Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

All About Music

Recommended Posts

WHAT NO CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

 

And I'd like to add that Nelson Riddle is also too marvelous for words.

BTW--For anybody who wants to check out the original album,

You can find this song on:

"Songs for Swingin' Lovers",  Capitol, 1956.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

"Songs for Swingin' Lovers",  Capitol, 1956.

This one is too :

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And I'd like to add that Nelson Riddle is also too marvelous for words.

BTW--For anybody who wants to check out the original album,

You can find this song on:

"Songs for Swingin' Lovers",  Capitol, 1956.

my favorite.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nakano said:

my favorite.

 

Mon Ami--Vraiment, moi aussi!

Cole Porter wrote this song for a MGM tap dance musical: Born To Dance,1936  starring tap dancer Eleanor Powell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Mon Ami--Vraiment, moi aussi!

Cole Porter wrote this song for a MGM tap dance musical: Born To Dance, starring tap dancer Eleanor Powell.

yes I know I had to watch the movie because I was a James Stewart's completist I have to see it again because I like Eleanor Powell now,if I remember well Stewart looked unease dancing unless it was me for him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Princess you have no excuse as a Beach Boys connaisseur to NOT know this live version of Fun Fun Fun as it was released in 1973 as a 2 lp live set,i had it ,this is imo  the best live version i have ever heard,Dennis's drumming on this one is very good.I saw the BB many times between 1975-83 in  special places too! No video montage though only excellent rock'n,roll…. allez chantez maintenant tous ensemble!!  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling crummy or blue?  Maybe this Doobie Brothers tune will perk you up.  It's a cover of an Isley Brothers song.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite records, certainly from the '80s, and though credited to the "artist" it is debatable the extent of MALCOLM McLAREN'S contribution to Duck Rock which had 2 hit singles (this YouTube mix does contain the long version of "Double Dutch" which is too long : 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, midwestan said:

Feeling crummy or blue?  Maybe this Doobie Brothers tune will perk you up.  It's a cover of an Isley Brothers song.

Sounds like their hit "Long Train Runnin'" 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much as I like the Doobies, I think they fall short on this one....

But when it comes to The Isleys, a favorite of mine is.....

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always really liked this song.

And speaking of The Doobies, I like them a little better pre-Michael McDonald, with the exception of Minute by Minute. Love this song!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Much as I like the Doobies, I think they fall short on this one....

But when it comes to The Isleys, a favorite of mine is.....

Sepiatone

I agree with you on "Fight The Power".  It's my favorite Isley Brothers tune.  They also had a good version of "Love The One You're With".  I'll still take the Doobies on "Need A Little Taste Of Love".

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Want U 2 Want Me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite fond of the music and style of Al Bowlly. Here he is singing "Melancholy Baby" followed by "Love Is the Sweetest Thing" from the television show Pennies from Heaven. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I'm quite fond of the music and style of Al Bowlly. Here he is singing "Melancholy Baby" followed by "Love Is the Sweetest Thing" from the television show Pennies from Heaven. 

 

Swith--

One of my favorite hour-long "I Love Lucys" is the one where she goes to Sun Valley with Ethel. It's supposed to be a second honeymoon, but Ricky has to do a TV show.

Ricky convinces Fred to sing on the TV show. And we see Fred, William Frawley, singing "My Melancholy Baby". 

That's when I realized he really had been in Vaudeville and had introduced this song.

I knew of the song, but I had only heard Judy Garland sing it in " A Star is Born".

BTW-- I just heard on the radio that Vera Lynn died. I know "We'll Meet Again" from watching a lot of British TV shows.

  I wonder what you thought of her? Was she popular aside from wartime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had heard "Melencholy Baby" many times over my life, and by many different folks.  Didn't know about the WILLIAM FRAWLEY connection though. And try as I might, I couldn't find any recording of Frawley doing this tune that goes back that far.  Only this--- 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 2:30 AM, Rudy's Girl said:

I've always really liked this song.

I had THE MOTELS album Little Robbers on vinyl (that one had "Suddenly Last Summer"). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I had heard "Melencholy Baby" many times over my life, and by many different folks.  Didn't know about the WILLIAM FRAWLEY connection though. And try as I might, I couldn't find any recording of Frawley doing this tune that goes back that far.  Only this--- 

Sepiatone

I didn't know he could sing like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...