Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

All About Music

I had a few "classic" Punk Rock records, but THE BUZZCOCKS found little success in the USA... and I only heard of them... now I know they were a great band... this track exemplifies Punk Rock to me : musical, unexpectedly long for a Punk song, very direct lustful angry and simple like Punk should be, even if you don't like Punk, there's music... :  

Going back now....

We discussed a bit about '60's bands that stayed alive long enough to find their greatest success in the '70's.  One of them was this band whose debut in '68 carried them well into the '70's and beyond....

This WAS(according to YT) supposed to be the full album.  Maybe if you let it go....

Sepiatone (whose vinyl of this platter got mislaid long ago :( )

18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

We discussed a bit about '60's bands that stayed alive long enough to find their greatest success in the '70's.  One of them was this band whose debut in '68 carried them well into the '70's and beyond....

^Yeh?  I thought it was the opposite.  There sure are lots of bands that found success in the '70s, but started in the '60s... like, uhm, LED ZEPPELIN... 

• Like 1

Yeah, OK.  But we did get into both sides of the issue.  And it does tickle some of us fogeys when we remember when others "discovered" bands we were long into after these bands already had two or three LPs under their belts.

And locally,  This band did get into the '70's, but without most of the steam that got 'em there.  Then Ted gave 'em up.....       From '67----

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And it does tickle some of us fogeys when we remember when others "discovered" bands we were long into after these bands already had two or three LPs under their belts.

Born in 1961, I surely am too young for most of my favorite recording artists.  I "discovered" lots of artists since my days of listening to my brother's and cousin's records back in the 60s. 

• Like 1

For a band that released its first album in 1968 and one that released its first album in 1969 it's not

very surprising that they managed to find success a few years later in the 1970s. I would name

Fleetwood Mac, though its 1970s success was due to two very significant personnel additions.

I saw Tull during the War Child tour. For some reason there were a number of seats that became

vacant part way through the show so we moved down to get better seats. We also got stopped

by the cops on the way home which eventually turned out okay thank goodness. Coincidentally,

War Child was the last Tull album I bought. When it comes to JT, I'm strictly living in the past.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Born in 1961, I surely am too young for most of my favorite recording artists.  I "discovered" lots of artists since my days of listening to my brother's and cousin's records back in the 60s. 

That's happened with a lot of us.  A lot of my musical interests were spawned by digging through my older stepsister's record collection( where I "discovered" Hank Williams' old 78 "Move it On Over", among many other gems) and at first spinning my Mom's old "big band" and "swing" 78s before she remarried..  Imagine going from THIS---

to THIS-----

With THIS somewhere in between( thanks to sneaking listens to my brother's crystal radio)  ;)  

MAN! Was I glad about there being recorded music!  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I love this:

In most polls of lovers of American jazz music Star Dust is listed as one of the top 5 best written songs of all times.

I know from the jazz musicians polls I have seen that this is the case;  often Star Dust is #1 or #2 (in a battle with Take 5).

Of course I'm a big fan of Hoagy Carmichael;    TCM just showed him last night in Young Man With a Horn!

• Like 1

However, it'sinteresting to note that in the EVAN HUNTER("The Blackboard Jungle") novel STREETS OF GOLD( about a blind jazz pianist) the protagonist of the book complains that as nice of a tune "Stardust" is, an acceptable jazz treatment of it is impossible.  

But concerning Hoagy Carmichael tunes, I lean more towards----

And-----

But THIS version is one I like!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Dig the bandana over the girl's face!

How prophetic.  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

X were a great band... or "are" a great band. 

I had to do a quick Wiki check and it's still are. They just released their first album in 27 years and

are touring here and there. Whether the new material is great is a matter of opinion I suppose.

Much as I liked that LP, I still wasn't a huge Airplane fan.  Never, as others had, seen them as the quintessential '60's rock band. More preferred the follow-up CROWN OF CREATION and wore THIS track to near transparency:

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Much as I liked that LP, I still wasn't a huge Airplane fan.  Never, as others had, seen them as the quintessential '60's rock band. More preferred the follow-up CROWN OF CREATION and wore THIS track to near transparency:

Probably the first JEFFERSON AIRPLANE record I ever owned was The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane, which includes "Lather", one of my favorite tracks too.  Now, I still own a vinyl copy of Crown Of Creation.  My favorite AIRPLANE has long been Volunteers

Probably around 2011, I saw JEFFERSON STARSHIP (as so billed) at a venue in Spring Lake, NJ and had the opportunity to meet PAUL KANTNER!!  One of my music moment highlights. 

The first time I saw that band ("Jefferson Starship") was about 1980 at South Mountain Reservation, South Orange, NJ - that incarnation had everybody it should have including GRACE fronting the band.  I do know the STARSHIP incarnation that released Knee Deep In The Hoopla in 1985 had two #1 singles and their best selling album ever (I know, I know - ick - only included GRACE anyway). 

• Like 2

My dad has this album and has listened to it quite a bit over the years. Love this song.

• Like 2

:D

Sure is different from THIS one!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Surrealistic Pillow is a great album, and probably the one JEFFERSON AIRPLANE will be remembered for; the band had two hit singles, they're both on that album.  Though I think Volunteers is their best, I do have a soft spot for their live album Bless It's Pointed Little Head.  Though I loved Frampton Comes Alive when it was new, I lost interest in it and all live records...  In the meantime, I fell in love with Bless It's Pointed Little Head.   Now I love lots of live albums again. 

Listening now...

R-3485763-1440427582-4830.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Well, as a huge shift  ;) 

MY favorite live "album" is actually a boxed set and in which all audience sound was edited out of the final pressing......

Couldn't find a clip that would include the "cover" art, but it's the DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON  1980 release of Beethoven's 9 symphonies with LEONARD BERNSTEIN conducting the VIENNA PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA.  .  So, just give a listen to the 6th for starters.

OH!  The cover came up anyway!  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

My favorite of those is this----  :D 

Sepiatone