" is a re-titled reworking of "The Hunter" ... 

• Thanks 1

Did not know that.  Only knew it as "How Many More Times".  But, perhaps if I ever listened more closely to Cheer's 2nd LP. I might have caught it.  And sorry, but I never considered The Stooges as becoming more relevant as time passed, nor ever "ahead of their time". They were vastly different for their time, but not too out of sync with what else was going on around them then.  The biggest difference of course being their stage presentation.  

Sepiatone

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Did not know that.  Only knew it as "How Many More Times".  But, perhaps if I ever listened more closely to Cheer's 2nd LP. I might have caught it.  And sorry, but I never considered The Stooges as becoming more relevant as time passed, nor ever "ahead of their time". They were vastly different for their time, but not too out of sync with what else was going on around them then.  The biggest difference of course being their stage presentation.  

Sepiatone

As I had written, it's not about eyewitness testimony (which is important and valuable) it's about the legacy.  THE STOOGES records are quite relevant, particularly the 2nd and 3rd.  THE STOOGES didn't pretend to have deep meaning or a mission and instead sang about being bored.  That was quite novel in 1969 and alienated potential record buyers. 

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I finally got a day off after working six days straight. Lately I've been singing this song to myself.

I play I"m So Tried and it is a fairly easy song to play but to sing it,   wow.   When John belts out the lyrics in the second half of song,,,,   yea,   it takes having a voice like John, and that I don't even attempt (since my neighbors would have a fit!).

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

As I had written, it's not about eyewitness testimony (which is important and valuable) it's about the legacy.  THE STOOGES records are quite relevant, particularly the 2nd and 3rd.  THE STOOGES didn't pretend to have deep meaning or a mission and instead sang about being bored.  That was quite novel in 1969 and alienated potential record buyers. 

And I'll repeat---

This is all very subjective.  We covered that a bit with the slight BLACK SABBATH discussion.  I could never stand them.  A couple of buddies of mine think they were the best thing since The Beatles and Hendrix. :rolleyes:

A lot of locals bought Stooges LPs because they dug their idiotic(to me) stage performances and the music on the platters brought it all back to them.  And too, you gotta remember....

A lot was going on in that period('68-'69) musically.  A lot of the "old guard"( Beatles, Stones, Cream, Animals, Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, Janis, Bob Seger etc.) were all still putting out new and in many cases exciting material heading in many different directions.  And too, along with Blue Cheer, a lot of great short lived and long term groups kept popping up( Spirit, Grand Funk Railroad, Frost, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, CCR, CSN etc.) plus many that were better off forgotten.  So it was hard, if not glued to an FM radio, or any radio 24/7 to hear everything everyone did and find if you liked it or not.  As most of us without unlimited means were probably stuck with AM radios, with FM access very limited, we would find much of that stuff was first heard of if some band released a single on 45 for AM play(and often edited for time, like "Magic Carpet Ride")  It's how most first(and often) heard Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" from "Vincebus  Eruptum".  Which was the only "single" played here on local AM, as the local FM stations wouldn't bother with singles, And I truly don't recall any other Cheer singles getting airplay 'round here either.  For what reason isn't clear.  Could be regional, as it took many years for Bob Seger to be heard outside Michigan and possibly Ohio .  And by the start of the '70's, FM rapidly grew to the major music outlet and the growth of AOR stations grew too, and singles eventually faded clear away.  Most of the local "top 40" AM station here changed formats to "Easy listening", news  and such. Plus "Prog Rock" was being hatched.   anyway.....

The often fallible YouTube fails to bring up anything by a local Pontiac, MI artist who went by the moniker, "The Phantom".  No, nothing to do with the long time comic strip, but some guy whose biggest "claim to fame" is an ability to sing just like JIM MORRISON, who by the time The Phantom released his one and only LP had been dead for 4 or 5 years.  A buddy of mine had that LP, and sure, he did sound like Morrison, but the songs and the music behind them blew chunks.  I was hoping to find a clip and post it here for laughs. ;)   

But instead,  A very short-lived '70's band with an outstanding talented guitarist( Jan Akkerman)  And it was nice of POPEYE to drop in  ;)

Sepiatone