Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

The album All Summer Long I no longer own, but the title track is one of my very favorites of THE BEACH BOYS :

It was so rare that you got to hear the voice of Dennis Wilson doing a solo. But he does a very brief, but haltingly beautiful, one on the "All Summer Long" album in the song for the movie: " Girls on the Beach ".

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

It was so rare that you got to hear the voice of Dennis Wilson doing a solo. But he does a very brief, but haltingly beautiful, one on the "All Summer Long" album in the song for the movie: " Girls on the Beach ".

I'm listening to the reissue of DENNIS WILSON Pacific Ocean Blue

Pacific-Ocean-Blue-cover-1503517158-640x

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

🌽 But I like it.

More familiar with brother MIKE...(and a Detroit boy) since his stint on Lawrence Welk, and then....

And sister Suzi mostly from......(and with sisters Patti and Nancy)----

Sepiatone

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I love THE BEACH BOYS and my first album of theirs was a used copy of Best of The Beach Boys Vol. 2... then I went through a phase of buying many of their albums in the 1980s that were still in print (and BUTCHERED).  This one, one of my top 10 favorite albums, was never butchered like so many of their others :

The-Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds.jpg

How do you mean "butchered"?  

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Tracks were removed from a few of their classic albums by the '80s before CDs came along.

With the anniversary Pet Sounds CD I got both the mono and the stereo versions of the album.

Mono is more authentic to my thinking because that's the way Brian first heard it and meant for it to be because he's deaf in his right ear. 

• Like 1

Sorry, Laffite.....

But I still prefer the version of the first time I heard the song.......

But, if you NEED a female "cover", how 'bout---

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Tracks were removed from a few of their classic albums by the '80s before CDs came along.

And I've also often wondered about different versions of the same song on different albums, or otherwise.  For instance....

My buddy(back "when") and I both had Bob Dyan's "Highway 61 Revisited" album.  But his had a different version of "From A Buick 6" on his than I had on mine.  Neither of us could figure or find out why.  Just like there's different versions of, say....

The Beatles' "Get Back", on which one ends with john's blather about giving thanks from "me and the boys,"  and "We hope we passed the audition."  

And "Penny Lane" with different endings too.  One with just a fading tone, and another with a last, short refrain from the piccolo trumpet.

But I've never came across copies of any particular LP with tracks that were missing from any other copies I've seen.  That is odd!

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

The Beatles' "Get Back", on which one ends with john's blather about giving thanks from "me and the boys,"  and "We hope we passed the audition."  

And "Penny Lane" with different endings too.  One with just a fading tone, and another with a last, short refrain from the piccolo trumpet.

But I've never came across copies of any particular LP with tracks that were missing from any other copies I've seen.  That is odd!

The version of "Get Back" on the Let It Be album was different from the single version indeed. 

The "Penny Lane" variation was not released until years after breakup and the 45 and the months later Magical Mystery Tour album (and better than with the trumpet riff).  I've got that in a 1970s Rarities release). 

Don't forget the butchery that THE ROLLING STONES and THE BEATLES experienced with different album releases in the USA vs the UK.  Such stopped for BEATLES and soon STONES by 1967.  Album covers were also sometimes different for artists (think Electric Ladyland) in USA vs UK releases. 

• Thanks 1

Sure.  "Import" LP s usually had different cover art than U.S. releases.  Or titles, as in "With The Beatles" in the UK as opposed to Capitol's U.S. release, "Meet The Beatles".  and with a couple different tracks on it that "With".  

BTW... Still have that ELECTRIC LADYLAND import vinyl with the naked ladies cover.  ;) 

Sepiatone

51 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure.  "Import" LP s usually had different cover art than U.S. releases.  Or titles, as in "With The Beatles" in the UK as opposed to Capitol's U.S. release, "Meet The Beatles".  and with a couple different tracks on it that "With".  

BTW... Still have that ELECTRIC LADYLAND import vinyl with the naked ladies cover.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Not usually. 

It was the naked ladies that was considered objectionable to USA buyers (dumb).  I had both on vinyl... the 2nd being a UK import... just for the cover! 

So, does anyone but me remember Johnny Winter's second album( titled "Second Winter" of course  ;) )   Had TWO 12' platters with only THREE sides pressed?

Johnny's explanation was that they recorded all they planned to, had nothing more and refused to omit any tracks.  And he expressed surprise that the LABEL( Columbia) went for the idea of pressing three sides!  ;)   And to this day one of my top 5 favorite LPs

Sepiatone

• Like 1

From what I recall, the toilet cover was not used in either the U.S. or the U.K. and maybe nowhere else

either. The gatefold photo was pretty cool though.

• Thanks 1
On 6/29/2020 at 10:28 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sorry, Laffite.....

But I still prefer the version of the first time I heard the song.......

Sepiatone

Simply one of the most perfect Bacharach-David arranged conducted and performed recording there ever was.

The only other thing to say is Jack Jones is truly a singer's singer.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

From what I recall, the toilet cover was not used in either the U.S. or the U.K. and maybe nowhere else

either. The gatefold photo was pretty cool though.

I suppose you're right.  I do know my own copy looked like the RSVP invitation.

EDIT : I looked into it; you're right the toilet cover was rejected by their label so I remembered wrong.  Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

So, does anyone but me remember Johnny Winter's second album( titled "Second Winter" of course

Yes.  I never owned a copy.  I think JOHNNY was more talented than his brother. 

I beg to differ a bit.

Edgar is surely more MULTI instrumentally talented.  And until a more recent discovery of mine, we all probably thought it was limited to keyboards and saxophone.  But then, I saw THIS-----

And I WOULD have preferred to see THIS footage in the documentary WOODSTOCK rather than some other footage by other performers.....

(speaking to someone who appreciates Johnny's talent.  ;) )

Sepiatone

• Like 1

^ All I can say is the only record I ever owned by either brother is They Only Come Out At Night, but JOHNNY as you show there was astounding. 

Today is a warm humid day in NJ... a perfect day for Exotica :

ARTHUR LYMAN Taboo 

R-9147988-1475607230-7709.gif.jpg

17 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I suppose you're right.  I do know my own copy looked like the RSVP invitation.

EDIT : I looked into it; you're right the toilet cover was rejected by their label so I remembered wrong.  Thanks! 

I remember the stories about the censored toilet cover when the album came out. I believe I bought it

soon after it was released. I like the plain album cover anyway. This is still my favorite Stones' album

of the ones I own, which is admittedly a fairly small sample.

• Like 1