Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudy's Girl

All About Music

Recommended Posts

I've been humming this tune all day. A country fav.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I had THE MOTELS album Little Robbers on vinyl (that one had "Suddenly Last Summer"). 

 

Martha Davis was good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And hearing this(first clip) on the radio yesterday reminded me....

It's NO WONDER she was called the "QUEEN OF SOUL"!  :wub:

And I STILL CRY every time I hear this woman sing!  :wub:

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And hearing this(first clip) on the radio yesterday reminded me....

It's NO WONDER she was called the "QUEEN OF SOUL"!  :wub:

And I STILL CRY every time I hear this woman sing!  :wub:

Sepiatone

Sep-- I will cry Forever at the loss of Aretha.

I, for one, just took it for granted that she would always be around for my generation.

But we were very lucky to have her as long as we as we did.

 BTW--" I Never Loved A Man" is my favorite, thanks.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

AMEN!

ARETHA was a goddess!!!  Rudy's Girl : TAMMY was also a goddess!!! 

Anybody else like that '80s Pop?  I'm listening to this :

R-2669143-1295889615.jpeg.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

ARETHA was a goddess!!!  Rudy's Girl : TAMMY was also a goddess!!! 

Anybody else like that '80s Pop?  I'm listening to this :

R-2669143-1295889615.jpeg.jpg

???

I didn't know there WAS a "Best Of" Flock of Seagulls LP.  Or even there were other singles besides that piece o' crap tune and video Mtv always played.  

Besides, I thought that for a few exceptions, the '80's were more or less musically barren for me.  I spent the '80's spinning THESE to death!----

 

And.... (The "L. W." is for LECH WALESA)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

???

I didn't know there WAS a "Best Of" Flock of Seagulls LP.  Or even there were other singles besides that piece o' crap tune and video Mtv always played.  

Besides, I thought that for a few exceptions, the '80's were more or less musically barren for me.  I spent the '80's spinning THESE to death!----

 

 

That's funny-- in the 80s I was so Addicted To My Love of MTV that I had to Shout, Shout and let it all out.

In fact I had so much Infatuation for MTV that the only time I played the radio was in the car.

I couldn't Beat It, Living in America because I found it Simply Irresistible.

But Sep, you're totally cool because it's Hip To Be Square.

That's All.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

That's funny-- in the 80s I was so Addicted To My Love of MTV that I had to Shout, Shout and let it all out.

In fact I had so much Infatuation for MTV that the only time I played the radio was in the car.

I couldn't Beat It, Living in America because I found it Simply Irresistible.

But Sep, you're totally cool because it's Hip To Be Square.

That's All.

Good job there... I particularly like ROBERT PALMER too...

50 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I didn't know there WAS a "Best Of" Flock of Seagulls LP.  Or even there were other singles besides that piece o' crap tune and video Mtv always played.  

Besides, I thought that for a few exceptions, the '80's were more or less musically barren for me.

I don't agree, but understand.  We used to joke the lead singer looked like a seagull landed on his head,  A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS had 4 hits that I liked, hence my ownership of a "greatest hits" CD.  Lots of people of my generation liked electronica.  This was my favorite of theirs :

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, you seem to like what a friend of mine(and jazz musician) calls "stenciled music"  and I simply call "formulaic".  The kind that sounds like many of the producers of the day would/could have changed the title, lyrics and vocalists over the same music track and have a string of "pop hits" with.  

A member of another music forum I'm a member of started a thread some time ago in which he posted many "different" songs that had different singers, titles and lyrics but all used the same recorded "back tracks". A lot of that crap is STILL being done in modern music.  Only a lot of it is all "pasted" together from various sound files in computer libraries. Many "songs" are actually "written" by computer geeks who've never learned to play any musical instrument.  not even a KAZOO! 

And it all mostly took off back when VIDEOS became more important than the MUSIC. :rolleyes:

Sepatone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Ah, you seem to like what a friend of mine(and jazz musician) calls "stenciled music"  and I simply call "formulaic".  The kind that sounds like many of the producers of the day would/could have changed the title, lyrics and vocalists over the same music track and have a string of "pop hits" with.  

A member of another music forum I'm a member of started a thread some tima ago in which he posted many "different" songs that had different singers, titles and lyrics but all used the same recorded "back tracks". A lot of that crap is STILL being done in modern music.  Only a lot of it is all "pasted" together from various sound files in computer libraries. Many "songs" are actually "written" by computer geeks who've never learned to play any musical instrument.  not even a KAZOO! 

And it all mostly took off back when VIDEOS became more important than the MUSIC. :rolleyes:

Sepatone

As for Flock of Seagulls,    I believe I have told the story about how Fey,  lead singer of The Tubes and a friend of mine feels about that band.

He would agree with what you have here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for Flock of Seagulls,    I believe I have told the story about how Fey,  lead singer of The Tubes and a friend of mine feels about that band.

He would agree with what you have here.

I had two of their albums - thanks to one o' them "record clubs" - but yeh, they were not great. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 11:08 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Swith--

One of my favorite hour-long "I Love Lucys" is the one where she goes to Sun Valley with Ethel. It's supposed to be a second honeymoon, but Ricky has to do a TV show.

Ricky convinces Fred to sing on the TV show. And we see Fred, William Frawley, singing "My Melancholy Baby". 

That's when I realized he really had been in Vaudeville and had introduced this song.

I knew of the song, but I had only heard Judy Garland sing it in " A Star is Born".

BTW-- I just heard on the radio that Vera Lynn died. I know "We'll Meet Again" from watching a lot of British TV shows.

  I wonder what you thought of her? Was she popular aside from wartime?

A movie that I like, which can never be shown on TCM because there is blackface, is Harmony Lane, a budget bio of Stephen Foster.  Foster is played beautifully by Douglass Montgomery. Evelyn Venable gives a truly stunning supporting performance. But to the point: William Frawley plays Edwin Christy, founder and leader of the Christy Minstrels, who often appear in blackface in the movie, as does Frawley.

Regarding Dame Vera, I've always loved her work. She remained in the public eye, on television, and at many commemorative events. And her songs were featured on soundtracks of many movies and television shows. One I particularly liked was the dramatization of A Dance to the Music of Time, based on the novels of Anthony Powell. Made in the '90s, it featured a Vera Lynn song I didn't know: "It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow," which is sung when the main character returns from the war. Beautiful scene. I wish I could find the scene online, but Dame Vera's recording will have to do:

Here's a photo of the scene when Nicholas Jenkins (played by James Purefoy) comes home from the war.

2003858953-300x0.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for Flock of Seagulls,    I believe I have told the story about how Fey,  lead singer of The Tubes and a friend of mine feels about that band.

He would agree with what you have here.

 

Nit pickin' time!

Wouldn't that be FEE?  As in WAYBILL?  ;)   Heh...Fell for The Tubes since first hearing  " Slipped My Disco!"  ;) 

But that was back when I was one of these....  ;) 

:D Sepiatone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first album holds up fairly well, though it obviously sounds like an early 1970s rock and roll

record. That's the only one I have. Maybe the glam rock section was getting too crowded or the

Dolls were, in their own words, too much, too soon, and too freaky.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

The first album holds up fairly well, though it obviously sounds like an early 1970s rock and roll

record. That's the only one I have. Maybe the glam rock section was getting too crowded or the

Dolls were, in their own words, too much, too soon, and too freaky.  

I have both and you're right, the first is great.  The 2nd is almost as good!  I think they were too "challenging" (weird) for mass appeal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I have both and you're right, the first is great.  The 2nd is almost as good!  I think they were too "challenging" (weird) for mass appeal. 

Yeah, they were too out there for regular pop music audiences. I wonder if they would have done

any better if they had first came out during the late 1970s NYC new wave era. Guess we'll never know.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

This is 1990 :

 

T'would be tragic to define the whole decade's music by that.  :huh:

A few of my preferences from the '90's were....

 

 

 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...