Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

31 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I remember the stories about the censored toilet cover when the album came out. I believe I bought it

soon after it was released. I like the plain album cover anyway. This is still my favorite Stones' album

of the ones I own, which is admittedly a fairly small sample.

It is one of their greatest albums, but I'm sure I've asserted that I've not heard a STONES album I didn't like.  I have at least 12 STONES albums on CD all uploaded.  I might have one or two left of vinyl, but had mostly different ones on vinyl than CD! 

18 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

It is one of their greatest albums, but I'm sure I've asserted that I've not heard a STONES album I didn't like.  I have at least 12 STONES albums on CD all uploaded.  I might have one or two left of vinyl, but had mostly different ones on vinyl than CD! 

I don't have any Stones LPs  I have several Stones songs from various albums that my daughter compiled onto  a few discs though.  Never seemed to be enough on one LP to make me buying one sensible.  But like we always say....  "to each".  ;) 

Rummaging through my CDs I came across this reissue, which when released was 'bout as big as "Frampton Comes Alive" got to be....

(one of my favorite cuts from it)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I don't have any Stones on CD, about half a dozen studio albums on vinyl, plus a live album and the

first greatest hits LP. I had the second one with the octagonal cover, but somebody stole it. That

really p****d me off. 

• Like 1

Well if we're going in that direction:    The B2's CD is the only non-Jazz CD I have from an American band.    When most folks looked at my CD collection,  where they didn't recognize 99% of the artist,   this clearly stood out.   They were surprised I would like this music.    I like it for the complete opposite reason I love jazz;  it's sheer rawness and musical simplicity.

22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't have any Stones LPs  I have several Stones songs from various albums that my daughter compiled onto  a few discs though.  Never seemed to be enough on one LP to make me buying one sensible.  But like we always say....  "to each".  ;) 

Rummaging through my CDs I came across this reissue, which when released was 'bout as big as "Frampton Comes Alive" got to be....

(one of my favorite cuts from it)

Sepiatone

I saw them live 3 times in the early 70's.A very  good band it was a good seller for them, a gold record i.e half a million units not as big as Frampton's though,you should listen to their follow up,a very good studio album titled 'Grand Hotel ' from 1973.Ther 1971 lp Broken Barricades is very good ,their last with Robin Trower on guitar.

• Thanks 1

Procol Harum 'Toujours l'amour' from Grand Hotel i always liked it then, not the most important one on the album but i think it is very good.

57 minutes ago, nakano said:

I saw them live 3 times in the early 70's.A very  good band it was a good seller for them, a gold record i.e half a million units not as big as Frampton's though,you should listen to their follow up,a very good studio album titled 'Grand Hotel ' from 1973.Ther 1971 lp Broken Barricades is very good ,their last with Robin Trower on guitar.

Thanks.  I've heard "Grand Hotel".  It's a good one too.  But a favorite LP of theirs(and the title tune too) remains-----

Always wondered if the company that made the PLAYER'S NAVY CUT cigarettes gave permission for that cover... ;) 

Sepiatone

Working on playing the song Joy Spring,  a song written by Clifford Brown,  a jazz musician:  based on the harmonic structure one can tell this was written by a jazz musician  but it doesn't sound too technical (e.g.   the many key changes flow smoothly).

This version has Emily Remler;  She was a first rate jazz musician.  I first saw here when she was 24.   She was so shy,,, I also saw her years later 2 months before her death (sadly of an overdose).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/2/2020 at 6:30 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I like it for the complete opposite reason I love jazz;  it's sheer rawness and musical simplicity.

Not to mention it's wonderfully absurd and tuneful.  

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

How about what a buddy of mine used to call "F**K ROCK"!  ;) 

Sepiatone

TIM BUCKLEY!  I have his first 5 CDs in one of those mini-album box set...all uploaded.  I listen to them all 2 or 3 times a year.   BUT!  I have none of the later ones, which are probably the best!  Nice! 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

TIM BUCKLEY!  I have his first 5 CDs in one of those mini-album box set...all uploaded.  I listen to them all 2 or 3 times a year.   BUT!  I have none of the later ones, which are probably the best!  Nice! 

• Thanks 2

I have seen Tim Buckley in concert  with Curtis Mayfield both opening for Frank Zappa and his Grand Wazoo Orchestra.Buckley was on his label Discreet if i remember well and he was also on his earlier label Straight.Itook photos of him as i made my way very close to the stage unfortunately my photos of the 3 acts were destroyed...

zappa.jpg

• Thanks 2

Sadly, "Greetings From LA" is the only Buckley recording I have (on both vinyl and CD) and knew of him mostly from more well to do friends who could afford to buy a lot of albums back in the "day", and also through plenty of "undergraound" FM rock station airplay. No success?  Well, no "commercial" success maybe, But then, he never really did "commercial" type music, eh?(and thankfully). He had one huge "cult" following.  And now, let's enjoy some early magic.  ;) 

Sepiatone

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

No success?  Well, no "commercial" success maybe, But then, he never really did "commercial" type music, eh?(and thankfully). He had one huge "cult" following.

He had huge enough of a "cult following" to keep him supplied with drugs... his second album was ALMOST commercial. 

• Thanks 1